Cards sign Josh Woods

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I don't understand these signings. All we are doing is wasting cap space on backup players. We don't need linebackers. We need starting DL and OL. It's not possible to fill all those positions with the draft. The Dennis Daley signing is the most confusing. We already have 3 OTs on the roster, and we sign the worst starting OT in the league. This is the type of signing you do in the middle of the season when all of your OTs are injured. I can understand not signing a bunch of high-priced free agents but we have signed nobody of importance and lost our two top free agents. This is not roster construction, it is roster destruction.
If he makes the team his salary most likely will not be in the top 51 and therefore free from cap worries. So he doesn't prevent them for looking at anyone else, and I mean anyone else.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Frankly he’s not a LB contender, though he could play there in a pinch. He’s not fast or strong. He has decent agility. He also has a nose for the ball on special teams. He hard to fake and is an above average tackler. The Cards needed to make a better statement with regard to special teams. This guy can be the leader of that unit. He’s tough and focused. This is a solid add.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Frankly he’s not a LB contender, though he could play there in a pinch. He’s not fast or strong. He has decent agility. He also has a nose for the ball on special teams. He hard to fake and is an above average tackler. The Cards needed to make a better statement with regard to special teams. This guy can be the leader of that unit. He’s tough and focused. This is a solid add.

He was, in fact, the Lions Special Teams captain.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Spending cap space on guys we will cut in training camp during the first two weeks of free agency...brilliant.
Honestly, I expect better from you.

Is free agency not going the way most of us want it to? Absolutely.

Can some of these moves be good moves that make sense also? Yes.

Adding elite special teams players is a good move if you bring them in to be elite special teams players. This is obviously the case here.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

Adding elite special teams players is a good move if you bring them in to be elite special teams players. This is obviously the case here.
What is the evidence that he's an elite special teams player?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

What is the evidence that he is  not?
You can't disprove a negative, obviously. You're Mr. Evidence and Commander Logic.

Detroit was 9th in DVOA. That was driven mostly by a second place finish in points added via punt return and fifth in kickoff return. The Lions were around the middle of the league in points added via Kickoffs and Punts (per DVOA).

It's super-easy for media to say "he was a core special teams player" about every guy who literally never gets on the field in any other situation. Tanner Vallejo syndrome.

Sometimes moves can just be lateral moves. This is probably a lateral move. Nothing to get worked up about either way unless he's getting Nick Vigil's snaps or something.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You can't disprove a negative, obviously. You're Mr. Evidence and Commander Logic.

Detroit was 9th in DVOA. That was driven mostly by a second place finish in points added via punt return and fifth in kickoff return. The Lions were around the middle of the league in points added via Kickoffs and Punts (per DVOA).

It's super-easy for media to say "he was a core special teams player" about every guy who literally never gets on the field in any other situation. Tanner Vallejo syndrome.

Sometimes moves can just be lateral moves. This is probably a lateral move. Nothing to get worked up about either way unless he's getting Nick Vigil's snaps or something.
Fair enough, other than the unnecessary dig.

I know this offseason has kind of sucked, it's just exceedingly annoying that a group of posters is essentially dumping on everything that happens.

I half expect the same posters to bitch and whine if Anderson Jr. is drafted too, just because I'm getting so conditioned to the constant bitching.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

I know this offseason has kind of sucked, it's just exceedingly annoying that a group of posters is essentially dumping on everything that happens.

I half expect the same posters to bitch and whine if Anderson Jr. is drafted too, just because I'm getting so conditioned to the constant bitching.
I think these are the kinds of moves you expect teams to make next week or after the draft. These moves indicate the priorities of the front office because they’re happening in the first 10 days of free agency.

Everyone will be happy if we draft Anderson; some people will bellyache if we draft him at 3. Many people will be big mad if we trade away from him.

Cards Crazy

Rookie
Reaction score
Hate to ask But can any ine tell me when was the last time the Cards scored a Td in special teams (kickoff or punt) I really cant remember

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Good chance Monti just wants to get these types of guys before the raiders do. They have signed a wr and two TE's with name recognition...and about 14 whodat players...oh, and Jimmy GQ

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

We have Dennis Gardeck, Zeke Turner, and Josh Woods, totaling 5 mil along with Corey Clement, Christian Matthew and Antonio Hamilton. Another three mil or so there. We have a whole roster of STs guys when our goal is too add a bunch of draft picks whose best chance to make the roster is...special teams. Yeah, I am going to be a bit critical here.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

When everything that happens is dump worthy...people dump on it. When the franchise does something worth praising, it will get praised. Not people's fault on here that the franchise has chosen to do nothing that is worthy of praise yet this offseason.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Actually, most of the posters upset right now are staunchly for staying put (or trading down 1 spot) to draft Anderson. Most of the keeping the faith crowd seem to be advocating trading back.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Jesus… way to call out K9 for the unnecessary dig then just endulge in laughable hypocrisy where you just make up lies and project an idiotic argument where none exists to top him.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
We have Dennis Gardeck, Zeke Turner, and Josh Woods, totaling 5 mil along with Corey Clement, Christian Matthew and Antonio Hamilton. Another three mil or so there. We have a whole roster of STs guys when our goal is too add a bunch of draft picks whose best chance to make the roster is...special teams. Yeah, I am going to be a bit critical here.
It's also called roster depth.

Woods is also a likely back up at LB as well.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
way to be a flaming hypocrite for calling out K9 for the unnecessary dig after that last horse-manure of a paragraph where you just make up lies and project an idiotic argument where none exists to make an unnecessary and completely baseless dig at posters who dare not to enjoy the crap the Cardinals keep serving us.
Wow butt hurt much?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think these are the kinds of moves you expect teams to make next week or after the draft. These moves indicate the priorities of the front office because they’re happening in the first 10 days of free agency.

Everyone will be happy if we draft Anderson; some people will bellyache if we draft him at 3. Many people will be big mad if we trade away from him.
I'm being tongue in cheek.

This forum sucks right now, I'm literally considering leaving entirely because of the Debbie Downers here. It's not fun to hear constant whining. I don't disagree this is a **** show, but everything doesn't suck.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, most of the posters upset right now are staunchly for staying put (or trading down 1 spot) to draft Anderson. Most of the keeping the faith crowd seem to be advocating trading back.
Facts that don’t matter to Big Mad Krang. Waiting for him to throw out a “bro” or whatever else he usually does when it’s clear he’d rather just trash posters rather than talk football.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose