Vikings Sign Byron Murphy

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More and more opposing fans… he sits in that stadium on Sundays…. Let him feel it more and more and more. I could call them today and pick up tickets again easy peasy in damn near any section of that stadium. it’s not like these are the GB Packers or NY Giants waiting list. The only thing you’d be losing is your SB ticket lottery positioning lol…. You could jump back in at anytime. :)
Well, we still go to every game so season tickets make the most sense for us. To each their own.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Yes. Allen and Murphy are both players with upside you'd hope to access through the hotshot coaching staff you just hired.

They'd be reaching their potential just at the time you hope that the rebuilding seeds your planting in the next two seasons will bloom.

In the meantime, they can provide leadership and help establish the culture you're trying to build in the locker room.

Fun straw-man argument. Only poverty fans are willing to sacrifice three straight seasons on the altar of a rebuild while the Giants go from 4-13 to the playoffs in a single season.

Give me a date you're waiting to judge the roster -- because this game goes on every offseason.

Judge the team by the end of free agency.

No, judge the roster after the draft.

No, judge the roster after June 1.

No, judge this team by what shows up in training camp.

You can't really judge this roster until Kyler Murray returns sometime after Halloween.

Well, it's going to take time for Kyler to get used to his new teammates and playbook -- he was only getting mental reps. Probably best to wait until next season.
Failure will always find excuse makers - the NFL is full of teams that make quick turnarounds, yet the excuse makers will always make it about fans being bad. Despite a century of failure.

Poverty fan base.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I bet this thread is a fun place to be.

First up, I did say Murphy was getting nowhere near $16m.

The reason he's getting nowhere near $16m is that he isn't a CB1 and has never been close. He's a decent CB2 or middling slot which is why the Vikings are paying him CB2 money.

We already have a CB2 in Marco Wilson that costs us less than $1m a year. We don't need another that costs $11m, we need a CB1.

That being said, for this money I would have signed him on a short deal considering the state of the roster and that we are paying Marco Wilson very little. We could have found a role for Murphy.

But I'm not the GM and they know better than me. Maybe they have something else lined up or a plan for the draft.
Who are you arguing with? Who said Murphy was getting $16M? You said the way FA works is you let the player go to free agency and wait for his agent to call and then you get a chance to counter.(Which is not the way it works). Since it now looks to be a very reasonable signing you say we didn’t need him because we have Marco Wilson in his spot. But then you qualify it with you would sign him and we could find a place for him. You have to getting dizzy because you are spinning like a top.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You started with bemoaning a strawman then made one of of your own.

Nobody is saying all those things. Just, you know, maybe don't start crying about it on the 1st day of free agency.
Not yet. We're at the part where you say that free agency hasn't started yet.

We heard this same stuff last season. It's a regular cycle of accepting failure. Why don't some fans expect more?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many do you get by signing players to deals that don't befit their level of play? Ask Steve keim, he knows well.

How would you know who or how they will replace them with? FA literally just started. This is the point.

Have these rants after FA and the draft are over. That's the sensible time to have them. Having them on March 15th is nuts.

Give me some names of guys as good or better than Zach Allen who will sign for less.

Same for Byron Murphy.

My belief is the Cards are making a guesstimate on the market that players that sign in the first few days will be overpaid and if you wait, you will get bargains. I don't believe that will be true.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

First, lol at people thinking Murphy would get paid.

Second, I still would have done the deal as I said this morning. But also maybe take the fact that this is all Murphy could get as a sign that he isn't actually very good and don't think it's the end of the world?

As I said months ago. He's a Rock Ya Sin level player and would not be surprised if we replaced him with the actual Rock Ya Sin for less money.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I don’t have an exact date man. I just know it isn’t 3/15 before FA has actually started.

To each our own. I admittedly don’t know near as much as you or MANY people on this board about the nuances of football. I’m just a fan of a team I grew up with.
Well, I gave you a bunch of options. When do you think it's appropriate for fans to evaluate the performance of the front office in building the roster?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We never wanted to resign Murphy. Injuries have left us with emotional damage the past few seasons and I don't think we will be signing players with an injury history anymore.
Better to have an average player that busts his ass all year every game than an above average player that plays for 6-7 games per season.

I see that but and I said this during the season last year I think you have to also realize that players are human and when a team coming off a big win year suddenly stinks and wins 4 games, it's not unusual to have guys sit out at the end of the season with injuries they'd play with if the team were good. Murphy didn't appear to be doing that because it was a back but I don't really know.

I don't think you then judge those guys and say well they're not tough enough because they sat out at the end of a 4 win disaster. You can't fire the coach and GM a year after you gave them extensions and then say well the players weren't tough enough.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have no idea what drafting them or developing them has anything to do with anything.

All that matters is we have good players. Once they hit their first none rookie contract and want to get paid they are no different than any other player out there looking to get paid.

You could make an argument for "They know the scheme" etc but that isn't a factor now.

If you had a choice between Zach Allen and say, Jeffrey Simmons, you would take Simmons all day and whether we drafted and developed them wouldn't enter your head.

"We drafted and developed them" is what fans say when they can't actually make a case for them being good.
No I believe they are both good players. We did something right in the draft and had a chance to extend them and didn’t. We aren’t replacing them with Jeffrey Simmons. As stated myself and I believe anyone else would be thrilled if we replace them with someone better and will admit we were wrong if they do. You can continue to say something better is coming but until it does people will comment on what ACTUALLY is happening.

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well, I gave you a bunch of options. When do you think it's appropriate for fans to evaluate the performance of the front office in building the roster?

I’ll say after final cutdowns. At that point we know where the roster and PS stand. Whether the team is competing or not, I doubt we will be. But at that point we’ll have a better idea of the roster in its entirety for the coming season, future; the coaches ability to coach (at least in the offseason), and Montis ability to create a roster we can all agree is a hellscape.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No I believe they are both good players. We did something right in the draft and had a chance to extend them and didn’t. We aren’t replacing them with Jeffrey Simmons. As stated myself and I believe anyone else would be thrilled if we replace them with someone better and will admit we were wrong if they do. You can continue to say something better is coming but until it does people will comment on what ACTUALLY is happening.

If we sign Jeffrey Simmons I'll personally start a thread titled I was wrong. You may have to wait as I'll be gone until April 17(leave this friday) but I'll do it.

Those of us that have been Cards fans our whole life understand we won't sign Jeffrey Simmons, well we will, when he's 35 and coming off major surgery

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Who are you arguing with? Who said Murphy was getting $16M? You said the way FA works is you let the player go to free agency and wait for his agent to call and then you get a chance to counter.(Which is not the way it works). Since it now looks to be a very reasonable signing you say we didn’t need him because we have Marco Wilson in his spot. But then you qualify it with you would sign him and we could find a place for him. You have to getting dizzy because you are spinning like a top.

No I didn't say that. I said agents have been discussing players and working out what they can get in free agency since February and that if Allen and Murphy weren't re-signed by Monday the odds were low they were signing back here.

There is no conflicting argument to make you spin. Both things coexists. On the one hand he is a CB2 which is why he got paid like a CB2, and we do currently have one of them. On the other, at that price you can find a role for him, even if it's mainly back in the slot and part of an outside rotation depending on the situation.

You can even make Murphy the CB2 and put the time and effort into making Wilson CB1 seeing he has the physical traits to do that job and Murphy will always be limited to CB2 by average athletic ability.

Short arms, short height, below average speed. He was never going to be a CB1. 48% of all starting CB's in the league and All CB1's have a RAS of 8+.

You must be registered for see images attach

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

If its such a chore to be a fan of the Cards for some people then why not just root for someone else? Simple as that.

Sorry some of us cannot create you a positive experience here like the Cardinals franchise is creating one for 100 years.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score

Sorry some of us cannot create you a positive experience here like the Cardinals franchise is creating one for 100 years.
Im not asking you to create anything. Im just wondering my a person would put themselves through such pain. Its obvious there are a few truly miserable people here due to the cardinals.

Why not just bail?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

We have no idea who we are replacing them with because (insert a drumroll to make the point again)...

Free agency literally just started.

What actually happens every year is the players you're not re-signing leave before the replacements join.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Im not asking you to create anything. Im just wondering my a person would put themselves through such pain. Its obvious there are a few truly miserable people here due to the cardinals.

Why not just bail?
There is no pain anymore. Just numb.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Im not sure why everyone is so down... this team WITH d-hop, Allen, and the great Byron Murphy SUCKED.

In 1-2 seasons we are going to be able to watch and develop up to 20 new players at skill positions. Something this team has needed since the 2004 draft class
Giving this org a LOT of credit here.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave