Today’s Thought - Hopkins

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
I refuse to give our new GM credit for doing nothing in the Hopkins area when he has already received criticism from me for doing BASICALLY NOTHING in the free agency space.

No one knows anything other than what you can specifically point to as already completed. And so far..... this group hasn't done crap to improve the roster or crap to improve the facilities or crap to improve the perception they have within the league.

All I know for sure is that he hasn't done much that can be measured or reported on. And that deserves criticism IMO.
Im genuinely curious as to what you would have preferred he do this offseason? Do you have examples of certain moves he should have done and why?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
When everyone wanted a rebuild and to burn it all down, I think most were expecting a nuclear bomb to go off in the front office...Instead we're seeing a slow burn. I think both have their advantages and disadvantages...we'll just have to see how this plays out. Personally, I'm not losing any sleep (or hair) over the slow burn approach.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I refuse to give our new GM credit for doing nothing in the Hopkins area when he has already received criticism from me for doing BASICALLY NOTHING in the free agency space.

No one knows anything other than what you can specifically point to as already completed. And so far..... this group hasn't done crap to improve the roster or crap to improve the facilities or crap to improve the perception they have within the league.

All I know for sure is that he hasn't done much that can be measured or reported on. And that deserves criticism IMO.

That weighs heavy, no doubt.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Im genuinely curious as to what you would have preferred he do this offseason? Do you have examples of certain moves he should have done and why?
Sure.

Hire experienced and competent people to front office and coaching positions. Not 2nd and 3rd choice talents with no prior experience in the role.
Create a new role and divest all power from the owners office to another person who has tangible football experience.
Fix the facilities. Fix the players impressions of your laughingstock of an organization.
Have Bidwill speak publicly about the institutional failures of his organization and not expect his brand new HC do it for him.
Publicly admit your failures and commit to entering into contract negotiations with your young talent a year before their contracts expire.
Not increase your season ticket prices in this economic climate and during an obvious tank job.

Not allow a young home grown talent who happens to be at a position of immense need leave for another NFC opponent at an insanely cheap price when you still have 20mm to spend.
Find one good starting caliber FA to sign to either your O Line or D Line.
Keep Zach Allen if financially possible. As of now, it was possible. Very possible.
Not pay your FG kicker top of the market money when his services are mediocre and we are not going to the playoffs.
Not play the "run it back" strategy with a roster incapable of winning 5 games.
Not allow Kyzir White, Zach Pascal, Strong, Collier, Froholdt & Howerton (non starters) affect your comp pick ratios for next season when they are all clearly mid-card talent (or worse) in this league.

I'd give you more but we really haven't done ANYTHING worth giving a positive grade to except for maybe the White and Hernandez signings.

Now on to my projections of the rest of our offseason.

What I expect to happen:
We aren't going to draft Will Anderson.
David Blough will be our opening day starter. And possibly for all of September.
Our mercurial, injured, and video-game loving child QB will become restless and publicly demand something he isn't entitled to demand because (and I'm spitballing this here) he is a baby and our organization is a heaping pile of crap.
DHop will be off-loaded for table scraps. I guess we should get something but it wont be a first. that's for sure.
We will pay Hollywood more than what Murphy got and that will suck. He may get more than Kirk or Allen got and that will suck worse.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Sure.

Hire experienced and competent people to front office and coaching positions. Not 2nd and 3rd choice talents with no prior experience in the role.
Create a new role and divest all power from the owners office to another person who has tangible football experience.
Fix the facilities. Fix the players impressions of your laughingstock of an organization.
Have Bidwill speak publicly about the institutional failures of his organization and not expect his brand new HC do it for him.
Publicly admit your failures and commit to entering into contract negotiations with your young talent a year before their contracts expire.
Not increase your season ticket prices in this economic climate and during an obvious tank job.

Not allow a young home grown talent who happens to be at a position of immense need leave for another NFC opponent at an insanely cheap price when you still have 20mm to spend.
Keep Zach Allen if financially possible. As of now, it was possible. Very possible.
Not pay your FG kicker top of the market money when his services are mediocre and we are not going to the playoffs.
Not allow Kyzir White, Zach Pascal, Strong, Collier, Froholdt & Howerton (non starters) affect your comp pick ratios for next season when they are all clearly mid-card talent (or worse) in this league.

I'd give you more but we really haven't done ANYTHING worth giving a positive grade to except for maybe the White and Hernandez signings.

What I expect to happen:
David Blough will be our opening day starter. And possibly for all of September.
Our mercurial, injured, and video-game loving child QB will become restless and publicly demand something he isn't entitled to demand because (and I'm spitballing this here) he is a baby and our organization is a heaping pile of crap.
DHop will be off-loaded for table scraps. I guess we should get something but it wont be a first. that's for sure.
We will pay Hollywood more than what Murphy got and that will suck. He may get more than Kirk or Allen got and that will suck worse.
Chill Indy...
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Cards aren’t in any rush to unload a top talent for pennies on the dollar, no doubt which is smart. I still say, based off last year & this year’s trades we might get just a third rounder given Dhops age, salary demands (bonus $$$ extension) & missing almost half his games in Arizona the last 2 seasons due to injury & suspension.

Brace yourselves it works out good for Big Red

Mark22

VBhoopcoach
Reaction score
Sure.

What I expect to happen:
Maybe you should seriously think about rooting for another team. You seem miserable. Why continue to torture yourself?

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Really don't get it. Did people really expect Monti to come in and just be taller Steve Keim? Blow all the cap on bandaids. Do nothing to sort out the dire mess the roster is in?

Did they think he was going to wave his magic wand and just put everything right with no pain?
Those that think that really don’t have a clue as to what has plagued this franchise over the decades. Right now we badly need to raise the floor and build a strong base. Otherwise, you never build the type of culture that’s necessary to sustain winning.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
No I did not expect him to wave a magic wand and fix everything but so far he has done nothing to improve the roster. We lost our two top free agents and signed no one to replace them. None of our new coaches have any experience in their current position. I also dislike the hiring of college coaches. The NFL is a different game than college football and college coaches rarely work out.
It may be true that college HC’s don’t fare as well in the NFL. That doesn’t apply to assistant college coaches. This GM is doing exactly what is necessary at this stage of rebranding this franchise.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Last year……yes. No way I’ll be upset this year. I’m fine with another top 5 draft pick.
Yep..... That's why I take issue with messing with our comp picks. The guys we signed could have waited IMO. Or comparable players would have been there after the comp pick dates pass.

If we are planning on getting a top pick, why wouldn't we want more and better comp picks?

I'm really trying to understand our plan because we seem to be saying one thing, doing another, and contradicting both at the same time. A truly odd time to be a fan of the birds.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Those that think that really don’t have a clue as to what has plagued this franchise over the decades. Right now we badly need to raise the floor and build a strong base. Otherwise, you never build the type of culture that’s necessary to sustain winning.

Step 1: Get rid of as many good players as your can and replace them with the absolute cheapest players available on the market
Step 2: ????
Step 3: Compete for the playoffs every year

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yep..... That's why I take issue with messing with our comp picks. The guys we signed could have waited IMO. Or comparable players would have been there after the comp pick dates pass.

If we are planning on getting a top pick, why wouldn't we want more and better comp picks?

I'm really trying to understand our plan because we seem to be saying one thing, doing another, and contradicting both at the same time. A truly odd time to be a fan of the birds.
I don't think these guys damage the comp pick process. They're getting paid absolute minimum-salary deals because no one wants them. We've only lost a couple of players, but they'll probably make more money and maybe play more.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Sure.

What I expect to happen:
Dont ask questions you don't want answers to.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah and you may be wrong now.

JFC people, give these guys a chance!
So should we just shut down the entire board until the season starts? Or is the board only limited to exaltations and thumbs up over signing a plethora of camp bodies, some of which are the worst in the league?

Alternatively, when can dissenting opinions be raised if you don’t want the board shut down until the season starts?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. signing the cheapest Cardinals available and some of the worst players in the league definitely builds a good culture.

This is straight 2003 “build the belly of the beast” stuff that littered the board back then.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Players signed at or near the Vet minimum will not impact our comp picks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA