My larger perspective on some of these low-level signings

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Any chance they are doing this so they can restructure Kyler’s contract to take a massive hit this year and then have more cap room in the following years?
that crossed my mind too... but advancing more money to an injured unproven QB doesnt leave a good taste

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think we're purging, resetting, and building a base level. These are the bottom feeders we need at the back end of the roster, and all the guys we want to build going forward will need to be CLEARLY better than them.

Instead of signing/re-signing the best guys from the top tiers, we spent the beginning of free agency getting presumably the 'best' guys from the 5th-6th wave. I can't be sure of their quality vis-a-vis the others, but we're sure the first at signing them.

How long we get stuck in this mode is anyone's guess. But it might be a while.

Will Monti/Gannon get four years to try to build something like Joe Bugel? I don't know. McCoy as OC, six games. Wilks one year. Kliff, ~18 games after being #1 in the NFL. Recent history suggests otherwise.

I believe Michael's plan is to build something the right way, but does he know what he's in for?

The whole, 'quick turnaround' he talked about sure doesn't sound realistic. Is there already a disconnect between the new regime and the owner? Maybe he's just trying to sell a loser, but he's pulled the trigger quickly lately (thankfully).

At the very least, we're headed for a top pick next draft.

just read K9's crust analogy... spot on.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are you going to be saying when Gannon/Monti go a combined 4-34 the next two years? Will they see a 3rd year? The days of 5 year plans in the NFL are gone. Look no further than Kliff/Keim who went from playoffs to unemployed in 1 year.
No way in hell that happens. They win a bare minimum 9 or 10 games in that stretch.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I know this is being discussed in multiple threads, but I'm actually cool with the approach we're taking right now in these short deals with lower-level players.

Why? It's clearly aiming at purging what Keim had done to this franchise in his later years, where each year, the roster was barely filled out because more and more of our draft picks were either useless or never given the opportunity to grow.

While these current players aren't ideal, they're not going to prevent us from drafting most any position, and most of our rookies should be able to compete for a role. Or, if the cheaper vet shows something more, we can offer them an extension in-season. For a team that should have some guaranteed job security at the top, this is a decent start. I see it that we can begin to build the team for a longer term approach.

We'll see!
Pretty much. And those who are unhappy with each signing should be delighted in A) the players will only be here for a single year. B) the short contracts suggest it will only be a year of downtime. And C) the players aren't costing anything meaning Monti will have a nice stack of chips to sign free agents with when the time comes

And of course not everybody is going to be happy with this strategy - I know I don't want to suck for a whole nother year but it is what it is. Kinda like when I got my new grill. Costed a lot of money. Took a long ass time. Came with a lot of pain. But OMG was it worth it. I can eat whatever I want and I even smile in pictures now

So I'm just going to try and not let the suck get me down, keep my sense of humor and my goals realistic. To try and find a little bit of joy in each and every loss instead of calling for Monti's head because I believe he and Sears do have a tooth removal plan in place - and the sooner we get it over with the sooner we can smile again

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Most of the Eagles staff had never done the job before and went to the SB inside 2 years.

Honestly, I'd rather this than tired old retreads fired from elsewhere.
BC, I'm not advocating for retreads. Just new blood (with perhaps a little experience). And the eagles of course had the talent and veteran leadership to make those coaches jobs a lot easier neither of which we have.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
No way in hell that happens. They win a bare minimum 9 or 10 games in that stretch.
...we hope. Also, I will in no way accept a losing record in 2024. That would indicate the plan is not working. I don't want our team to be so dumb as to think you need two full years to fix everything.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...we hope. Also, I will in no way accept a losing record in 2024. That would indicate the plan is not working. I don't want our team to be so dumb as to think you need two full years to fix everything.
I think the plan is to have a winning record in year 3, not 2.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
lol we're going to have a losing season in 2024 or .500 at best, and it won't mean the plan isn't working. If we don't improve at all from 2023 to 2024 then the plan isn't working. If we don't improve from 2024 to 2025 the plan isn't working. Infact if we aren't in the playoffs by 2025 I'd venture to say the plan may have failed

But again, get ready for that losing season in 2024 lol so if I were you I'd start working on my non-acceptance speech now

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
lol we're going to have a losing season in 2024 or .500 at best, and it won't mean the plan isn't working. If we don't improve at all from 2023 to 2024 then the plan isn't working. If we don't improve from 2024 to 2025 the plan isn't working. Infact if we aren't in the playoffs by 2025 I'd venture to say the plan may have failed

But again, get ready for that losing season in 2024 lol so if I were you I'd start working on my non-acceptance speech now
Inch by inch progress and slooooow rebuilds are just NFL teams ways of saying they don't want to spend the money to compete. The NFL is not a slow rebuild league. If you have a QB--and we arguably do--there is absolutely no excuse to say "well, it'll take us 3 years to be relevant." None.

I accept 2023 as a lost year. It's criminal to accept any beyond that.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
And that is why I have been so hard on the team and new regime. That's a fool's plan. No team that purportedly has a QB should ever have to be 2 years away.
But we don't have a QB and probably won't till half way through the season

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Inch by inch progress and slooooow rebuilds are just NFL teams ways of saying they don't want to spend the money to compete. The NFL is not a slow rebuild league. If you have a QB--and we arguably do--there is absolutely no excuse to say "well, it'll take us 3 years to be relevant." None.

We won't know that for sure until we know the health of KM. If he comes back and is terrible again, then we might be drafting another QB which might start the cycle all the way over again.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I think there’s no way they win more than 2 games next year.
And I meant 4-30 for 34 games.

They have little to no starting talent on the roster. I wish I could get a future bet if 9-10 wins the next 2 years. I’d hammer the under.

Hue Jackson, his first time GM and the Browns had a plan based on analytics and time to rebuild. That didn’t work out too well for anyone. I can see the sane fiasco happening in Arizona.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Technically

Technically it would be two years to be relevant (2023-2024 irrelevant)

And the whole "we have a QB" thing isn't necessarily accurate, we don't have a QB right now - so to start the clock right now would be flawed logic imo. When we actually do have a QB it'll be even less than 2 years to relevancy - more like a year and a half

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We won't know that for sure until we know the health of KM. If he comes back and is terrible again, then we might be drafting another QB which might start the cycle all the way over again.

The major problem is that how are we evaluating in 2023? If he's decent, he might get a pass. But how many games is enough to decide?

If we are decent or okay in 2024 and we see that Kyler isn't the answer, we probably won't be having a high pick in 2025 and will have to trade up a fortune to get one. I also don't know the projected QB class in '25.

Kyler could work out, but I'm still on board taking a QB at 1 if we get it next year. Take out the what ifs and start over. Might have to keep Kyler on roster for a year though.

All in all, Bidwill really screwed things up.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The major problem is that how are we evaluating in 2023? If he's decent, he might get a pass. But how many games is enough to decide?

If we are decent or okay in 2024 and we see that Kyler isn't the answer, we probably won't be having a high pick in 2025 and will have to trade up a fortune to get one. I also don't know the projected QB class in '25.

Kyler could work out, but I'm still on board taking a QB at 1 if we get it next year. Take out the what ifs and start over. Might have to keep Kyler on roster for a year though.

All in all, Bidwill really screwed things up.
That's the million dollar question, isn't it?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They have little to no starting talent on the roster. I wish I could get a future bet if 9-10 wins the next 2 years. I’d hammer the under.

Hue Jackson, his first time GM and the Browns had a plan based on analytics and time to rebuild. That didn’t work out too well for anyone. I can see the sane fiasco happening in Arizona.
wager?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Technically

Technically it would be two years to be relevant (2023-2024 irrelevant)

And the whole "we have a QB" thing isn't necessarily accurate, we don't have a QB right now - so to start the clock right now would be flawed logic imo. When we actually do have a QB it'll be even less than 2 years to relevancy - more like a year and a half

You don’t usually go into game 6 or 8 and add a Pro Bowl caliber QB to your roster.

Being awful instead of mediocre in 2023 is a choice. Being bad or mediocre instead of competing for the playoffs in 2024 would be inexcusable.

We’re not starting Zach Wilson. We’re bringing Kyler Murray back. The discourse on Murray has become deranged.

Except for a few teams in the AFC, the NFL has become a mediocre dumpster fire, so the Cardinals could still be below average and pull off a surprising amount of wins... yeah, when the NFC East becomes a force in one season it says it all :)

Yes. Any team with Kyler Murray at QB should be alive for the playoffs through Christmas every year

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
BC, I'm not advocating for retreads. Just new blood (with perhaps a little experience). And the eagles of course had the talent and veteran leadership to make those coaches jobs a lot easier neither of which we have.

Do these guys exist?

You can't get an OC or a DC that's in a job because lateral moves never get permission. Is there such a thing as an experienced guy that's not a tired old retread that isn't already in a job? Struggling to think of any instances outside of Shane Steichen having a year as OC under Lynn before Lynn getting fired and him joining the Eagles. That's the only kind of way I can see it happening and that seems super rare to me.

99% of these guys are either your Vance Joseph or Mike McCoy types or guys getting a shot at the job for the first time.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'll take that bet.

The Texans won 3 last year with Davis Mills at QB and a roster that I can't name anyone off the top of my head outside Tunsil, Pierce and Cooks.