Budda requests trade

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do you think maybe, just maybe, if you put good players around other good players (especially one that is respected and a locker room leader) that the team improves? I don't see how trading a known quantity for an unknown makes us any better.

There is such a thing as good players on bad teams. Aeneas Williams was a HOF player on multiple bad teams, just because he only had 1 winning season during his stint in AZ doesn't take away from that. It's a shame they never surrounded him with better talent or coaching.

Just like with Aeneas, him wanting out says more about how he feels about the direction of this franchise than it does about the player.

I think if you have other good players then who you have at free safety makes very little difference.

As demonstrated by Marcus Epps, Justin Reid and Tashuan Gipson all starting in divisional games this year.

Epps just signed for $6m per year. Reid is getting paid $10.5m per year, and Gipson just signed a $2.9m 1 year extension.

I love Baker. Let him go try win something elsewhere. I don't blame him for that at all. But this hand wringing like he's some crucial difference maker to an obvious rebuilding team is just silly. Budda won't make the slightest difference next year, but the picks and cap saving will make more difference in the long run.

Not only that, but I'd like to think it was planned this way. Having no G's left after 2 years for a 27 year old safety and having $12m per year invested in your other safety shouts to me that they always wanted this as an option.

You don't tie up $27m in your safety room.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He is not going to be the highest paid safety in the league. It would totally blow our budget for paying 1 million 1 year contracts to practice squad level journeymen.

But he could get traded. We could get like 14 NFL minimum guys and a third day draft pick to boot. That fits into the plan the way I see it

Building through the draft is my motto.

And in the meantime, I'm ok with $1m single-season contracts.

If these guys want another million and free chicks, they'd better bust their asses. ;)

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The way contracts for highest paid works is someone else in less than a year will be highest paid...you already know this..forget about it....

Well, if you think BUDDA should be the highest-paid Safety in the League then you're (IMO) in a party of two: You and Budda.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The way contracts for highest paid works is someone else in less than a year will be highest paid...you already know this..forget about it....

Believe me, it's already forgotten because it isn't happening in AZ, and that's for the good (IMO).

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
lol the Cards have the 3rd highest cap hit in the safety room this year already and we only have 2 rosterable safeties at the moment.

Next year it's 2nd.

That's simply not sustainable for a team that's rebuilding.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Well yeah, that's the point. That's why we made him the highest safety 2 years ago.

There's no point if you keep making him the highest paid safety.

urs

All Star
Reaction score
I'm really going to miss Budda's winning drive and never say die attitude that led to one winning season in 6.

It's almost as if you win with a good team, and having one good player on a bad team makes no difference.
Damn...pains me to agree so completely with BritCard on something

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Why do people still try to use cap hit as an excuse to trade/let someone go?
Just a couple years ago the Rams had big money players Jalen Ramsey, Aaron Donald, Cooper Kupp, Matt Stafford, Andrew Whitworth, Brockers, Von Miller, OBJ, another good rush LB who's name escapes me, the other WR(since traded) was also well compensated and they won the SB.

Acquire good players, keep them and pay them, win games.....what a novel concept.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just a couple years ago the Rams had big money players Jalen Ramsey, Aaron Donald, Cooper Kupp, Matt Stafford, Andrew Whitworth, Brockers, Von Miller, OBJ, another good rush LB who's name escapes me, the other WR(since traded) was also well compensated and they won the SB.

Acquire good players, keep them and pay them, win games.....what a novel concept.

Yeah that's something you do at the end of the process, not the beginning.

We're looking at a 2-3 year rebuild. By which point Budda is either gone or 30 years old.

Hell we don't yet even know if we have a QB capable of taking a team to a SB.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Yeah that's something you do at the end of the process, not the beginning.

We're looking at a 2-3 year rebuild. By which point Budda is either gone or 30 years old.

Hell we don't yet even know if we have a QB capable of taking a team to a SB.

It does not take 2-3 years in the NFL to do a rebuild to a competitive football team. Lets also not act like 30 yrs old is old for a NFL safety to be playing at a high level.

This is Baghdad Bob level of nonsense.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Gannon and Rallis both couldn't stop praising Budda less than 2 months ago. I'm sure they are thrilled with this development.

This isn't part of some master rebuilding plan. This is a franchise on fire losing the last of what's good.

But, hey, cap space!!!

https://cardswire.usatoday.com/2023/02/25/arizona-cardinals-violent-budda-baker-nick-rallis/

“Budda sets the standard on how you play this game,” Rallis said at his introductory press conference. “It is violent. It is high-motor 24-7.”

He also said that there are “all kinds of guys on this defense who play at that standard” but Baker was the one he made sure to point out.

Rallis wants more Budda-like play.

“We’re going to continue to demand to push that even further and for everyone to be at that standard of playing violently and being explosive,” he said. “Everybody has to get better.”

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man… I have NEVER seen you this far on the dark side, AJ.
Lol. I am being a little dramatic. But it is the truth I have never been more down about being a fan of this team. I used to say it was much worse in the 90s, but these last 15 or 16 home games with just one win.... It's been miserable at State Farm. We never had THAT bad of a stretch at SDS.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol. I am being a little dramatic. But it is the truth I have never been more down about being a fan of this team. I used to say it was much worse in the 90s, but these last 15 or 16 home games with just one win.... It's been miserable at State Farm. We never had THAT bad of a stretch at SDS.
It’s definitely dark times.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Yeah, Buddas name came up a lot when the new staff came in...

thats exactly why he is asking for a new bag... if they gonna use him as the example and all............

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Seriously, I have had enough with this dysfunctional franchise and the dysfunctional state of professional sports and the pro athlete. My interest in the well being and success of the Cardinals is at 10% full and I am totally cool with that... the reality is that it is no longer a team sport, hence a team you can identify from year to year, and I do not hero worship athletes

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously, I have had enough with this dysfunctional franchise and the dysfunctional state of professional sports and the pro athlete. My interest in the well being and success of the Cardinals is at 10% full and I am totally cool with that... the reality is that it is no longer a team sport, hence a team you can identify from year to year, and I do not hero worship athletes
I have always actually preferred watching college football. But college sports isn't any better in the days of NIL. You start liking a kid's game and - BOOM- he gone!

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Yes, the RAMS went all in and luckily they have a SB trophy as a reward. Imagine what fans would be saying about the Cap Hell they're in if it hadn't worked out. Doubt 'novel concept' would be top of mind.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Has this franchise ever experienced this level of dysfunction and darkness over a 15 or 16 MONTH stretch??
This is as bad of a stretch of time as this franchise, perhaps any franchise, has ever endured… all of it self-inflicted.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I have always actually preferred watching college football. But college sports isn't any better in the days of NIL. You start liking a kid's game and - BOOM- he gone!
Man I want to like with the same passion as before, I do, but I would have to be totally out of touch with reality to do so now. I want these guys to do well financially but the reality is they are not my close friends or family, and I am not going to get passionate about them getting 'theirs' when theirs is unreal money for the common man. It sucks but maybe I have my priorities straight now for my own life haha... hey, it's entertainment and totally at the point now where my brother is a few years back being a cancer doctor and a Falcon fan, those Falcon cheers are now 'meh' lol

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man I want to like with the same passion as before, I do, but I would have to be totally out of touch with reality to do so now. I want these guys to do well financially but the reality is they are not my close friends or family, and I am not going to get passionate about them getting 'theirs' when theirs is unreal money for the common man. It sucks but maybe I have my priorities straight now for my own life haha... hey, it's entertainment and totally at the point now where my brother is a few years back being a cancer doctor and a Falcon fan, those Falcon cheers are now 'meh' lol
I don't blame a single one of them. I have been on their side for a long time. It's a real adjustment as a fan. It is what it is. It's not like I won't be die hard for the Devils and Aggies. Just can't care about who is playing anymore.