Vikings Sign Byron Murphy

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not yet. We're at the part where you say that free agency hasn't started yet.

We heard this same stuff last season. It's a regular cycle of accepting failure. Why don't some fans expect more?

I don't know, they could probably wait until FA and the draft is over at the very least.

One thing I know with absolute certainty is March 15th is 100% not the time to be moaning about the state of the roster.

Maybe next year you can surprise us and start early? Get it in there in early March.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No I didn't say that. I said agents have been discussing players and working out what they can get in free agency since February and that if Allen and Murphy weren't re-signed by Monday the odds were low they were signing back here.

There is no conflicting argument to make you spin. Both things coexists. On the one hand he is a CB2 which is why he got paid like a CB2, and we do currently have one of them. On the other, at that price you can find a role for him, even if it's mainly back in the slot and part of an outside rotation depending on the situation.

You can even make Murphy the CB2 and put the time and effort into making Wilson CB1 seeing he has the physical traits to do that job and Murphy will always be limited to CB2 by average athletic ability.

Short arms, short height, below average speed. He was never going to be a CB1. 48% of all starting CB's in the league and All CB1's have a RAS of 8+.

You must be registered for see images attach
Oh you absolutely said the agent would come back to see if the Cardinals would give a better offer. Myself and CBUS told you it is not the way it works.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
While everyone is bemoaning the state of the roster there are at least 20 players we still need to add to it.

How you can judge something that's about 40% incomplete I'm not sure.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
PA, what's crazy, and I'm starting to allow it to gain more traction in my head, is that I don't believe that Kyler IS his guy. We seem to be heading to a situation in which we can usher in 2 years of trash truck juice product in the field, and then Gannon and Monti will be allowed to choose whom they want to take over this team. I just don't see them making any attempt to maximize Kyler's ceiling with the Cardinals and that is obvious with the tank job they have forced upon us.
Philly, it’s too early to say for sure what JG really thinks of Murray. If he wanted this job, he certainly had to come out in support of Kyler. But, until we know for sure, we have to assume he feels he can elevate Kyler’s play. No coach worth their salt doesn’t believe they can do just that. No one will ever convince me that KK wasn’t a millstone around Kyler’s neck. And for that reason alone, I’m confident that Kyler will improve dramatically under new tutelage. People have to keep in mind that Murray had one season under his belt in college, and then was forced to be Superman in his first season in the NFL. Has Murray really ever been given the time to hone the mental aspects of the NFL? Probably not. Now, he has all the time in the world to do just that. Gannon has said that he will stress his players during meetings. I fully expect that he will do that and probably even more with Murray. We will find out a lot about Murray in short order. And this injury may very well be exactly what he and this franchise needs. I personally think that if Murray stays healthy, and no one can predict he can or cannot, that he will be a difference maker in the future. If he doesn’t stay healthy, his success will be elsewhere.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Oh you absolutely said the agent would come back to see if the Cardinals would give a better offer. Myself and CBUS told you it is not the way it works.

Yeah I did say that, but not when free Agency started though.

Because while the team is negotiating with the agent to re-sign the player that agent is already talking to every other team for weeks before FA starts to see what outside interest there is and using that in his negotiations.

I said once the tampering period starts if they haven't signed then odds are they won't.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
We have no idea who we are replacing them with because (insert a drumroll to make the point again)...

Free agency literally just started.

What actually happens every year is the players you're not re-signing leave before the replacements join.

Yes, remember when people we bemoaning the state of the secondary at this time. You said this exact same thing, and also that corners are interchangeable and solutions are easily found.

Then we added Treyvon Mullen. You said he was Actually Better Than Byron Murphy and the secondary was going to be fine.

The Cards pass defense was... 24th in yards, 28th in TDs allowed, and 21st in DVOA.

Good take.

I don't know, they could probably wait until FA and the draft is over at the very least.

One thing I know with absolute certainty is March 15th is 100% not the time to be moaning about the state of the roster.

Maybe next year you can surprise us and start early? Get it in there in early March.

What is the point of this post?

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Philly, it’s too early to say for sure what JG really thinks of Murray. If he wanted this job, he certainly had to come out in support of Kyler. But, until we know for sure, we have to assume he feels he can elevate Kyler’s play. No coach worth their salt doesn’t believe they can do just that. No one will ever convince me that KK wasn’t a millstone around Kyler’s neck. And for that reason alone, I’m confident that Kyler will improve dramatically under new tutelage. People have to keep in mind that Murray had one season under his belt in college, and then was forced to be Superman in his first season in the NFL. Has Murray really ever been given the time to hone the mental aspects of the NFL? Probably not. Now, he has all the time in the world to do just that. Gannon has said that he will stress his players during meetings. I fully expect that he will do that and probably even more with Murray. We will find out a lot about Murray in short order. And this injury may very well be exactly what he and this franchise needs. I personally think that if Murray stays healthy, and no one can predict he can or cannot, that he will be a difference maker in the future. If he doesn’t stay healthy, his success will be elsewhere.
Fair enough my brother! God willing, we will re-visit this issue, you and I in about 3 years! :thumbup:

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Fair enough my brother! God willing, we will re-visit this issue, you and I in about 3 years! :thumbup:
FYI, love the avatar! I was a Sixers fan in the mid to late 60’s when Chamberlain & Hal Greer were kicking butt. When the Sixers traded Wilt & became irrelevant, I fell in love with the Knicks under Frazier, Reed, DeBusshere, Bradley, and Earl the Pearl. Still a Knicks fan to this day, but rooting for the Cardinals & Knicks all these years is as close to martyrdom as a person can be lol.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe Monti's plan/vision is stockpiling compensatory picks for losing players to other teams...

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, remember when people we bemoaning the state of the secondary at this time. You said this exact same thing, and also that corners are interchangeable and solutions are easily found.

Then we added Treyvon Mullen. You said he was Actually Better Than Byron Murphy and the secondary was going to be fine.

The Cards pass defense was... 24th in yards, 28th in TDs allowed, and 21st in DVOA.

Good take.

Cards traded for Mullen in August. Which time frame are we dealing with here? March or the one after one of our cornerbacks died?

Regarding Mullen I believe what I said was that he was statistically as good, if not better, than Murphy. Which he was. Probably still is. I assume that Mullens fall from grace from regular starter to roster hopper is due to the ankle injury that caused him to miss much of 2021.

I believe it was a reminder that March 15th is not the time to accept more or predict less. It's a time to sit back and see what happens.

Think of it like getting your portrait painted. Best to just sit and wait until the major elements have been painted before telling the artist they suck.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I believe it was a reminder that March 15th is not the time to accept more or predict less. It's a time to sit back and see what happens.

Think of it like getting your portrait painted. Best to just sit and wait until the major elements have been painted before telling the artist they suck.
You must be registered for see images attach

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Maybe Monti's plan/vision is stockpiling compensatory picks for losing players to other teams...
If they’re players that have an injury past, or they aren’t the right mental/physical makeup, then yes, stockpiling compensatory picks will be part of the process of losing players to other teams. And that’s fine with me. No one can dispute the fact that we brought in Sears to not only evaluate what we currently have in house, but to hit on the many draft picks that we will no doubt try to maximize. Not only are we going to trade out of three, but I would be surprised if we don’t trade down twice in the 1st round. And we will trade down as often as we can throughout the draft.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This really sucks because I predicted he'd come back on a 1 year $10 million deal to reset his value. Maybe he felt his value would drop playing through a rebuild. If not, this is highly disappointing for Monti!
Why disappointing to Monti? As it pertains to Murphy, that’s on Keim for not signing him last year. And why do you want to re-sign a guy who’s had 2 back injuries? Take it from a guy who’s had back injuries, they stay the course for many years. When you’re a franchise that routinely incurs a crap load of injuries, and the current draft is loaded with outside CB’s, then it’s understandable to pass with Murphy.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Many good points and very well written. KK and SK are the perfect storm sadly. I wonder why it took so long for someone to whisper to "the big man" hey you are sitting on a time bomb. I think the DUI really was the alarm clock that woke him up....even though I suspect MB had to sense something earlier.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
This really sucks because I predicted he'd come back on a 1 year $10 million deal to reset his value. Maybe he felt his value would drop playing through a rebuild. If not, this is highly disappointing for Monti!
Seems like we all need to face the cold hard reality that players just don't want to be here. Can't really blame them - why stay at a Motel 6 when you can stay at the Biltmore?

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why disappointing to Monti? As it pertains to Murphy, that’s on Keim for not signing him last year. And why do you want to re-sign a guy who’s had 2 back injuries? Take it from a guy who’s had back injuries, they stay the course for many years. When you’re a franchise that routinely incurs a crap load of injuries, and the current draft is loaded with outside CB’s, then it’s understandable to pass with Murphy.
Murphy publicly said he wanted to stay home. A report came out he was willing to do a reasonable 1 year deal to reset his value. If Murphy wanted to stay home and Monti didn't make an offer, then it's on Monti. Murphy missed 2 games prior to this season and it was said that if the Cardinals were in it, he would have returned and played through his back issue. A one year deal is perfect for a rebuild and for the Cardinals.

Again though, I said it is on Monti only if Murphy wanted to return. We don't know if he wanted a fresh start with a contender abd we probably won't know.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Good take.

To antagonize and attack posters. That is all.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like we all need to face the cold hard reality that players just don't want to be here. Can't really blame them - why stay at a Motel 6 when you can stay at the Biltmore?
Murphy was different though. Home grown kid who didn't want to move. We'll never know the whole story, but this one seems off to me.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Do you think the Cards maybe used the same numbers, but wanted a longer deal with him, through the rebuild? Basically a longer term hometown discount, but Murphy always wanted a 1 year deal (which this essentially is) to reset his value for next year? I know it's next level spitballing...

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you think the Cards maybe used the same numbers, but wanted a longer deal with him, through the rebuild? Basically a longer term hometown discount, but Murphy always wanted a 1 year deal (which this essentially is) to reset his value for next year? I know it's next level spitballing...
That could be plausible for sure. If so, then I wouldn't be upset with either side.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose