Are Cards tanking?

General Chaos

Gronko = Man Beast
Reaction score
I’m fine playing the long game, but wonder what impact that has on a young new coach. Does this risk him building momentum as a new coach and winning the locker room?

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I’m fine playing the long game, but wonder what impact that has on a young new coach. Does this risk him building momentum as a new coach and winning the locker room?
I imagine they (M&M) let Gannon know there would be a "rebuild" taking place this season with a lot of player turnover taking place. But Gannon will undoubtedly still try and win every game, even if he isn't expected to

redheat

A real American hero
Reaction score
You only tank to get a QB. And just so happens next years draft will have some very good prospects.

If that’s the plan, Kyler is done in AZ. Just hope he gets healthy enough and somebody gives up two #2’s or a #2 with a solid player.

Last edited:

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
See the Detriot Lions and Miami Dolphins for the blueprint. We are going to significantly turn over the roster and draft alot of young players.
Blueprint for what? That haven’t won anything.the only reason you model yourself after other losers is because losing is easy and actually achievable

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yes and Yes. Tanking for what is a head scratcher....

Reactions: PJ1

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Cardinals realize this is a lost season without Kyler Murray due to injury.

They are laying the foundation to move forward the following season with or without him.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
We only tank if we can rid ourselves of Kyler and his contract. Otherwise it is just window dressing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How does quitting on a season before it starts encourage a winning culture and perseverance?

I don't think the Cardinals are quitting but they are being realistic about the situation. They are working on the foundation.

Their starting quarterback is out and they are resetting the table for his return or to go another direction.

Last edited:

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You only tank to get a QB. And just so happens next years draft will have some very good prospects.

If that’s the plan, Kyler is done in AZ. Just hope he gets healthy enough and somebody gives up two #2’s or a #2 with a solid player.
Bears didn't tank for a QB and they did well.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
NO! They are not “tanking”! Tanking implies they aren’t trying or don’t give a rats a(tail).

There will be 53 players on the final roster with I believe 48 or 49 dressed on game days and 15 or so on PS. There will be a lot of staff (coaches, trainers, managers, etc) that will show up every day to try to improve and more importantly compete. That is the opposite of tanking.

Now, the final players may not be good enough but I cannot imagine they will do it on purpose.

I’m pissed where we are. I got an email today reminding about my season ticket deposit. As disappointed as I am in this organization, there is not a bone in my body that believes the athletic process will suffer. We just won’t be any good! Not because of effort but because Keim left us in a dark hole.
Tanking doesn’t mean throwing games, it means creating a roster that can’t win games. If you prefer the term ‘draft pick positioning’ we can roll with that.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Blueprint for what? That haven’t won anything.the only reason you model yourself after other losers is because losing is easy and actually achievable
The Lions roster health is significantly better since the current regime took over.

Remains to be seen whether Campbell and company can win though

Mark22

VBhoopcoach
Reaction score
Teams should only ever tank for a QB. So if the Cards are in fact tanking that tells me that this regime wants to move off of Kyler after this year and go with Caleb Williams or whoever else might be the most talented QB they can get in next years draft. If they arm that new qb with a ton of draft picks after trading Hop and trading down from 3 and have a bunch of salary cap space to make moves in FA this team could be improved in 2024 and legitimately good in 2025.

People will say I'm crazy but if they think Kylers gonna come back at a high level and play a good chunk of the season (he should play at least half the games if not more) why wouldn't they gear the roster to be more competitive this year and build Kyler's confidence and skills back up instead of making 2024 the big focus.
In this thread Ive seen “They’ll trade Kyler after this tanked season“ Isn’t his cap hit still obscene in 2024?

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
In this thread Ive seen “They’ll trade Kyler after this tanked season“ Isn’t his cap hit still obscene in 2024?
It’s a $46m cap hit if traded next year. The Falcons took on a $40m cap hit when they traded Matt Ryan. It’s not unthinkable like some make it seem.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Detroit is a borderline playoff team and Miami is a playoff team. Both have young rosters and an extended window due to their rosters.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Do you think they think they are quitting?

I think they believe the team needs a few tweeks, better coaching, and better health.
I mean, that may have been true with the roster they went into 2022 with, but this team isn’t going to look much like the at one, and the 2024 version will look even less so.

If the team think it just needs a few tweaks they’re going about it in a hamfisted way.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose