Jeffrey Simmons, DT...Titans

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Rumor has it Ran Carthon wants to tear down the Titans and has made every player available for trade.
Then Jeffrey Simmons deleted all team related info and images from his social media.
We need a DT.
Our staff have ties to the Titans.

What do we think?

Dude has had 16 sacks over the last 2 seasons...will likely need a new deal because he will be on his fifth year next season.

OP
OP
oaken1

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I dunno... i might give up 34 and next years 3rd...
This guy fits the bill

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Would love it but won’t happen. The plan is to suck this year. Can’t mess with the plan.
As our roster is currently constructed, I don’t think Simmons would change anything. But, adding Simmons and Anderson would be a start.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As our roster is currently constructed, I don’t think Simmons would change anything. But, adding Simmons and Anderson would be a start.
I was actually being sarcastic. You want to keep this guy you would need to extend and pay him. It doesn’t appear to me they are willing to do that now. But agree having him and Anderson would be awesome.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Thats the best part! Dude is already on a 1 year contract
And this is why you don't give something up for him now. It's a trash year. Save your picks, and try your damndest to sign him next offseason if he's still in your plans. Giving up #34, as you suggest, would be just paying a major premium for someone who is going to be a free agent anyways, if Carthon's so enthusiastic to get rid of him.

Or... wait until the draft/regular season, and try to acquire him at a discount, unless he's available for a 5th or something now.

This all depends on overall demand and compensation, of course. If 5 teams are fighting for him, and we think he's the missing piece... I guess.

OP
OP
oaken1

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
And this is why you don't give something up for him now. It's a trash year. Save your picks, and try your damndest to sign him next offseason if he's still in your plans. Giving up #34, as you suggest, would be just paying a major premium for someone who is going to be a free agent anyways, if Carthon's so enthusiastic to get rid of him.

Or... wait until the draft/regular season, and try to acquire him at a discount, unless he's available for a 5th or something now.

This all depends on overall demand and compensation, of course. If 5 teams are fighting for him, and we think he's the missing piece... I guess.
if he is up for trade he may not be available next off season...and if he is, we have to compete with 30 other teams for his services.
by trading, you arrange an immediate extension, and he is a Cardinal for years to come.
This guy exactly fits the bill.. a penetrating DT, 25 years old, that we already know can play in the NFL...we never know that about any draft pick...ever.
the only downside is we dont get 4 years of cheap control...thats it. But we wont get that from any free agent either

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
if he is up for trade he may not be available next off season...and if he is, we have to compete with 30 other teams for his services.
by trading, you arrange an immediate extension, and he is a Cardinal for years to come.
This guy exactly fits the bill.. a penetrating DT, 25 years old, that we already know can play in the NFL...we never know that about any draft pick...ever.
the only downside is we dont get 4 years of cheap control...thats it. But we wont get that from any free agent either
Well, you suggested giving up #34... This team is a bust, and I think I'd rather try to draft a Center at that spot.

I get you, but I'm rolling the dice that we have a better shot of Monti convincing him to come here as a free agent next offseason than many, and I'd rather not give up that top pick (that's practically a first) for a team rebuilding, PLUS give up the contract.

I think the question about Simmons is about as fair as the question about Byron Murphy... why's the new guy so ready to let him go?

OP
OP
oaken1

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Well, you suggested giving up #34... This team is a bust, and I think I'd rather try to draft a Center at that spot.

I get you, but I'm rolling the dice that we have a better shot of Monti convincing him to come here as a free agent next offseason than many, and I'd rather not give up that top pick (that's practically a first) for a team rebuilding, PLUS give up the contract.

I think the question about Simmons is about as fair as the question about Byron Murphy... why's the new guy so ready to let him go?
I want a center at 34 too... but before I realized they were gonna move quick I had a DT penciled in there...good value spot.

Murphy...love the kid, hell I stood alone in defending his draft position for years. But I have experience with chronic back issues. if thats what he has, the dude will likely never play a complete season again...so Im okay with letting him go.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are still a lot of free agents out there that aren’t going to break the bank.
I think we might see a few more significant signings after we see how the draft unfolds.

Not saying we will. However, you really can’t predict how a draft will unfold. Meaning you can’t simply say we are going to draft an Edge, Cb and C with our first 3 picks to fill those holes. Maybe the CB we liked is gone so rather than overdraft a CB we go out and sign a Marcus Peters or Bryce Callahan.

I’m not saying this is what is going to happen. Just a theory.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Because there is a lot of ego in these positions and most of it isn't justified. Steve Keim was a GM for nearly 10 years.

I understand not wanting to give up a premium pick for a guy on a one year deal. That said, any person not interested in Simmons as long as there is a contract extension in place is in a poverty mindset. You can't pay everyone in one year, and you eventually have to pay for someone.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
There are still a lot of free agents out there that aren’t going to break the bank.
I think we might see a few more significant signings after we see how the draft unfolds.

Not saying we will. However, you really can’t predict how a draft will unfold. Meaning you can’t simply say we are going to draft an Edge, Cb and C with our first 3 picks to fill those holes. Maybe the CB we liked is gone so rather than overdraft a CB we go out and sign a Marcus Peters or Bryce Callahan.

I’m not saying this is what is going to happen. Just a theory.
Good players will also be cut after the draft....we see it every year. Teams wait for the draft, to see who they add, then target a few vets to rework contracts or be cut.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Good players will also be cut after the draft....we see it every year. Teams wait for the draft, to see who they add, then target a few vets to rework contracts or be cut.
The "good" classification can be subjective for these players. As for this strategy overall, I am more of a "bird in the hand" type of guy.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Because there is a lot of ego in these positions and most of it isn't justified. Steve Keim was a GM for nearly 10 years.

I understand not wanting to give up a premium pick for a guy on a one year deal. That said, any person not interested in Simmons as long as there is a contract extension in place is in a poverty mindset. You can't pay everyone in one year, and you eventually have to pay for someone.
I still don't want to be in the Keim-esque business of moving on from premium picks and handing out big deals. I'd rather have that cheap, cost-controlled Center, and then spend big on a DT as available.

As I've said, I don't mind giving up like, a day three pick. (Although I don't really consider our 4th rounder a true day three pick given how high it is.)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I still don't want to be in the Keim-esque business of moving on from premium picks and handing out big deals. I'd rather have that cheap, cost-controlled Center, and then spend big on a DT as available.

As I've said, I don't mind giving up like, a day three pick. (Although I don't really consider our 4th rounder a true day three pick given how high it is.)
Are you discounting for the idea that the center might suck? Cameron Erving was as clean a center prospect as they come, and he's started 25 games in 10 NFL seasons -- mostly at tackle. He started 17 games for the team that drafted him 19 overall.

People walk into the draft thinking that if they take an OL it's a guaranteed 10-year starter. Jonathan Cooper started 31 NFL games. Chance Warmack started five games after his third season.

If you can trade our 3rd round pick for a guy who you know can start in the NFL, you should probably take that deal.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Are you discounting for the idea that the center might suck? Cameron Erving was as clean a center prospect as they come, and he's started 25 games in 10 NFL seasons -- mostly at tackle. He started 17 games for the team that drafted him 19 overall.

People walk into the draft thinking that if they take an OL it's a guaranteed 10-year starter. Jonathan Cooper started 31 NFL games. Chance Warmack started five games after his third season.

If you can trade our 3rd round pick for a guy who you know can start in the NFL, you should probably take that deal.
Every day all day.....

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

It's gotta be a blend of strategies, and it's gotta be timed right for the acquisition. People here have touted the Rams' approach so much, but their success wouldn't exist without some great drafts that gave them solid players across the roster at the right price.

It also doesn't have to be a Center, it can be any position that fills the litany of holes on this roster. There's not a position outside of ILB or S that would bother me to draft in the top three rounds.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose