Playoffs: Suns @ Clippers Thursday game thread 4-20-2023 - Game 3

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we kinda know that Kawhi is an elite player. Penny I agree with and I’ll also throw Grant Hill and T-Mac into the hat. These three are guys who could’ve legit been Top-20-25 players in the NBA but derailed by chronic and serious injuries
Bernard King belongs on that list too. He came back and played another 5 or 6 years but he was a shell of the superstar he had been prior to injury.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have zero confidence when we face a wounded team. We did pretty well against injured opponents the year we went to the finals but otherwise, we've generally looked lifeless when we've faced undermanned teams.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Well, one thing for certain: if we lose to them tonight with no Leonard, the momentum kill for the Suns will be significantly destructive (if not near impossible) to overcome. Talk about a belly drop.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kawhi Leonard put two different franchises on his back and willed them to a championship. Talentwise, you absolutely can put up in the 20 players of all time. But, he doesn't have the career stats.

Maybe this is going to parallel 2021. Every team we played in the Western Conference playoffs that year had a major injury or two. The Suns were healthier than any opponent. Injuries could turn on us real quick too.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we kinda know that Kawhi is an elite player. Penny I agree with and I’ll also throw Grant Hill and T-Mac into the hat. These three are guys who could’ve legit been Top-20-25 players in the NBA but derailed by chronic and serious injuries

Yeah all those guys were elite but Kawhi at 100% for his entire career is scary. His career has been a shell and he still has 2 rings with two finals MVPs and a 2x defensive player of the year.

I think a healthy Kawhi effects Lebrons legacy the most if he’s healthy cause he’s def getting more rings than two.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I always get worried when the opponent's star or stars are out. I hope they come ready to play from the opening moment of the game.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, we saw the Grizzlies yesterday pull off a W without Morant, Adams and Clarke. That's 3 of their top 7 and their MVP candidate. This team better not take tonight for granted.
Yeah, but they were going against the sorry Lakers.

Nevertheless, yes I am somewhat worried about a letdown.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If they let themselves have a letdown in game 3 of a 1-1 playoff series than they deserve to lose.
We just don't seem to get pumped up for games like this. And the Clippers will be playing at home and with no pressure with Kawhi out. Still, I expect us to win but I hate the fact that a loss for us tonight will hurt even more than usual because of this.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do we know who is replacing Kawhi in their starting lineup? I would imagine it'll take multiple Clippers to cover his production offensively but defensively they will really miss what he brings. Wouldn't be shocked if they start Covington in his place to guard KD. He hasn't seen time yet but he's probably their best defensive forward they'll have available.

Dr dumas

Veteran
Reaction score
Kawhi is probably their best on ball defender. If there ever was a game for Durant to go off, it should be tonight.

Suns win this one easy!