Zach Allen Signs with Denver

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
For all of those saying we "let him walk," it's probably worth considering that maybe he just didn't want to be here for a long rebuild and to learn a new system.

Sure, I suppose we could have franchised him, but otherwise... not our decision to make.
“He didn’t want to be here” is a cry for help.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
“He didn’t want to be here” is a cry for help.
I'm sure we'll get more details on what happened at some point. If we find out that the Cardinals severely lowballed him, chose not to match based on some kind of arbitrary contract clause, or whatever... fine. If we tried everything we could to keep him, there's no point in being mad.

OP
OP
Dayman

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Re-signing Allen should have been automatic. He is a 25-year-old, homegrown, ascending player with phenomenal work ethic on an otherwise barren D-line. Even rebuilding teams need guys like that on the roster. The only ones that don't are teams that are cheaping out or tanking.

Cole

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Re-signing Allen should have been automatic. He is a 25-year-old, homegrown, ascending player with phenomenal work ethic on an otherwise barren D-line. Even rebuilding teams need guys like that on the roster. The only ones that don't are teams that are cheaping out or tanking.
Agree!

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I have a wait and see approach with Monti. I have zero expectations for 2023, but after that I'd love to see this team be ready to compete for the playoffs.

I fear there may be a poverty mindset, but in the same breath, I feel the majority of the board agrees with the decision to let an elite player like Hopkins leave. As another poster just mentioned, if they only have 30 mil in cap space and a ton of holes, does it make sense to give half of it to a single player in Allen?

All I know is Monti has inherited a dumpster fire of a roster and if he needs to burn it down to the ground rather than keep putting bandaids on it like Keim did, I think I may be in favor of being patient if it means more longterm success.

Would love to see this team start finally building the right way by investing heavily in the trenches.
Monti being in the Patriots organization probably thinks he can find a DL in this draft better than Allen & will indeed build this team through the draft. We're gonna find out soon enough just how good he actually is. Keim left this roster in shambles in quite a few areas & no depth, I wanted to resign Allen also but what if Monti does actually draft someone as good as Allen, or even better? 5.5 sacks............is that worth $15 million? No one is expecting anything in 2023, I have no problem with Monti building this team through the draft. Monti, Sears & Gannon have probably already looked at our entire roster top to bottom & know who is worth keeping at what price & who they have to replace in the draft.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
For all of those saying we "let him walk," it's probably worth considering that maybe he just didn't want to be here for a long rebuild and to learn a new system.

Sure, I suppose we could have franchised him, but otherwise... not our decision to make.
But that’s also failure. If you can’t convince the player this is the right place, the right teammates, the right coaching staff for him and you want him, that’s a fail.

Reaction score
Seriously getting difficult to give a crap about supporting the Cardinals organization. Downright pitiful that they didn't retain Allen. As has been stated, the club should have gotten a deal done prior to letting Allen get to free agency!

For those justifying not retaining him by thinking Allen wasn't worth the money he got, because you're focused on sack numbers don't understand what Allen's role was and how significant his play was for the team last season. He was not a rush DE, and yet his sack numbers weren't bad though. Gambo was talking about Allen being 2nd behind Aaron Donald for run stops as an interior DL (or it might have been run stops per snaps played; but something like that).

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Not too worried about losing Allen. He was injured a lot. Plus he is obviously happy to be reunited with VJ so that’s good for him

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
First, none of us have any idea what the Cards offered Allen or why he chose Denver.

We may have offered more per year but Denver offered more guarantees. $32m a year on 3 years is rich and likely more than the Cards could stomach.

Personally I would have just about paid Allen this money but have huge doubts about his ability to anchor the line. This is primo line anchor money and I'm nor sure Allen has shown he's that. I feel like he's a very good complimentary piece.

This is Calais or Dockett type money. Does anyone really see him as that?

Ultimately I don't think this is the "had to" move some make out. It's a coin flip for me. That's a lot of money for a team that's obviously rebuilding for a guy that's not certainly a premium guy.

I feel like Zach is more a Shelby Harris than a Kenny Clark. And this isn't Shelby money.

Ultimately this money is a gamble and Cards aren't in a gambling position.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Just stating that I'd like to see this team build correctly through the draft. It's been a long time since we really beefed up the O Line and D Line in the early rds of the draft. In fact, I don't think Keim spent a 1st or 2nd rd pick on those positions over the last 5 years.
Isn’t retaining your good drafted, home grown players building a team correctly through the draft?

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
10 mill/year is not a premium for a good, young on the rise DE in todays NFL.

Monti’s new mantra:
There will be no ego or good, young talented players getting a 2nd contract on this team.

Last edited: