What Will Our 2023 Look Like?

Do you think 2023 is a wash, or do you think we have/had a chance to contend?

• 2023 is a wash and I know that

• We could contend in 2023 if we make the right moves

• We could have contended in 2023 if we made the right moves, but we haven't

Results are only viewable after voting.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Young kickers suck?

Don't they all start out as young kickers?

What would that matter to us?

We could bring in some young legs and see what we can find, it's not like he's going to make a difference this year

Sure they can cut him next year, but the idea is to use up this years cap to pay off bad contracts, not create more

Sure they do. And most of them suck into they have years in the league. Especially with consistency.

It's why I was never against holding onto Zane Gonzalez. For a young kicker he was fine. Most don't hit their stride until 28/29. When Gonzalez left and we signed Prater most people were happy to see him go.

Prater himself had 3 teams his rookie year and was a below average kicker until he was 26 and wasn't recognised as one of the better ones in the league until 29.

There are very few kickers under 30 better than Prater. Carlson, Koo, Bass are probably it.

The other problem is there are no good young kicker FA's and you don;t want to go into the draft needing a kicker. But I wouldn't be surprised to see them pick up a UDFA to add to the practice squad.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
IF healthy Prater will score the most points on the team - and at least twice as many points as anyone named Conner or Hollywood - matter fact maybe we should get rid of Prater
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I was actually shocked to see a defensive projection of AZ not being #32. We’re losing 3 of our 4 best defensive players from last year’s #31 ranked defense. Oh btw we’re likely watching a McCoy vs Blough QB competition in training camp. I still would’ve retained Murphy at the deal he got (or even slightly north) if he was willing to return but I think a full blowup is the right direction to go.

Embrace Thy Tank.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It usually takes a kicker a few years.

I've long wanted the Cardinals to find a guy to stick with, but I think right now they should focus on position players.
What better season to try out a young kicker and let him work through some of the growing pains with the hopes you land a long long long term solution at the position?

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
Are they just overconfident in their coaching/teaching abilities or are they purposely throw AT LEAST 2023 away (and maybe 2024 too)????

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
What better season to try out a young kicker and let him work through some of the growing pains with the hopes you land a long long long term solution at the position?
I'd rather sign a FA then develop one. Sign a good young kicker.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Contend for what? A championship? Not a chance. A playoff berth? Probably with a different offseason. I can't recall a time when the NFC has been weaker.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is a wash, so thorough a wash that I feel like 2024 is almost certainly a wash too.

SOCALCARD

Rookie
Reaction score
Gonna look like dog **** frankly. Worst team in the league with 1-3 wins. We will be picking #1 in next years draft though!

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
We give new guys a wash. But not Wilks. Not KK. We hired guys (all of them) inexperienced at their hired position and give them this year and probably next year to learn their jobs. Other teams have made worst to first not us. And we wonder why long time STHs are bailing.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stop making rational sense. Much better to waste money on an aging and injured last season vet than actually use these practice seasons to find his successor.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This is the way. They aren't signing too many vets, who will need playing time to justify contracts. Rather they are just plugging holes with cheap vets, so they can play draft picks and develop talent. I wouldn't be surprised if 80% of the starters this year have 3 years, or less, in experience.
So shooting to compete in 2025, not 2024, then? Because two drafts and one FA period with absolutely no other talent ain't cutting it.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
2023 was busted well before Monti and Gannon ever got here and waaaay before Murphy and Allen left. Honestly surprised the poll isn't for 2024 - which is where I see the disagreements being had on this board but I digress so don't @ me lol
Yep, 2024 is where all the disagreement tends to be.

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
Monti seems to be putting all of his eggs into the draft, witch is an extremely risky proposition.
HUGELY risky. Especially when the team isn't ever going to go hog wild in FA. How do we expect to then compete in 2024? Just with draft picks and a few FA? As Jesus from The Big Leboswki would say: "HA ha!"

OP
OP
Stout

Stout

Reaction score
not to mention that for 2023 it is irrelevant. Praters contract isnt going to stop us from signing anyone else.
No, this is where @BritCard's arguments fall down. Prater's contract costs us millions but we don't need the space, then he goes on and posts all the time about how we couldn't afford to sign good, young, mid-level FAs this season because we don't have the cap space. So, he argues against himself. And many others seem to agree.

Well, his wild claim that he says is simple fact is that there literally are only expensive and bargain basement young FA, and nothing at all in between. Which lololol

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose