Peter Pan & Wendy (Disney+)

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think a lot of the recasting stuff is overblown. Yeah, it is a lazy trope but Hollywood has done lazy tropes forever.

However, Wendy's femininity and maturity is what drives the story in Peter Pan, she is the reason these stupid sloppy boys decide they need to grow up. Having a bunch of the Lost Boys be girls seemingly negates the purpose of her character.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
I think a lot of the recasting stuff is overblown. Yeah, it is a lazy trope but Hollywood has done lazy tropes forever.

However, Wendy's femininity and maturity is what drives the story in Peter Pan, she is the reason these stupid sloppy boys decide they need to grow up. Having a bunch of the Lost Boys be girls seemingly negates the purpose of her character.
Having girl lost boys also goes against one of the story narratives. Girls weren't stupid enough to fall out of their carriages to become lost boys. So now I guess girls are as stupid as boys. :)

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, there's been a lot of talk about the changing of the cast in the name of diversity. Peter is mixed-race and looks Indian, Tinkerbell is black/Iranian, lost boys now include lost girls who also happen to be black, but the big bad guy and all of his henchmen/pirates - all white men, of course.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah, there's been a lot of talk about the changing of the cast in the name of diversity. Peter is mixed-race and looks Indian, Tinkerbell is black/Iranian, lost boys now include lost girls who also happen to be black, but the big bad guy and all of his henchmen/pirates - all white men, of course.
So art imitating life.

Reaction score
Do you have issues with the casting?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't care about the casting for a millisecond. If the movie is good it's good. If it's bad it's bad.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My favorite Pixar movie is Coco. In the top 5 is Moana. I love these stories where I am exposed to a different culture and can see the world through those eyes.

I also understand that there is some backlash to these reimaginings in remakes because there will never ever be a Maui that is anything other than Polynesian.

Ultimately the video of the little girl seeing Ariel as someone like her really resonated with me. The sheer joy she had was incredible.

So you know yeah it's odd all these recastings. Also it's not about my 51 year old ass.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have issues with the casting?
It's just meh to me. Those who want to watch it will watch it as long as they have Disney+ since it isn't even worthy of a theatrical release.

Personally, I am not a fan of recasting in the name of inclusiveness or diversity. Just like gender-swapping roles, I find it to be lazy. Instead of changing known IPs, why not come up with something original with a cast of women and people of color? If you're going to change the casting of characters from a known work of fiction, why only change the good people and leave the bad characters untouched? Can't the villains be women or people of color or is that only reserved for white male characters? Instead of creative casting it comes off as an agenda intended to portray certain types of people in a certain way.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's just meh to me. Those who want to watch it will watch it as long as they have Disney+ since it isn't even worthy of a theatrical release.

Personally, I am not a fan of recasting in the name of inclusiveness or diversity. Just like gender-swapping roles, I find it to be lazy. Instead of changing known IPs, why not come up with something original with a cast of women and people of color? If you're going to change the casting of characters from a known work of fiction, why only change the good people and leave the bad characters untouched? Can't the villains be women or people of color or is that only reserved for white male characters? Instead of creative casting it comes off as an agenda intended to portray certain types of people in a certain way.
Diversity casting doesn't automatically mean lazy. I look at it like like any job out there. If you limit your pool of candidates the chances of getting the best person for the job are limited as well. People often make assumptions because a character was changed in some way, it's automatically..."woke". Meh.

These types of changes don't make or break a movie. At the end of the day it's still about the writing and directing.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't the villains be women or people of color or is that only reserved for white male characters? Instead of creative casting it comes off as an agenda intended to portray certain types of people in a certain way.

The villians should be reimagined as well.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After a hundred years of cinema where heroes were overwhelmingly White Men and villains were CONSISTENTLY people of color, there are now white villains… in roles where those characters were already white villains?

Oh noes! The horror!

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So remakes, which seem to be a large percentage of movies, should always have legacy actors (ie white male in the original, because they were the only ones "qualified" for leading roles), which perpetuates the discrimination.

So your agenda is to maintain white, straight male supremacy, it would appear. That may not be your intent, but that is the result of your post.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After a hundred years of cinema where heroes were overwhelmingly White Men and villains were CONSISTENTLY people of color, there are now white villains… in roles where those characters were already white villains?

Oh noes! The horror!

I don't think that is the point here though. No one cared that Hook was white until everyone else wasn't. Either everything is open for reinterpretation or it is going to invite some level of criticism.

I haven't seen a peep of criticism about the castings of villains in original films.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So remakes, which seem to be a large percentage of movies, should always have legacy actors (ie white male in the original, because they were the only ones "qualified" for leading roles), which perpetuates the discrimination.

So your agenda is to maintain white, straight male supremacy, it would appear. That may not be your intent, but that is the result of your post.
Many of the "classics" were written during a time where discrimination or the way you portray a certain race was considered societal norms. The original Disney Animated classic of this films uses Native American stereotypes for example. You also have to consider that people of color were often portrayed as the villains.

If you didn't fall into those norms you couldn't get published or you couldn't make your movie. I don't think future iterations or generations should be limited by the constraints or prejudices of the past. Saying it's "woke" or doesn't stick to the original artistic vision rings hollow.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many of the "classics" were written during a time where discrimination or the way you portray a certain race was considered societal norms. The original Disney Animated classic of this films uses Native American stereotypes for example. You also have to consider that people of color were often portrayed as the villains.

If you didn't fall into those norms you couldn't get published or you couldn't make your movie. I don't think future iterations or generations should be limited by the constraints or prejudices of the past. Saying it's "woke" or doesn't stick to the original artistic vision rings hollow.
Yup - exactly the point.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Remakes are lazy, too. I have no agenda at all just commenting on what others are talking about all over social media. My wife and most of my extended family are mixed and or non-white so I am not all caught up in whiteness as you seem to be implying. As I said - be creative and make some films for women and people of color rather than just taking existing properties and re-telling the same old stories, but this time with a more modern and inclusive cast.

Instead of rallying for a black James Bond, how about creating an original black spy character that's on his same level? Just one example.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remakes are lazy, too. I have no agenda at all just commenting on what others are talking about all over social media. My wife and most of my extended family are mixed and or non-white so I am not all caught up in whiteness as you seem to be implying. As I said - be creative and make some films for women and people of color rather than just taking existing properties and re-telling the same old stories, but this time with a more modern and inclusive cast.

Instead of rallying for a black James Bond, how about creating an original black spy character that's on his same level? Just one example.
Why not? Who says classics need to stick with the limitations likely driven by societal norms at the time they were written? Why should that be off limits?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not? Who says classics need to stick with the limitations likely driven by societal norms at the time they were written? Why should that be off limits?
Not saying it should be off-limits but it is definitely lazy at times. They re-did Doogie Howser, MD with a Hawaiian girl and the pilot episode was nearly word-for-word from the original script of the original pilot with Neil Patrick Harris. I do not think that kind of reimagining accomplishes much.

Doing a remake with a modern casting? Great, now show us something new and creative with the property rather than just the same film or TV series with different actors in it.

Not everything being remade fits into the "classic" category either, lol.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not saying it should be off-limits but it is definitely lazy at times. They re-did Doogie Howser, MD with a Hawaiian girl and the pilot episode was nearly word-for-word from the original script of the original pilot with Neil Patrick Harris. I do not think that kind of reimagining accomplishes much.

Doing a remake with a modern casting? Great, now show us something new and creative with the property rather than just the same film or TV series with different actors in it.

Not everything being remade fits into the "classic" category either, lol.
That still seems to be a broad assumption. You can't underscore the impact putting a person of color in a role has in a classic or KNOWN STORY everybody knows verses some generic story. Look at all the videos of little girls reactions when they see a Little Mermaid that looks like them. That's why remake changes can't just be classified as lazy. That seems to be the automatic assertion or calling it "woke". To me, that is what is lazy. Being inclusive sometimes is just that and the impact can last generations.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score

Remakes being such a high percentage of movies is a big part of the problem. We need a return to more mid-budget movies where the studios will take more of a chance.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Maybe because most original stories don't get funded, while a franchise ensured moneymaker like James Bond will??

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remakes being such a high percentage of movies is a big part of the problem. We need a return to more mid-budget movies where the studios will take more of a chance.
Studios are in it for making money. If they do, then the movie-going public needs to support them, not just show up for Top Gun: Nursing Home

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose