Prospects Per Round

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
For many years now I’ve posted 3 names I’d target with each Cardinal pick. This year is different. There is a reasonable possibility that the Cards acquire several picks to augment their current selections. So it’s hard to predict not only which picks they’ll acquire but also which ones they might include in a trade. So here’s how this works. Each round has a list of names that I think are worthy of selection in a given round. They are in the order of preference.

This is the most unpredictable draft I can recall. Just look at the incredible variance even in the most authoritative mock drafts. So no doubt I have some people too early and some too late. If someone in a given round is still on the board at the end of that round, they would drop to the top of the next round. I’m optimistic with some, like Bresee. He probably goes round 1, but if he lasts until pick 34, he’s my top choice.

This grid takes literally hours of work over several weeks. I’m now 75. That’s enough grids for a lifetime, so I suspect this will be my last. It’s been fun. I hope you enjoy analyzing it. Feel free to criticize. That’s what it’s for. It’s all in the interest of having fun.

Round 1
Will Anderson, EDGE, AL-simply the best by far but maybe not elite
Christian Gonzalez CB, OR-a true ballhawk with top cover skills
Bryan Bresee DT, CLM-can play anywhere on DL, impacts run & pass
Lukas Van Ness EDGE, IA-exceptional motor, great leverage, huge upside
Tyree Wilson EDGE, TT-impact player who will contribute immediately, slightly overrated
Devon Witherspoon CB, IL-can cover despite lack of top speed, physical & great in zone
Broderick Jones OT, GA-unusual size/speed combo, diagnoses well, second level blocking

Round 2
John Michael Schmitz C, MN-solidifies the Center spot for years to come, rarely fooled by stunts
Siaki Ika DT , BAY-powerful anchor who can also collapse a pocket but won’t get sacks
Darnell Wright RT TN-handled Anderson better than any other OL, immediate upgrade
Nolan Smith Edge, GA-gone if not injured, do it all Edge with big motor and plays run well
Devon Witherspoon CB IL-solid cover who lacks top end speed but succeeds with technique
O’cyrus Torrence G, FL-another possible injury drop, effective pass & run blocker, round 1 talent
Jayden Reed WR MSU
Yaya Diaby EDGE, LOU
Julius Brents CB, KSU

Round 3
Joe Tippman C, WI-underrated with major upside, plays with attitude, very athletic
Jatavius Martin CB, IL-not fast but still effective especially in zone, competes for ball
Cedric Tillman WR, TN-tough, big & intense competitor, major red zone threat, not fast
Roschon Johnson RB, TX-stuck behind Robinson, dual threat game-breaker, great upside
Andrew Vorhees OG, USC-possible round 1 if not injured p, good for pass & run
Luke Wypler C OSU-solid center with remaining upside, very smart, will start but needs coaching
Mike Morris EDGE MI-project against pass but strong versus run, needs polishing, should develop
Michael Wilson WR STAN-high effort project who needs technique improvement, consistently gets open
Andre Carter OLB ARM-great motor, contributes early as situational pass rusher, needs technique
Zacch Pickens DT, SCAR-very athletic, needs to add strength, can pressure pass, good for passing downs
Marvin Mims WR, OK-blazing fast who’s hard to cover but needs catch technique, spreads the field
Emil Ekiyor G, AL

Round 4
Keeanu Benton DT, WI
Gervon Dexter DL FL
Sean Tucker RB SYR
Karl Brooks DT, BG
Terell Smith CB MINN
Darrell Luter CB, S AL
Jarrett Patterson C ND
Chase Brown RB, IL

Round 5
Byron Young Edge
Jordan McFadden G, CLM
Mohamed Ibrahim RB MN
Jaxson Kirkland LG, WA
Anthony Johnson S, ISU

Round 6
Derek Parish EDGE, HOU
Henry Bainivalu OG WA
Myles Brooks S LA TC
Rashee Rice WR SMU
Tanner McKee QB STAN
Nick Saldiveri OT ODU
Jake Witt RT, N MI
Trey Palmer WR, NB
Riley Moss S, IA

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Looks like youre totally out on the TE position.... i would consider one if we get an extra top 50 pick.

I like Bresee too... but i like Van Ness more...plays end, but in a couple years will be in the 280-290 range and has the strength to play DT at times.

Really like Witherspoon.

I dont see the Anakonda on your list?

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nice work Harry, I need some time to digest this. Would fill many holes for the Cards.
What about a punter in round 6 as there are some premier ones in this draft and the Cards have not re-signed Lee.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
Harry, a great job. You do have Witherspoon in Round One and Round Two. Was that intentional?
Yea, I think he’s moved up to one. I should have cut him from 2 when I added him to 1. Of course he’d be the top of 2 if all the other 1s are gone And he’s not. I had to do that with Bresee also.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I like DeWayne McBride more than the other backs you listed rounds 3 and back.

He is one of the best pure runners in the draft.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
@Harry Diaby is probably going round two, definitely agree on that. Put him as a pure edge rusher and he's going to get double digit sacks consistently in a few years.

I think Steen from Alabama goes higher than many mocks list him. He'll move to guard and be better there.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i think this shows the value of getting an extra 2nd or even an extra 3rd (Indy) in a trade down:

at slots 4-7, the Cards would fill a premium defensive position with one of Anderson, Wilson or Christian Gonzales

if you pick up an extra 2nd -- you can grab the best C in the draft + fill the edge/dl/cb spot open from Round 1

with 2 or 3 3rds -- you get to grab anybody from the round 2 slots that slipped

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Harry. Nice job. Is there any scenario where we could get Gibbs? Probably not wise. I really love Chase Brown.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
Thanks Harry. Nice job. Is there any scenario where we could get Gibbs? Probably not wise. I really love Chase Brown.
He probably goes near the end of round 1. I don’t see many scenarios that have the Cards picking there.

CT CARDSFAN

Veteran
Reaction score
Harry, always appreciate your ideas and commentary, thank you!
I see you did not include Calijah Kancey. He had a 92.4 pass rushing grade and 47 pressures. Has the quickest 1st step of all current draft picks. Do you believe his short status would be detrimental in the pros.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
Harry, always appreciate your ideas and commentary, thank you!
I see you did not include Calijah Kancey. He had a 92.4 pass rushing grade and 47 pressures. Has the quickest 1st step of all current draft picks. Do you believe his short status would be detrimental in the pros.
There are several concerns, but size is one. He’s very athletic, but not a fundamentally sound tackler. He doesn’t have a consistent snap reaction time. In the NFL it’s hard to get to the QB if you don’t get a jump on your opponent. I think the shoulder injury is a concern as they tend to repeat. Some technique issue, like mirroring, putting his head down and rushing too wide mean he’s a bit of a project.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Excellent post Harry! I like the vast majority of guys you posted. Are you not high on Avila in rd 2 (especially if we trade back)? That’s a guy I like, especially given position versatility at C/G.

In addition to Witherspoon (already addressed), I don’t see Nolan Smith getting out of round 1 after his combine performance - and wouldn’t be shocked to see him top 10.

Just FYI you have Broderick Jones as a DT instead of an OT, but I know it’s just a typo since your description fits an o-lineman.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
Excellent post Harry! I like the vast majority of guys you posted. Are you not high on Avila in rd 2 (especially if we trade back)? That’s a guy I like, especially given position versatility at C/G.

In addition to Witherspoon (already addressed), I don’t see Nolan Smith getting out of round 1 after his combine performance - and wouldn’t be shocked to see him top 10.

Just FYI you have Broderick Jones as a DT instead of an OT, but I know it’s just a typo since your description fits an o-lineman.
Typo is correct, sorry. The concern with Smith is the injury factor but I know many put him in round 1. This year is so crazy that more than a handful of players are bouncing between rounds 1 & 2.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
No to Wypler in round 2. I think he’s just a guy. Maybe round 4.
He’s solid but you can do a lot better in round 2. Especially at the top of round 2.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose