Vikings Sign Byron Murphy

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
FYI, love the avatar! I was a Sixers fan in the mid to late 60’s when Chamberlain & Hal Greer were kicking butt. When the Sixers traded Wilt & became irrelevant, I fell in love with the Knicks under Frazier, Reed, DeBusshere, Bradley, and Earl the Pearl. Still a Knicks fan to this day, but rooting for the Cardinals & Knicks all these years is as close to martyrdom as a person can be lol.
This is true PA! LOL! I love old school style logos. I don't see this one often with the current regime, but I think it's awesome.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know. It seems like it's just going to be pretty balanced and mediocre. I think a division can be weak (looking at you NFC and AFC Souths), but not a conference. One of these teams is going to make the Super Bowl and achieve immortality regardless.

San Francisco will be good. Philly and Minnesota will be good. Dallas will probably be good.

This is the key fact. Three teams from the NFC East made the playoffs last year. The Commies were contending for a playoff berth through Week 16. I think they controlled their own destiny up to that point.

Minnesota is going to suck they massively overpaid for a CB!

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I thought they were going to build the scheme around the talents of the players available?

Allen could be a really good 4-3 DT, where he was effect for the... checks notes... Arizona Cardinals. Byron Murphy was effective playing outside the past two seasons for the... quick google search... Arizona Cardinals.

Trading DHop actually saves cap money if done this year.

People complaining about shedding bad contracts are complaining because we're not doing that. If we dump Zach Ertz (age 33) and James Conner (age 28) right now we'd eat nearly $20 million in dead money and save about $3 million on this years cap. But then we'd be done with them and clear the 2024 cap and beyond. That's how you start a rebuild.
I think it's fair to be flexible in scheme, accepting it's not "the system works," but knowing that you have guys who need to do certain things and do it well to fit something of a philosophy.

Byron Murphy was... effective. Fine. But there's a reason I'm not panicked. We drafted him to play slot (which, for all of the hassle I got from @BritCard before, it is kinda funny to see him on my side with Murphy here, finally) and he was forced to the outside. Some good games, but nothing mind-blowing, with the injury problems. And let's be fair, I would have signed him for what he got.

With Ertz though, the contract's dead cap out is next year. Per Spotrac, we've got an out with only $4 million in dead cap in 2024. Why cut him? Out of principle? Not to mention, we're stuck with a $2m voided year thanks to Keim in 2025. Why not get something out of him while we can? Anything?

Conner's potential out is also next year, with a $2m dead cap. Why not use him?

If there's guys you're only going to save a few million on that can play on existing contracts that we're locked into anyways, why not just hang on and let them go next year, when it fits for the franchise?

Unless you want no TE2 behind McBride and Corey Clement at RB1.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I agree...I do think, however, guys like Ertz and Conner will be on the chopping block after the draft. For Ertz, it may not be until he's healthy to practice, so they don't have to do an injury settlement.

According to Spotrac, for Ertz a Pre-June cut this year is only a $2.6 million savings, with $10 million dead cap...However, after June 1st a cut this year is a $6.6 cap savings, with $6 million dead in 2023 and $4 million dead in 2024. it could be they are waiting to see what other players get designated as June 1st cuts??? Darius Slay??? If they trade Ertz after June 1 this year, dead cap is $2 million this year and $4 million 2024, with a cap savings of $10.6 million this year.

Conner is more interesting: Pre-June 1st Release: Dead cap 2023 $9.75 Million, Cap Savings just $695k. Post June 1st Release: Dead Cap $7.75 million in 2023 and $2 million in 2024. Pre-June 1st Trade: $4 million dead cap and $6.445 cap savings. Post June 1st Trade: $2 million dead in 2023 and 2024 with $8.445 million in cap savings.

It seems to me for Conner there is trade flexibility for the Cards to move him pre-June 1st and eat some of the potential cap savings.
Oops, sorry man, I answered well behind the horn - I'm with ya.

Cardsmasochist

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
After 30+ years of being a diehard Cardinals fan, my obsession with the team ended last season. I no longer read every article about the team. I no longer let a loss ruin my day (or week). I lost all hope for this team. I’ll be happy if they ever attain greatness but I’m not holding my breath.

The Cardinals have a couple of good seasons/decade followed by a free fall and years of floundering. As someone else pointed out: Michael Bidwill might have a burning desire to win but just really doesn’t know how. He sucks at it. This latest player survey just confirms it.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
4 years ago he was the #1 pick of the 2nd round.
2 years ago he was a top slot corner.
5 INT's, 5 Fumble Recoveries, 2 defensive TD's, 184 tackles, 5 TFL's and he's from the damn city we play in.

This is zombie level idiocy on behalf of this organization. You do not let go of CB's this young with his level of ball skills. Not when it's clear he was cheap and could have been kept.
Four years ago he was overdrafted. Two years ago we overdrafted a slot corner.

He's not bad, I'd have preferred to keep him, but if anyone wants to dig back into my history, I could tell you this guy wasn't really a star. Coulda had Jamel Dean a lot later in the same draft.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After 30+ years of being a diehard Cardinals fan, my obsession with the team ended last season. I no longer read every article about the team. I no longer let a loss ruin my day (or week). I lost all hope for this team. I’ll be happy if they ever attain greatness but I’m not holding my breath.

The Cardinals have a couple of good seasons/decade followed by a free fall and years of floundering. As someone else pointed out: Michael Bidwill might have a burning desire to win but just really doesn’t know how. He sucks at it. This latest player survey just confirms it.
So u re not a masochist anymore, time to change your username
Cardsapathetic?

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree...I do think, however, guys like Ertz and Conner will be on the chopping block after the draft. For Ertz, it may not be until he's healthy to practice, so they don't have to do an injury settlement.

According to Spotrac, for Ertz a Pre-June cut this year is only a $2.6 million savings, with $10 million dead cap...However, after June 1st a cut this year is a $6.6 cap savings, with $6 million dead in 2023 and $4 million dead in 2024. it could be they are waiting to see what other players get designated as June 1st cuts??? Darius Slay??? If they trade Ertz after June 1 this year, dead cap is $2 million this year and $4 million 2024, with a cap savings of $10.6 million this year.

Conner is more interesting: Pre-June 1st Release: Dead cap 2023 $9.75 Million, Cap Savings just $695k. Post June 1st Release: Dead Cap $7.75 million in 2023 and $2 million in 2024. Pre-June 1st Trade: $4 million dead cap and $6.445 cap savings. Post June 1st Trade: $2 million dead in 2023 and 2024 with $8.445 million in cap savings.

It seems to me for Conner there is trade flexibility for the Cards to move him pre-June 1st and eat some of the potential cap savings.
Ertz isn't getting cut. $10 million in dead money is dead money even if spread out. He could have trade value at the deadline or after the season since he'll only cost a new team $7 million next season.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ertz isn't getting cut. $10 million in dead money is dead money even if spread out. He could have trade value at the deadline or after the season since he'll only cost a new team $7 million next season.

Yep! Plus didn't the Cards New OC say that they will be running a bunch of 12 and 13 personnel? You will need TEs to run those formations.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many here have been screaming Tank Tank Tank.
Some are screaming Tank… but not to much.
And there are some that want to sign every recognizable free agent out there.
I wanted Keim and Kingsbury gone. I was willing to live with what comes after this year. Some would say I’m swallowing the same old s***. But it it has to start somewhere.
I won’t be feverishly watching this year with a bunch of expectations. I’m sure there will be times I’ll question just WTF are we doing. I do hope we get a decent Qb that can at least keep the game interesting. I will evaluate this regime as the year unfolds.
All that being said I am not going to debate anybody on their views of lost players or signed free agents. It is what it is and I’m going to let the chips fall where they fall.

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
Any of those teams can easily be beaten in a one-game playoff scenario with their respective QB situations.

Tanking is the epitome of dumb when 7 of 16 teams makes the single elimination tournament every year.

Doesn't really matter how weak the NFC is overall when Kyler is likely to miss a significant part of the season and probably not be close to 100% until the following year.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Doesn't really matter how weak the NFC is overall when Kyler is likely to miss a significant part of the season and probably not be close to 100% until the following year.
Yes. Where will we find a quarterback who can go toe to toe with Geno Smith and Brock Purdy in this division?

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Already set my expectations for the next two years to be some ugly football, with slow positive growth. Will be truly disappointed if we don’t turn a corner in late 2024 into 2025 season and take our first baby steps to contend in the NFC West. I will give the new regime the next two years to mold this organization into what they want within the front office and on the field.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The worst part is not that new regime didn't keep a player who is young and talented CB.

The worst part is that the local home grown boy likely doesn't want to do anything with that local franchise anymore.....

If he is young and talented why was the best deal he could get only $8.75m a year with incentives? Good young CB's don't go for that money.

Who says he didn't want to have anything to do with the Cardinals?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
If its such a chore to be a fan of the Cards for some people then why not just root for someone else? Simple as that.
Right! The old "be positive or be a fan of some other team!" scthick. One step removed from questioning fandom. Some folks really run with their BCFS (Battered Cards Fan Syndrome).

Reactions: PJ1

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Okay. One move in FA ruined the rest of the off-season. I see how the dark side think now.
This is the worst “analysis” I’ve ever seen on ASFN and that’s saying something.

Unless you count Murphy and Allen as “one move.” That’s some very cardinals logic. And every other signing that technically were available to the cardinals and might’ve factored into their future have to be taken into account as well, at some level. But yeah, “one move” . . . lol.

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This is the worst “analysis” I’ve ever seen on ASFN and that’s saying something.

Unless you count Murphy and Allen as “one move.” That’s some very cardinals logic. And every other signing that technically were available to the cardinals and might’ve factored into their future have to be taken into account as well, at some level. But yeah, “one move” . . . lol.

My point was everyone is complaining about the small cumulation of moves overall or lack their of, and saying they haven’t done enough. My point being wait until the entire offseason is over before judging. But hey may as well call me an idiot. Thanks ouchie. Thought more of you than that.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
At this price I can only assume the medicals scared off the Cards. They were in the best position to evaluate. I’m still preaching patience on these questionable signings.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose