Commanders sold for $6 Billion Dollars

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or the washington generals lol jkin :)

Really, this is the best name I can think of at the moment, but unfortunately it's already taken.

Also, it would be a running joke for basketball fans.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
Definitely wasn't my intent. I've been a FB Cardinals' fan since 1947. And a Baseball Cardinals' fan since 1945. So on the FB side, it's been a tough ride. I was happy when the team was in STL, but, imo, Bill Bidwill was lied to when he was convinced to move to Arizona with promises of a new stadium, etc. Took forever to get the stadium, but since we had it the team did okay. But, now we've in a downward spiral and many are calling for the team to be sold. I'm inferring that you should be careful for what you wish for. And if that is bait, it wasn't my intent. People of STL were really screwed by Stan Koronke (Sp?) who got a stadium and then moved to LA. At least Mr. B moved because he didn't get a stadium in STL and believed the Arizona people who told him that he'd get one near term in AZ.
This is not an entirely true statement. BB was offered a stadium in the west valley where Desert Sky Pavilion (at least that is what it was called when I lived there). The land would have been donated by John F. Long, his requirement to do so was naming rights for the stadium. Apparently BB had to foresight to see that stadium naming rights would pay teams millions upon millions, so he rejected the offer. So he was offered a stadium but turned down the offer.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I'm inferring that you should be careful for what you wish for.
No thx. Bidwill is uniquely bad, and a relic of the past. Nobody like Bidwill will be buying an NFL team anytime soon, so it's less of a concern in general.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is not an entirely true statement. BB was offered a stadium in the west valley where Desert Sky Pavilion (at least that is what it was called when I lived there). The land would have been donated by John F. Long, his requirement to do so was naming rights for the stadium. Apparently BB had to foresight to see that stadium naming rights would pay teams millions upon millions, so he rejected the offer. So he was offered a stadium but turned down the offer.

My memory is hazy on the matter.

I remember John F. Long was willing to donate the land, but I can't remember him being willing to build the stadium as well.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
My memory is hazy on the matter.

I remember John F. Long was willing to donate the land, but I can't remember him being willing to build the stadium as well.
No he wasn't building the stadium. The tax payers were paying for most the stadium. I don't remember how the taxes were set up, if it was a tourism tax or local tax. Then BB was supposed to pay for part of it too, juts like they did for the stadium they have now. My point was a stadium was offered but it wasn't the what BB wanted. I think, if he thinks he got swindled then he should have had every deal in a signed contract, long before spending millions to move the team.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
W/o knowing any of the details, I'm guessing that it was such a good deal that BB said, "No thanks, we'd prefer playing at SDS".

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
It’s THAT Brian Davis?!? Holy cow where did he get his to get in the franchise buying game???
If you read the linked article and other articles, I get the impression he hasn't been able to back up his alleged offer. Might be real, but also might be smoke and mirrors. Who knows?

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
Please sell to people who will move the team back to St. Louis. Great fans who will support the team and it's where the Cardinals belong. Arizona then can be in consideration for a team when the NFL expands.
the city of St Louis is an awful place to try and build a stadium

Fiasco

Tyler Durden
Reaction score
I remember 30k attendance at SDS and I’ve experienced plenty of the football tourism at the toaster.

If Phoenix wasn’t a vacation destination they wouldn’t be selling out the stadium. When I had ST’s the seats in my section were constantly full of non red.

The Rams were still drawing 50k even after years of sabotage and with the city being well aware they were leaving.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Commanders’ record sale agreed to by Snyder family, Harris group that includes Magic Johnson

ASHBURN, Va. (AP) — A group led by Josh Harris that includes Magic Johnson has agreed to buy the NFL’s Washington Commanders from longtime owner Dan Snyder and his family.

The sides announced the deal in a joint statement Friday, roughly a month after they reached an agreement in principle on the sale for a record $6.05 billion.

The deal is the highest price paid for a North American professional sports franchise, surpassing the $4.55 billion Walmart heir Robert Walton paid for the Denver Broncos last year. It is still pending approval of three-quarters of owners and other customary closing conditions.

“We are very pleased to have reached an agreement for the sale of the Commanders franchise with Josh Harris, an area native, and his impressive group of partners,” Snyder and wife Tanya said in the statement. “We look forward to the prompt completion of this transaction and to rooting for Josh and the team in the coming years.”

It was not immediately clear what latitude Harris and Rales might have to make their own changes to the team name, logo or other aspects of design, or if they have any interest in changing course when they take over.

Cardinal Bob

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
...and that loud noise we're all hearing is millions of 'Skins fans in the DMV rejoicing that Danny Boy is gone-zo!...loudly singling "ding dong, the witch is dead, the witch is dead, the witch is dead...ding dong the wicked witch is dead!!!

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
...and that loud noise we're all hearing is millions of 'Skins fans in the DMV rejoicing that Danny Boy is gone-zo!...loudly singling "ding dong, the witch is dead, the witch is dead, the witch is dead...ding dong the wicked witch is dead!!!
As a lifelong Marylander, you couldn’t be more right. I’m almost 40 and haven’t heard a single nice thing said about him since I was in high school. Personally, I’m a little crushed over this. I detest the team, have since I was young, and really enjoyed watching them continually suck. I seriously fear they could become good again and watching them succeed is just a notch below watching the Cardinals blow for me. Rivera is a good coach IMO and is building a team that fights relentlessly. They’re a QB away from being damn good and that makes me miserable.

Red on White

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't think it is about money with Bidwill. Not only is it a family tradition/business, but he also thrives on the power and the perceived influence he has that allows him to rub elbows with people he would otherwise have no business meeting/dealing with.
Also going through game tape weekly with the Head Coach

Football Fantasy Camp