Free Agency

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Bringing in White is an easy way for the new staff to have someone on the team who knows the system...and is at least productive in it. It looks to be a straight 2 year deal that's not going to negatively impact them from continuing the rebuild next year. Beachum is a 2 year deal, but with a 1 year out. I'm guessing Prater is similar. Nothing is handcuffing the team from adding on.
White was productive with a great defensive line in front of him. He will not be as productive in AZ.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
White was productive with a great defensive line in front of him. He will not be as productive in AZ.
He has some athletic ability and likely a better football IQ than Simmons and Collins
The our former first rounds picks are not a strenght in our defense so trying to upgrade the position is not a sin

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm projecting MY OPINION. My opinion is that the Cards punting situation (and this signing) is not even top 20 in my biggest concerns. I can list them for you and you can see how stupid my opinion is if you want?
Forget it dude.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
When was the last time you were right about something like this?

When was the last time we let a decent free agent walk and they went on to great things?

It wasn't Kirk, nobody wanted to sign him for that money. Most thought he wasn't worth $10m.

I guess you would say Reddick? But Reddick didn't want to stay. They offered him more money than he took at the Panthers.
You keep bringing up a Reddick like all a club can do is offer $. No, a club has to offer money and a compelling reason for a player to stay. Scheme, coaches, feeling valued, amenities, without room with stable floors, free food . . . Etc. By your own admission it’s not just a bidding war. So if you offer more money and still lose a guy you’ve REALLY blown it.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
And by saying “just chose to go elsewhere” you mean “cardinals couldn’t close.” Not sure which is worse, sitting on the sidelines or trying and failing. Neither is grand unless you’re in the “make sure every signing is a value signing” which makes no sense to me unless your actually a bidwill.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Is it though? Would any of these signings really move the needle more than a game or two? I'm in a full rebuild mode of the roster for the next 12-24 months. You can decide at that time whether Kyler is a part of that rebuild.
I don’t get this view. You have to field 22 starters and plenty of other guys that see the field. You’re allowed to sign them for more than one season. So even if this year is a wash you do get to play these guys next year, and even the next if you sign them to a three year contract. And as I recall we have few players signed to contracts. So what good does just not signing talented players do long term for the team?

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
And by saying “just chose to go elsewhere” you mean “cardinals couldn’t close.” Not sure which is worse, sitting on the sidelines or trying and failing. Neither is grand unless you’re in the “make sure every signing is a value signing” which makes no sense to me unless your actually a bidwill.

I guess that raised floorboard in the southwest corner of the weight room did them in.

One should never underestimate the importance of little things, like a nail gun and a bit of carpet. ;)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t get this view. You have to field 22 starters and plenty of other guys that see the field. You’re allowed to sign them for more than one season.

I don't think that they want to commit themselves to the big free agent spending and years. They want shorter term contracts so they can build from the draft. It isn't like this team has an owner that can (or is willing to) shell out 100M in signing bonuses to sign these big free agents.
So even if this year is a wash you do get to play these guys next year, and even the next if you sign them to a three year contract. And as I recall we have few players signed to contracts. So what good does just not signing talented players do long term for the team?
What good did JJ Watt do for this team overall? He was a good signing in my eyes, and he was a leader among men. Yet this team and defense still had another epic collapse.

I'm not saying they should do nothing for nothing's sake. I think they want to fill the roster with C+ and B level players. Just my humble opinion.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave