Today’s Rumor (3/20/23) - Three teams have approached the Cardinals about the #3 pick

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I’m hearing at least 3 teams have approached the Cards about trading their #3 pick. Most identified the Falcons & the Commanders, who were supposedly offering a first and second in 2023 & 2024, plus a third in 2024 and a player. The third team was supposedly a surprise team with a high draft position. Would Seattle or Detroit be in the market? I know Seattle just re-signed their QB. Indy wouldn’t really be a surprise. The Cards haven’t pulled the trigger, believing the price will go up as the draft approaches.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I want Anderson first and foremost.

But man....if Atlanta calls offering 2 first round picks, 2 second round picks. You have to think about that one. Atlanta is poised to probably be bad again next year. That means adding premium picks next year, plus #8 isn't bad and adding another 2nd rounder this year which gives you options.

Adding Christian Gonzalez would really help the defense, and if you add a pass rusher at #34 who is any good, the draft could still work out well.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
It's an interesting question - would the Cardinals trade with Seattle (if we knew they were going up for QB).

The odds of hitting on a QB are low and that could be a very positive result for us plus extra draft picks.

But if they hit on one - not great for us long term.

They may be willing to pay the most to get ahead of Indy (which may also drive up Indy's comp to move up).

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
If Monti Ossenfort is half as smart as I think he is - he will not be sleeping with the enemy in this year's draft, just not happening

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
It's an interesting question - would the Cardinals trade with Seattle (if we knew they were going up for QB).

The odds of hitting on a QB are low and that could be a very positive result for us plus extra draft picks.

But if they hit on one - not great for us long term.

They may be willing to pay the most to get ahead of Indy (which may also drive up Indy's comp to move up).
At that point i get some scouts on next years qb class...if they grade out stronger than these guys maybe i consider the trade. Better for seattle to get a B grade prospect this year than an A+ guy next year.

Of course... Pete might just trade up and take our guy, lol

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
the hit rate on the third QB taken in the draft is not a good one

so to finish the thought: i have no issue trading with SEA

with Geno around, they spend the pick on a player who wont impact next year, and, is likely not going to work out --- and you take a 2nd this year, and a 1st and a 2nd next year they could have used to build their roster

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
the hit rate on the third QB taken in the draft is not a good one
Since 2000, I think you can say these guys have all been a hit and they were all the 3rd QB taken. There are others who flashed but didn't work out. If you went back and looked at 1st and 2nd QBs taken during the same period, it's not a whole lot different. For every Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco, 1-2 combo, there's a JaMarcus Russell and Brady Quinn combo.

Justin Herbert
Josh Allen
Deshaun Watson
Teddy Bridgewater
Ryan Tannehill
Ben Roethlisburger

Notable 3rd QB's prior to 2000:

Brett Favre
Chris Miller
Jim Kelly
Neil Lomax (If you count Dave Wilson who was a 1981 Supplemental 1st Round Pick)

There are entire QB draft classes over the last 40 years that just makes you want to vomit...top to bottom.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Since 2000, I think you can say these guys have all been a hit and they were all the 3rd QB taken. There are others who flashed but didn't work out. If you went back and looked at 1st and 2nd QBs taken during the same period, it's not a whole lot different. For every Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco, 1-2 combo, there's a JaMarcus Russell and Brady Quinn combo.

Justin Herbert
Josh Allen
Deshaun Watson
Teddy Bridgewater
Ryan Tannehill
Ben Roethlisburger

Notable 3rd QB's prior to 2000:

Brett Favre
Chris Miller
Jim Kelly
Neil Lomax (If you count Dave Wilson who was a 1981 Supplemental 1st Round Pick)

There are entire QB draft classes over the last 40 years that just makes you want to vomit...top to bottom.
forgot about Herbert, which would have moderated my take some

this year, i feel ok about the 3rd Qb not being like Herbert: Richardson or Levis.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
So a trade like that gives them a 1st and 2 seconds (team trading and Cardinal second) in 2023 plus a player and then two 1st (Cards and team trading) and 2 seconds (Cards and team trading) and two thirds (Cards and team trading) in 2024. Yeah, I like it.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
If Atlanta offers that kind of a haul you have to seriously consider it. It has to be for Richardson. Levis is not worth that kind of a haul.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Seems like a decent haul for bluffing to me!

Oh! It is to me too.

That said, I think a more likely scenario is as follows. We are on the clock Draft Night and Indy then offers us a third or fourth to cover off the B-S factor because actually convincing them that we'll move down is a tough sell.

A third or fourth for a bluff would be fine by me. It's gravy.