Would you trade Budda?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
To idiots like me that have a 3 years lease for Club Seats. I'm on my last year and there are lots of empty seats in the Club section. Little did I know when I renewed in 2021. I had hope. Oh well the special teams should be good and can always watch the lovely cheer leaders.:bang:
How sad would it be if, after all that effort to sign nothing but special teams players, we ended up bottom of the league in special teams?

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Maybe a more interesting experiment is building a case that he actually should be the highest paid safety in the league. Good luck. This isn’t Troy Polomalu. Maybe Doug Polomalu, but not Troy.
The Cardinals caving to this nonsense would be stupid, and everyone knows it.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I think people here are deluded.

They filled the stadium with Steve Wilks, Mike McCoy and Sam Bradford.

The people that go to games are the people that have followed the team through far worse periods than recent history.
Yeah, I get what you’re saying but I think some people, not me, think the Cards aren’t even trying to put an entertaining team on the field. If the Cards don’t end up with a consensus, strong draft they may have a problem. At least the opponents fans can get tickets.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Yeah, I get what you’re saying but I think some people, not me, think the Cards aren’t even trying to put an entertaining team on the field. If the Cards don’t end up with a consensus, strong draft they may have a problem. At least the opponents fans can get tickets.
They always have. Money talks. It is embarrassing the number of Steeler, Packers, Cowboys etc fans in our stadium.

Last edited:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I get the feeling, by the construction of the roster, the Cardinals are looking to rebuild the roster through the draft. This means a losing season with the eye at drafting a quarterback the following season.

I've often wondered if the Cardinals liked a quarterback at #3, would they be better off jumping starting the rebuild process and draft a quarterback now. Of course, they may still believe Kyler Murray is that guy or want to give him another opportunity. Then there is the matter of his contract.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I remember people saying that we could easily replace Anquan's on field leadership after he left. That still hasn't happened, at least on offense.

I have always thought Budda is a little overrated as a player, but the guy obviously possess enviable leadership skills. Those kind of traits are extra important when you have one of the youngest coaching staffs ever assembled. Reducing Budda to just a guy who plays safety greatly understates his actual value.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Some players may act that way after not getting their way but I really don’t get the sense that is Budda. I suspect he would show up and do his job the same way he always has.

A guy who demands a trade after they refuse to bow to his contract demand is going to be a problem.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A guy who demands a trade after they refuse to bow to his contract demand is going to be a problem.
So everything in your world is black and white…no shades of gray…and whatever color you choose is the only real possibility?

As for Budda, if he relations with the team moving forward I guarantee he will not be a problem.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What is 98.7 saying? What they say on air is what the team said them to do for their propaganda

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
While I doubt there wouldn’t be a healthy list of willing suitors, the staff couldn’t get away with repeatedly praising him as they have and then move him without losing massive credibility in and out of the locker room.
Meant it then and, sadly, I still do.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Trading Budda - Every bone in my body shouts “don’t do it.” A train wreck in slow motion that guarantees. a decade or two of mediocrity.

The Cardinals have barely ever been this in their history, and I guess mediocre by averages the past two decades, with a few (mostly unsustainable) great seasons and a few completely miserable seasons sprinkled throughout.

I'm up for trying a clean slate. It's a bit of a rotating wait and see, but I'll wait until after the draft next year/before training camp (as far as player personnel) before I'm willing to pull my hair out and call out the sky is falling.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you have it backwards. He demanded a trade. Then upped the ante by saying if they try and keep him he won’t play unless he is the highest paid safety.

Clearly this is a guy who has had enough and is done with this team. He knows the Cards won’t make him the highest paid safety.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think you have it backwards. He demanded a trade. Then upped the ante by saying if they try and keep him he won’t play unless he is the highest paid safety.

Clearly this is a guy who has had enough and is done with this team. He knows the Cards won’t make him the highest paid safety.

And where would I find a story with that sequence of events?

One way or another, he made it about money.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I don't think that either.

This team would beat the 2018 team about 40-7. It's not even close.

If they sold out then they will sell out this year. I have no doubts.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Oh, they're not trying to put an entertaining team on the field. I don't think that's even in question. Nor should they be. Everyone and their mothers know 2023 is a tank year. You don't try to entertain in a tank year. Now, I wish they had given us a sliver of hope for the future, a good plan we can see and agree with. That would have been a simple ask, but alas, it was too much to ask for.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I remember people saying that we could easily replace Anquan's on field leadership after he left. That still hasn't happened, at least on offense.

I have always thought Budda is a little overrated as a player, but the guy obviously possess enviable leadership skills. Those kind of traits are extra important when you have one of the youngest coaching staffs ever assembled. Reducing Budda to just a guy who plays safety greatly understates his actual value.
Budda is a very good player, but not a great player. If he was, he might have had a greater impact on our overall D. Let's be honest, has it been a great D in the time that Budda has been here? Far from it. Leadership skills? Maybe. But, we watched him during the HBO special last year week after week get very emotional & implore his team to play better. It pretty much fell on deaf ears. It's almost like his fellow teammates wanted him to sit down and shut up. He plays fast, and he plays hard. Unfortunately, he plays a position that doesn't impact a D enough to demand the kind of guaranteed money he wants.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Budda is a very good player, but not a great player. If he was, he might have had a greater impact on our overall D. Let's be honest, has it been a great D in the time that Budda has been here? Far from it. Leadership skills? Maybe. But, we watched him during the HBO special last year week after week get very emotional & implore his team to play better. It pretty much fell on deaf ears. It's almost like his fellow teammates wanted him to sit down and shut up. He plays fast, and he plays hard. Unfortunately, he plays a position that doesn't impact a D enough to demand the kind of guaranteed money he wants.

Budda is a great player, and a great person to have in the locker room and off the field.

He is also overrated. His style of play and the splash plays he makes (especially tackling downfield) sticks in the mind of fans and players when it comes to Pro Bowl and All pro voting. They appreciate that style of play (as do we) and it garners him greater attention than his play generally deserves. His run defense has always been far superior to his average ball skills.

I don't even think we use him right. He's clearly a better box safety where he could influence the game more.

At the same time we all know safeties don't influence games that much. All players have some influence but they aren't even top 3 on defense, never mind both sides.

I'm sure there were similar concerns raised here in 2012 when the 5-11 Cards released A-Dub and replaced him with 35 year old Yeremiah Bell and subsequently went 10-6.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'm sure there were similar concerns raised here in 2012 when the 5-11 Cards released A-Dub and replaced him with 35 year old Yeremiah Bell and subsequently went 10-6.
I think the consensus was that ADub was washed when he left. He was also 33 years old.

There was also a young player named Tyrann Mathieu and two experienced corners in Patrick Peterson and Jerraud Powers needing less coverage help.

The past two years Budda has been covering the sins of Marco Wilson and Antonio Hamilton.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the consensus was that ADub was washed when he left. He was also 33 years old.

There was also a young player named Tyrann Mathieu and two experienced corners in Patrick Peterson and Jerraud Powers needing less coverage help.

The past two years Budda has been covering the sins of Marco Wilson and Antonio Hamilton.

You're exact quote in the Wilson thread is,

"We're going to lose a lot of games this year, methinks."

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose