Are Cards tanking?

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This seems to be insinuated in a few threads. Cards roster was already completely void of talent. Since then, most guys with any promise/ability are gone. JJ and rodney retire, and Cards somehow let Byron Muurphy and Zach Allen walk on reasonable deals. It seems like Hop is outta here as well.

Literally the only players on the roster I think we have confidence in at this point would be Budda and Hollywood.

Either Cards new management is laughable or they are embracing the tank.

Personally, I think its genius. With Kyler on IR and just digging himself a grave with fans and media, this is the Cards way out. You tank for Caleb, light fire under Kyler to show some ability in 7-10 games next year and move that contract for a first rounder. This has to be what they are doing as this roster, as constructed, may not win a game next year. Fine with me as long I can hitch my wagon to Suns for a year.

Okay, go

Last edited:

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
This seems to be insinuated in a few threads. Cards roster was already completely void of talent. Since then, most guys with any promise/ability are gone. JJ and rodney retire, and Cards somehow let Byron Muurphy and Zach Allen walk on reasonable deals. It seems like Hop is outta here as well.

Literally the only players on the roster I think we have confidence in at this point would be Budda and Hollywood.

Either Cards new management is laughable or they are embracing the tank.

Personally, I think its genius. With Kyler on IR and just digging himself a grave with fans and media, this is the Cards way out. You tank for Caleb, hope Kyler shows some ability in 7-10 games next year and move that contract for a first rounder. This has to be what they are doing as this roster, as constructed, I dont think can win a game next year which is fine with me as long I can hitch my wagon to Suns for a year.

What say you?
this guy here gets it... ^^^^

Bravo my good man!

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I want to say yes, but them the Hump restructure makes no sense.

I wonder if it's an enforced tank. That they are finding signing FA's tougher than they thought with all the uncertainty about 2023.

Short answer is I don't know. It's confusing.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think they are tanking per se. I think they aren't making big money decisions about most of our roster either. So it either looks like they aren't trying to get better in the short term, or they are tanking.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think they are tanking per se. I think they aren't making big money decisions about most of our roster either. So it either looks like they aren't trying to get better in the short term, or they are tanking.
Lol… this was my entire argument in the other thread! So far, the plan looks like neither fish nor fowl. It just looks cheap.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol… this was my entire argument in the other thread! So far, the plan looks like neither fish nor fowl. It just looks cheap.
We all know this team is cheap. I'm only surprised that people now seeing this. Maybe it's just highlighted by the start of free agency on a team that was already terrible to begin with.

I would not be surprised if Bidwill said, 'Here's 15-20M to work with this offseason. Make it work because that's all you are getting.'

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when two of the first three signings after 3 days of free agency are a Danish lineman who never started a game and Kevin Strong u are absolutely tanking
Never started a game???

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well there are definitely people acting like they are just seeing it….
Nah. Most of the people here are just arguing against those who profess they’re not being cheap and are simply tanking… even though the team isn’t really doing that to best extent either.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
They recognize the lack of talent on the roster and I believe are on a 2 year plan to put together a young roster that fits JG's model. The signing of several young players to 2 year contracts that are really one year contracts with a team option for the second year is one indication. Most of these guys will be depth in year 2 or cut. Most of the talent will be added via the draft this year and next.

Keeping Ertz and Conner at their expensive contracts is a nod to having a couple of good locker room players to set an example for and help adjust the rookies to the NFL. Cutting them or negotiating a cheaper contract may in the cards NEXT year but not this year.

If Murray was available week one I think there would be more of a sense of urgency. He isn't. It isn't "win now" it's "win later"

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose