Free Agency

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Okay, is signing Wentz for 5-8 games "humiliating" compared to sticking with Colt McCoy? And I don't mean to trash Colt. I don't mean to prop up Wentz. But... why? Are any of the backup guys out there real replacements for Kyler?

The board is confusing me this year.
If the goal is to break down the roster completely and tank the season, why sign anyone? Why not let Colt, McSorley and a late round rookie battle it out all year and lose as many games as possible?

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
1. If we trade D Hop before the Draft I'm guessing-The Chiefs. But no reason to reach for a deal, wait for the PS or RS. NO REASON to panic. At worst, imo, we end up with a third, at best a second, if a contending team suffers an injury.
2. At QB we want a Kyler type so that we don't have to change our offensive game plan. Thought Brissett would have been ideal. With who is left I like Mariota better than Minshew, but I guess either would be Kyler like.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
In the early stages of FA, everything is an overpay.
If this is your premise, then you're never going to have any success in FA. There were plenty of good deals signed - just because it's early in FA doesn't automatically make it a bad deal.
The only reason you participate in that is if you’re a player or two from a championship run.
Such a limited view of FA.
The Cardinals are not tanking just for the sake of tanking. They are trying to build a team through the draft, instead of spending big money in FA as a bandaid because we’ve drafted horribly.
Why not build through the draft AND FA? This isn't a one or the other proposition.
but that’s why it was a horrible decision by the Bidwill’s to constantly hire from within.
You know why they constantly hire from within, right?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
If the goal is to break down the roster completely and tank the season, why sign anyone? Why not let Colt, McSorley and a late round rookie battle it out all year and lose as many games as possible?
And why aren't we taking our medicine with guys like Connor/Ertz if the goal is to clear the books?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
And why aren't we taking our medicine with guys like Connor/Ertz if the goal is to clear the books?
Not sure they'd want to cut Ertz, while he's injured...however, like I mentioned yesterday, I think both could and should be looked at after the draft. Heck, they can easily be camp cuts, too.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The last couple of days, both edge rusher Bud Dupree, and cornerback Byron Jones was realesed by the Titans and Dolphins respectively. Ossenfort was involved in signing Dupree in Tennessee, and Jones would be a very high risk-high reward signing after missing all of last season, and still not able to do much with his legs.

Both could be great additions.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I think we will see guys like Ertz and Connor get traded at the deadline. We will be lucky to get 5th or 6th round pick for either one of them.
Sad to see a guy like Sanders get a 4 year 24m contract while we are paying Connor 9m.
Ertz makes almost $9m in salary in 2023 and Conner over $6m.. who exactly is going to want to take on those contracts?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The last couple of days, both edge rusher Bud Dupree, and cornerback Byron Jones was realesed by the Titans and Dolphins respectively. Ossenfort was involved in signing Dupree in Tennessee, and Jones would be a very high risk-high reward signing after missing all of last season, and still not able to do much with his legs.

Both could be great additions.
Disagree heavily.

Jones has significant injury history and made comments recently about how his injuries will be debilitating for life.

Dupree at his best has never been a good lead pass rusher. He's Markus Golden, but more expensive.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
If you look at the haul the Bears got ( another rebuilding team with a questionable qb ) then you can understand why getting the first overall pick is important

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ertz makes almost $9m in salary in 2023 and Conner over $6m.. who exactly is going to want to take on those contracts?
If they are picking them up halfway through the season they would be paying that. Of course it would take a team aspirating to make the playoffs with a recent injury at that position.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
Disagree heavily.

Jones has significant injury history and made comments recently about how his injuries will be debilitating for life.

Dupree at his best has never been a good lead pass rusher. He's Markus Golden, but more expensive.
Agree...he literally just said he couldn't run or jump.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

As well as having been an All Pro. This is the definition of high risk-high reward, as I mentioned. :)

Have you look at the depth chart, recently? :) Bud Depree would be the best edge rusher immediately.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
As well as having been an All Pro. This is the definition of high risk-high reward, as I mentioned. :)

Have you look at the depth chart, recently? :) Bud Depree would be the best edge rusher immediately.
Out of Dupree, Jack and Clowney, who you going with?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA