CFB & Prospect Discussion Thread:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Watching GMFB this morning and learned a couple new things about Jalen Carter...maybe it's been mentioned, but I hadn't seen it. I knew about legal issues...I knew about leaving combine early...I knew he couldn't finish his pro day...what I didn't know: gained a bunch of weight (out of shape), has still never completed a 40 or bench press for scouts, refused to do any visits with teams not picking in the top 10.

Gaining weight and out of shape: not the 1st and won't be the last prospect to hit the banquet circuit and ignore the gym, but usually these guys get back in shape for their pro day or will conduct private workouts, when they are ready to go.

Not completing fundamentals for scouts: this is actually pretty shocking to me. So far he's showing he may have deficiencies being coached, IMO.

Refusing to visit teams outside the top 10: Again pretty shocking. There could have easily been a team that sees him slide to 7-10 and think he's worth trading up for....but if I was a team in the 11-20 range and I see him get to 7-10, at this point I roll the dice that he'll slide further and it won't cost anything to trade up for him.

Bottom line is the kid is either getting really bad advice or he's ignoring good advice...and it's going to cost him $$$.
Agree. These are BIG warning flags at this juncture.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Tyree Wilson on GMFB this morning was a good segment. They pretty much announced him as the 3rd overall pick to AZ. Watching him pick up Kyle Brandt was hilarious.

They also had Anderson on set, on Monday (IIRC)....His segment was good too. He definitely has a lot of confidence.

NMCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Tyree Wilson on GMFB this morning was a good segment. They pretty much announced him as the 3rd overall pick to AZ. Watching him pick up Kyle Brandt was hilarious.

They also had Anderson on set, on Monday (IIRC)....His segment was good too. He definitely has a lot of confidence.
Would not be surprised if Wilson goes 2nd with Houston. He is probably a better fit for Ryan. Plus they have ammo to trade spots for Hooker later on in the draft.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I’d say Skoronski or Wright based on positional flexibility - could start either at OG and then kick them out to OT later.

I did a mock a day or two ago where Skoronski was still there at #34. Not very realistic, but I virtually twisted my ankle running to the podium with that pick.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
The fact that he did this makes me like him already. I have tend to find that people who are not afraid to do goofy things lean toward having an open mind (not worry so much about what other people think) and an open mind tends to be willing to listen and learn than a close mind.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The fact that he did this makes me like him already. I have tend to find that people who are not afraid to do goofy things lean toward having an open mind (not worry so much about what other people think) and an open mind tends to be willing to listen and learn than a close mind.

I have nothing against Tyree as a person. He seems nice. And for sure he is a freaky sized person. Lot's of the traits you looks for in Edge in abundance.

I just don't think he's that good at football. Technically speaking. Get off, hands, moves, bend are all very sub par for me.

Who knows. Proof is in the pudding. I just hope it's someone else's pudding bowl.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
I have nothing against Tyree as a person. He seems nice. And for sure he is a freaky sized person. Lot's of the traits you looks for in Edge in abundance.

I just don't think he's that good at football. Technically speaking. Get off, hands, moves, bend are all very sub par for me.

Who knows. Proof is in the pudding. I just hope it's someone else's pudding bowl.
If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

A First Team All American isn't good at football.

Nonsense.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A First Team All American isn't good at football.

Nonsense.

He gets results through being physically far superior to anyone he faces with very little skill or technique. I did explain that in the post.

All the things I want to see from an Edge he doesn't yet have.

The best pass rusher in the league for me is Micah Parsons. Certainly the one I enjoy watching the most. He's 245lbs and has 31.5 inch arms. I'm far less bothered about physical traits than I am about technique and skill.

Also lots of 1st team All Americans aren't good at football and go in the later rounds. We have 3 recent ones that so far haven't done much.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Yep.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
He gets results through being physically far superior to anyone he faces with very little skill or technique. I did explain that in the post.

All the things I want to see from an Edge he doesn't yet have.

The best pass rusher in the league for me is Micah Parsons. Certainly the one I enjoy watching the most. He's 245lbs and has 31.5 inch arms. I'm far less bothered about physical traits than I am about technique and skill.

Also lots of 1st team All Americans aren't good at football and go in the later rounds. We have 3 recent ones that so far haven't done much.
Here's my small rebuttal...

Just like you can't teach speed to a receiver, you also can't teach physicality...You know what you can teach? Technique. Remember when people were fine not drafting DK Metcalf, because the knock on him was he could only run fast in straight lines? We immediately regretted that. Now, if the kid doesn't have the brains to listen and be coached, that's an entirely different issue.

At the end of the day, I have zero idea on who will be the better player, between Anderson and Wilson...I'm just not ready to count either of them out.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Just like you can't teach speed to a receiver, you also can't teach physicality...You know what you can teach? Technique. Remember when people were fine not drafting DK Metcalf, because the knock on him was he could only run fast in straight lines? We immediately regretted that. Now, if the kid doesn't have the brains to listen and be coached, that's an entirely different issue.

At the end of the day, I have zero idea on who will be the better player, between Anderson and Wilson...I'm just not ready to count either of them out.

I agree with all that generally. My problem is that Wilson is a 5th year player and is still really bad at a lot of things he shouldn't be bad at. He just screams of a guy that's relying on his physical advantage, and even then it took him years to make use of it. That's just not something he's going to have in the NFL.

I don't know who will be better. I only know who is likely to be better on the available evidence. That's definitely Anderson. Easily. The whole ceiling and floor thing.

But there are always players that surprise.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Athletic has an article of which schools are better at developing talent. Some interesting numbers here. This is over 11 years.

Big OOF for Texas and Sooner fans.

From 5-star to NFL Draft – Top 10

TEAM5-STARS SIGNED5-STARS DRAFTED% DRAFTED
Stanford6583.3%
Clemson161275.0%
Texas A&M11872.7%
Miami7571.4%
Alabama443068.2%
Florida181266.7%
Penn State6466.7%
Ohio State231565.2%
Georgia342264.7%
Florida State271659.3%

From 5-star to NFL Draft – Bottom 10

TEAM5-STARS SIGNED5-STARS DRAFTED% DRAFTED
Texas17423.5%
Oklahoma12325.0%
Auburn13430.8%
Tennessee10440.0%
Notre Dame7342.9%
UCLA9444.4%
Ole Miss9444.4%
LSU211047.6%
Oregon6350.0%
USC291551.7%

There's data for other star grades in the article too.

ACC has the best conference record. Don't go to the Big 12.

5-stars% Drafted4-stars% Drafted3-stars% Drafted
ACC64.6%ACC25.6%SEC9.7%
Big Ten63.6%SEC23.1%Big Ten8.9%
SEC59.6%Big Ten21.7%ACC8.5%
Pac-1258.6%Big 1219.0%Pac-128.1%
Big 1228.6%Pac-1218.9%Big 126.7%

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I agree with all that generally. My problem is that Wilson is a 5th year player and is still really bad at a lot of things he shouldn't be bad at.
And he's really good at things that others aren't. He's really good at something that can't be taught.
He just screams of a guy that's relying on his physical advantage, and even then it took him years to make use of it. That's just not something he's going to have in the NFL.
He didn't play much early at Texas Tech and then transferred during COVID year, and then started to play lights out.

Joe Burrow really sucked too until his last season.
I don't know who will be better. I only know who is likely to be better on the available evidence. That's definitely Anderson. Easily. The whole ceiling and floor thing.
I disagree on ceiling, because Wilson has a much bigger frame, he can do more. Wilson had higher pass rush percentage than Anderson even though he hasn't developed pass rush moves yet, other than a monster bull rush.

What I worry about Anderson is whether he can bull rush NFL tackles. If he can't, he'll be limited.
But there are always players that surprise.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Exactly.

Lots of pass rushers come out with only one or two moves. Even Anderson if you take away his bull rush, he's not very effective. Anderson got a lot of sacks with stunts, so essentially schemed up sacks.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Actually, 'Proof of a pudding is in the eating.' It may look good, and smell good, but you don't know until you bite in.