Zach Allen Signs with Denver

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
lol. Imagine going directly to excuse-making for Michael’s second choice for the role.

We have top 10 cap space right now. The price will only go up next year. Cap space isn’t going to rush the passer in 2023.
Yeah, the excuses are so pathetic at this point. The NFL is a results business, and losing Zach Allen is a big L for Monti.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Steve Keim would have overpaid Allen and Murphy to stay since those were his guys. I just have a feeling that the "Patriot" way, aka Monti way, is going to be to build primarily through the draft.

The more I think about it the more I think we aren't hanging onto the 3rd pick. I also think Monti may feel overwhelmed with the Kyler contract he inherited so he is clearing the cap space starting now.
If this is Monti's plan, he is stupid. The Patriot Way works with Tom Brady. It has never worked elsewhere. If Monti is overwhelmed already Bidwill hired the wrong guy.

Poverty Franchise.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If the plan this year is to tank for the #1 or #2 pick, trade it for an absolute haul and build an insane team around Kyler, this place is gonna blow up.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Well I don’t like it, but I kind of understand it.

i think the plan is to get a ton of picks in this draft by trading down, like 15 or more, fix our cap situation, and hopefully coach them all up.
What do you believe the problem with our cap situation is? How is letting Zach Allen leave a solution to it?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What do you believe the problem with our cap situation is? How is letting Zach Allen leave a solution to it?
Putting 15 million into a good not great d lineman when that is half your cap space and you have a ton of holes is probably not advisable.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the plan this year is to tank for the #1 or #2 pick, trade it for an absolute haul and build an insane team around Kyler, this place is gonna blow up.

You either need to build a team around Kyler and his contract or you need to move the contract and try to win with a guy on a rookie deal.

Anything else is treading the 6-9 win treadmill

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If this is Monti's plan, he is stupid. The Patriot Way works with Tom Brady. It has never worked elsewhere. If Monti is overwhelmed already Bidwill hired the wrong guy.

Poverty Franchise.
I have a wait and see approach with Monti. I have zero expectations for 2023, but after that I'd love to see this team be ready to compete for the playoffs.

I fear there may be a poverty mindset, but in the same breath, I feel the majority of the board agrees with the decision to let an elite player like Hopkins leave. As another poster just mentioned, if they only have 30 mil in cap space and a ton of holes, does it make sense to give half of it to a single player in Allen?

All I know is Monti has inherited a dumpster fire of a roster and if he needs to burn it down to the ground rather than keep putting bandaids on it like Keim did, I think I may be in favor of being patient if it means more longterm success.

Would love to see this team start finally building the right way by investing heavily in the trenches.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Putting 15 million into a good not great d lineman when that is half your cap space and you have a ton of holes is probably not advisable.
Someone is going to have to play 5-technique next year and the year after.

What’s the cap problem letting Allen leave solve tho? They had a top 10 amount of cap space coming into the week.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I have a wait and see approach with Monti. I have zero expectations for 2023, but after that I'd love to see this team be ready to compete for the playoffs.

I fear there may be a poverty mindset, but in the same breath, I feel the majority of the board agrees with the decision to let an elite player like Hopkins leave. As another poster just mentioned, if they only have 30 mil in cap space and a ton of holes, does it make sense to give half of it to a single player in Allen?

All I know is Monti has inherited a dumpster fire of a roster and if he needs to burn it down to the ground rather than keep putting bandaids on it like Keim did, I think I may be in favor of being patient if it means more longterm success.

Would love to see this team start finally building the right way by investing heavily in the trenches.
It doesn't have to be structured that way though. They could have structured his contract in a fashion that would be a very low cap number this year, by giving a large signing bonus.

WiscoBird

Veteran
Reaction score
Well, Monti is going scorched earth with the roster. If this is the route we are going we should see what we can get for Budda Baker as well. We are going to be bad next year and Budda will be late 20's before we are seriously competing again.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
It's not like I'm happy to lose him, but I expected to, and this is roughly around where the deal became too rich for me. So, I'm fine with it. Kinda. Again, I don't expect anything from this year.

I don't really want to retain Byron Murphy if he gets a mega deal, but I'm fine with it if the price is right.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
The expected but no less unfortunate outcome. The contract from Denver would have been able to be matched by the Cardinals based on cap space. Hard to build something when you are sitting on your hands.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose