LJ Collier's contract numbers

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also note that he was signed as a "Vet Signing Benefit" which reduces his cap hit to a Year 2 minimum contract which I believe is $870K against the cap

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Well, first this leaves little doubt the Cards are thinking 4-3, because if this guy can play at all, he’s got to be a DE. Not much for me to like. He was a second or third round pick at best until he had a great Senior Bowl. He really showed lots of aggression and he has some power. That said, he’s slow off the ball. He has poor agility and can’t seal the edge against a shifty or fast runner. He has no closing burst and can’t track down mobile QBs. Finally not a high motor guy. I‘m guessing this is a wasted signing unless he’s seen the light and arrives in surprising physical condition.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Well, first this leaves little doubt the Cards are thinking 4-3, because if this guy can play at all, he’s got to be a DE. Not much for me to like. He was a second or third round pick at best until he had a great Senior Bowl. He really showed lots of aggression and he has some power. That said, he’s slow off the ball. He has poor agility and can’t seal the edge against a shifty or fast runner. He has no closing burst and can’t track down mobile QBs. Finally not a high motor guy. I‘m guessing this is a wasted signing unless he’s seen the light and arrives in surprising physical condition.
I disagree... in a 4-3 he is a DT, undersized but still a DT... he doesnt have the burst or height to be effective at DE
there has been speculation that the main reason he failed in seattle was because they ran him out at DE...
I would guess we plan to play him inside...dude has a motor, and good intermediate speed. He is basically Markus Golden in the middle.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
So he's basically a cheap replacement for Golden.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I disagree... in a 4-3 he is a DT, undersized but still a DT... he doesnt have the burst or height to be effective at DE
there has been speculation that the main reason he failed in seattle was because they ran him out at DE...
I would guess we plan to play him inside...dude has a motor, and good intermediate speed. He is basically Markus Golden in the middle.
Great post! This guy cannot get to the QB, but he can stop the run! He absolutely has to play on the inside.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Also note that he was signed as a "Vet Signing Benefit" which reduces his cap hit to a Year 2 minimum contract which I believe is $870K against the cap

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I expect this is the exact same deal that Dennis Daley got.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Looking at his 32.4 PFF grade, making him #125 out of #127 DI that played meaningful snaps last year. So basically we signed the worst defensive lineman and the worst offensive lineman in football last year. So this guy was Seattle’s number one draft choice that couldn’t stay healthy. He’s here on a vet minimum prove it deal so no harm no foul in that. He has some potential if he can stay healthy. If he can’t we let him go.

Regardless of what we do in the draft we need to sign at least one DL in free agency that we know can start and WILL do a good job.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looking at his 32.4 PFF grade, making him #125 out of #127 DI that played meaningful snaps last year. So basically we signed the worst defensive lineman and the worst offensive lineman in football last year. So this guy was Seattle’s number one draft choice that couldn’t stay healthy. He’s here on a vet minimum prove it deal so no harm no foul in that. He has some potential if he can stay healthy. If he can’t we let him go.

Regardless of what we do in the draft we need to sign at least one DL in free agency that we know can start and WILL do a good job.

Really they are just camp bodies with more experience and upside than normal I think. Usually the camp guys are some 3rd year guy that's bounced around 7 practice squads and hasn't played a snap in the league. Probably never made a 53.

At least these guys have dozens of starts each. No doubt they have sucked at their first teams but at least you have guys that know what's required.

If we signed Jim McDorkle who went undrafted in 2019 out of UTEP and has never made a roster nobody would even comment on it because obvious camp bod. I feel these are just better versions of that.

Hopefully.

mobyhammy

Reaction score
Low risk, low cost player. Collier does seem like he's worse than a JAG, but nothing to lose. But surely, there are better options out there?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Really they are just camp bodies with more experience and upside than normal I think. Usually the camp guys are some 3rd year guy that's bounced around 7 practice squads and hasn't played a snap in the league. Probably never made a 53.
Signing camp bodies in the first week of free agency.

Absolutely brilliant.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Didn't pay or commit much to get a look, so won't hurt you

The sunk rookie cost was the main reason he hung around in Seattle

With as bad as the Seattle DL has been and even getting gashed by the run this guy was either healthy in street clothes or a surprising name when looking at snap counts - as in being surprised he was in the field because the guy is mostly invisible

Seems like a good dude and a change of scenery could help....... But I wouldn't bank on any production

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Signing camp bodies in the first week of free agency.

Absolutely brilliant.

Well they only just became free agents, and they are not solely camp bodies. That's at worst. They have upside that camp bodies don't.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
First it was berating people for complaining so early about not signing anyone. Now, when the signings are bottom of barrel they are just camp bodies.

Not sure how the 2 things are remotely connected?

People here have been saying for MONTHS that we weren't going to do **** in free agency in regards to big spending. Even @Stout was saying that.

It's been plainly obvious from the instant Kyler tore his ACL. Good players don't want to sign big long term deals with teams who's QB is recovering from an ACL and O's don't want to waste big money on losing seasons. I have no doubt after already having 3 of 4 losing seasons facing a 5th was a major factor in Allen choosing the Broncos and Murphy the Vikings.

The Brown's last year with Watsons suspension hanging over them did nothing in FA. Lot's of one year deals for journeymen. The only good add they made was the trade for Cooper.

When Burrow tore his ACL all but one of the Bengals offseason moves were short term deals for castoffs. The one deal they did pull off was Trey Hendrickson and at the time many thought it was a huge overpay for a 1 year starter from a stacked D line. Bengals fans wanted to keep Carl Lawson. Even the FO wanted to keep Lawson and only turned to Hendrickson when the Jets outbid them.

So yeah, forgive me if I find the shock that we aren't attracting free agents a bit tedious. In other news tomorrow is Thursday.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So Muphy left the 4-13 Arizona Cardinals to join the 5-12 Denver Broncos because he's obsessed with winning?

Interesting take.

The 5-12 Broncos with Sean Payton and Walmart mega bucks you mean?

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sure how the 2 things are remotely connected?

People here have been saying for MONTHS that we weren't going to do **** in free agency in regards to big spending. Even @Stout was saying that.

It's been plainly obvious from the instant Kyler tore his ACL. Good players don't want to sign big long term deals with teams who's QB is recovering from an ACL and O's don't want to waste big money on losing seasons. I have no doubt after already having 3 of 4 losing seasons facing a 5th was a major factor in Allen choosing the Broncos and Murphy the Vikings.

The Brown's last year with Watsons suspension hanging over them did nothing in FA. Lot's of one year deals for journeymen. The only good add they made was the trade for Cooper.

When Burrow tore his ACL all but one of the Bengals offseason moves were short term deals for castoffs. The one deal they did pull off was Trey Hendrickson and at the time many thought it was a huge overpay for a 1 year starter from a stacked D line. Bengals fans wanted to keep Carl Lawson. Even the FO wanted to keep Lawson and only turned to Hendrickson when the Jets outbid them.

So yeah, forgive me if I find the shock that we aren't attracting free agents a bit tedious. In other news tomorrow is Thursday.
What I said is absolutely true. You were calling out the fact that it was early in the free agency process and people were complaining. Now the bottom of the barrel signings are camp bodies with upside.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose