95th Annual Oscars

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For all the Cruise shouldn’t have shown up because he wasn’t going to win anyway, why is he special compared to EVERYONE ELSE who showed up when Everything Everywhere kept sweeping almost every award in every award show?

That was a punk move from an egocentric schmuck who didn’t want to be the butt of any jokes and couldn’t face the fact that he might not have all the town’s smoke blown up his ass like he and some of you thought he deserved as a human right.

That said, I will enjoy continuing to watch him try and kill himself on screen. And I don’t blame him for trying to do so considering the contributions he’s made to boost and defend a horrific cult that destroys people’s lives without impunity.

Thinking people need to suck the crap out of Tom Cruise’s butt more than people already have for the last year is comedy.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For all the Cruise shouldn’t have shown up because he wasn’t going to win anyway, why is he special compared to EVERYONE ELSE who showed up when Everything Everywhere kept sweeping almost every award in every award show?

That was a punk move from an egocentric schmuck who didn’t want to be the butt of any jokes and couldn’t face the fact that he might not have all the town’s smoke blown up his ass like he and some of you thought he deserved as a human right.

That said, I will enjoy continuing to watch him try and kill himself on screen. And I don’t blame him for trying to do so considering the contributions he’s made to boost and defend a horrific cult that destroys people’s lives without impunity.
It was likely he wasn't going to win and he was working. Maybe I am thinking of a different awards show but hasn't the Oscar's before had "just in case" camera crews for people not there who were working? I swear I have seen that before or maybe that was a different awards show. If so, I wouldn't think that is a big deal not being there.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Thinking people need to suck the crap out of Tom Cruise’s butt more than people already have for the last year is comedy.
Jesus. Missed the point entirely but ok.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

An oldie but a goodie for you, cheese. :cool:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score

Why does he need to show up? I'm not going to fault anyone for not showing up to that self aggrandizing show that mainly functions as an ego stroke. I'd probably do the same thing. All I want out of Tom or any actor is to entertain me with their movies/shows. The pomp and circumstance outside of that does not matter and can be a distraction. I'd rather him be working on his next project then wasting a night going to something he's not into.

I feel the same with athlete when it comes to interviews and stuff outside of the game. Give me the cranky Randy Johnson that wins cy youngs and a WS for us over a gregarious scrub that takes us nowhere.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tom Cruise wasn't the only person who skipped the Oscars. James Cameron wasn't there either and he had a film nominated for Best Picture, too.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
I'm not going to fault anyone for not showing up to that self aggrandizing show that mainly functions as an ego stroke.

Like all award shows, the Oscars main function is to serve as a catalyst to create excitement and business for the industry. When a film or a recording artist sweeps up a lot of awards, it creates consumer demand to experience those products.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Tom Cruise wasn't the only person who skipped the Oscars. James Cameron wasn't there either and he had a film nominated for Best Picture, too.

True. No offense to James Cameron, but he has absolutely no star appeal with the general public.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol, just saying he is no Tom Cruise. Nobody is discussing the absence of Cameron today.
Not true. He’s getting blasted around the industry and on podcasts also. It’s a total slap in the face not just to the other nominees but SPECIFICALLY to those on your own crew who were nominated, had a chance to win and DID win in a couple spots for both movies.

It’s stupid ego crap for Cameron And stupid ego crap and not wanting to face Scientology jokes for Cruise.

Last edited:

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t care about the awards I just think it should have been called out.
I thought Jimmy Kimmel did that right at the beginning, saying that TGM was what brought people back to the theaters. Did you mean formal recognition?

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The film and Cruise's part in bringing people back to the theaters would have been much greater had Cruise simply shown up in person.

Oscars: 3-Minute Riff on Tom Cruise Was Cut From Kimmel's Monologue When Top Gun Star Was a No-Show

Jimmy Kimmel’s Oscars monologue would have zeroed in on Tom Cruise, yet steered clear of any danger zone, had the Top Gun: Maverick star actually attended Sunday night’s ceremony.

Yet despite the blockbuster Top Gun sequel being up for a half-dozen Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Cruise opted to not even do a fly-by at the Dolby Theatre, and instead was a no-show.

As a result, Kimmel fired off only a few quips about Cruise, whereas an alternate draft of his monologue had a “three-minute chunk” dedicated to the man who, it has been said, saved the movies after years of pandemic-depressed box office numbers.

Had Cruise been in attendance, “We had about a three-minute chunk of the monologue dedicated to Tom Cruise, honoring him and his role in reviving the movie industry,” Oscars executive producer Molly McNearney (who is also Kimmel’s wife and a JKL EP) told our sister site Variety. “We were so disappointed when we learned a few days before the Oscars that he wouldn’t be there. Jimmy loves him and really wanted to celebrate him.”

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The film and Cruise's part in bringing people back to the theaters would have been much greater had Cruise simply shown up in person.

Oscars: 3-Minute Riff on Tom Cruise Was Cut From Kimmel's Monologue When Top Gun Star Was a No-Show​

Jimmy Kimmel’s Oscars monologue would have zeroed in on Tom Cruise, yet steered clear of any danger zone, had the Top Gun: Maverick star actually attended Sunday night’s ceremony.

Yet despite the blockbuster Top Gun sequel being up for a half-dozen Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Cruise opted to not even do a fly-by at the Dolby Theatre, and instead was a no-show.

As a result, Kimmel fired off only a few quips about Cruise, whereas an alternate draft of his monologue had a “three-minute chunk” dedicated to the man who, it has been said, saved the movies after years of pandemic-depressed box office numbers.

Had Cruise been in attendance, “We had about a three-minute chunk of the monologue dedicated to Tom Cruise, honoring him and his role in reviving the movie industry,” Oscars executive producer Molly McNearney (who is also Kimmel’s wife and a JKL EP) told our sister site Variety. “We were so disappointed when we learned a few days before the Oscars that he wouldn’t be there. Jimmy loves him and really wanted to celebrate him.”
That's good to hear. But he had a pretty good excuse not to go.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's good to hear. But he had a pretty good excuse not to go.
True, but you're Tom Freaking Cruise and could really make it there if you wanted to be there, IMHO.

By not being there you open the door for more stuff like this:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
True, but you're Tom Freaking Cruise and could really make it there if you wanted to be there, IMHO.

By not being there you open the door for more stuff like this:

He's been dealing with that type of crap for over 20 years. Pretty sure that isn't a consideration for him.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before everybody puts Cruise through a meatgrinder then pisses on the hamburger, do we know where Cruise is currently filming? It appears he is doing so in England. If so, it puts a different spin on him "shunning" the Oscars and attending Caine's birthday.

Edit: BTW.... Not everyone thinks Cruise is a jerk. Personally, I have no idea.

https://www.vulture.com/2022/05/19-...Hollywood press tour,how to ride a motorcycle.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

More people didn't show up than DID show up IMO. From Meryl Streep to Zendaya and Tom Holland.

Many were in town, went to the after parties, but skipped the show. Spike Lee went to the Staples Center and watched the Knicks game.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson