Bears Trade #1 Pick to Panthers

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Getting back to Carter for a moment, Couldn't a team simply put in his contract something about no speeding tickets, DUIs, negligent accidents, etc. If he commits any of these types of infractions, then his contract is voided or diminished considerably. Wouldn't that put teams minds at ease in regards to his future, or at least give them an out?
No one would take that risk if they were scared enough to put it in a contract.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I raised the question in another thread of whether the Cardinals should trade UP for Anderson in another thread. If the Texans call & say the Seahawks are trying to trade up, should the Cardinals give up say a 3rd to make sure they don't get jumped? But the consensus there was that even though Anderson is considered the #1 prospect in the draft and is a position of need, he was only worth the #3 pick and nothing more, the Cardinals should just wait and hope he drops to 3, and no one would complain if the Cardinals missed out on him. :shrug:
If you look at Seattle's roster, there probably is a bigger need for a DT. They have some solid edge players.

Don't listen to the draftniks...teams mostly draft for need at the top of the draft.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
He was indicted on two criminal charges??? Has something changed? It also shows a clear lack of good decision making. Not that I think it will affect his draft status like many here do.

You're right.

"Misdemeanour' charges and, yes, they indicate poor decision-making.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Did Harry really say this?

That sounds similar to saying no one would marry anyone if they felt they needed a prenup. I have heard of teams restricting players from doing sports they really enjoy and love. Makes sense to me. Some people are of the age and mindset that they simply need protection from themselves.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He was indicted on two criminal charges??? Has something changed? It also shows a clear lack of good decision making. Not that I think it will affect his draft status like many here do.

Two misdemeanor driving charges. 10% of the draft probably has misdemeanor driving charges.

What 20 year old hasn't been heavy with the gas or had a little race off the lights hitting green? Boring ones I guess.

I'd be disappointed if the Cards FO are letting minor driving offenses affect the draft stock. A bunch of our current team has them.

I imagine if Will Anderson has a racing charge we'd all be saying "It's nothing".

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Did Harry really say this?

That sounds similar to saying no one would marry anyone if they felt they needed a prenup. I have heard of teams restricting players from doing sports they really enjoy and love. Makes sense to me. Some people are of the age and mindset that they simply need protection from themselves.
Harry's point is that you don't draft Carter high and then try to sign him to a contract he won't sign. You would be wasting a draft pick. You are either good with his background or you aren't when it comes to taking him in the first round.

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
Two misdemeanor driving charges. 10% of the draft probably has misdemeanor driving charges.

What 20 year old hasn't been heavy with the gas or had a little race off the lights hitting green? Boring ones I guess.

I'd be disappointed if the Cards FO are letting minor driving offenses affect the draft stock. A bunch of our current team has them.

I imagine if Will Anderson has a racing charge we'd all be saying "It's nothing".

He was also pulled by a cop for going 90mph in a 45mph zone months before this. Most of us probably would have received a reckless driving charge going 45mph above the speed limit but he got a huge break.

It's clear his decision making behind the wheel is immature and he puts himself and others at risk.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He was also pulled by a cop for going 90mph in a 45mph zone months before this. Most of us probably would have received a reckless driving charge going 45mph above the speed limit but he got a huge break.

It's clear his decision making behind the wheel is immature and he puts himself and others at risk.

We should cut Zaven, Budda and Hollywood then. Probably should cut Hopkins too due to that video of him blowing past guys doing 70 in his Ferrari.

If we're going to be consistent.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We should cut Zaven, Budda and Hollywood then. Probably should cut Hopkins too due to that video of him blowing past guys doing 70 in his Ferrari.

Big difference cutting people you are contracted obligated with and would owe millions to and would greatly accelerate your cap and ability to field a team. As opposed to taking a chance on someone who isn’t on your team yet and isn’t even in the NFL for that matter.

That being said I’d still draft him.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Big difference cutting people you are contracted obligated with and would owe millions to and would greatly accelerate your cap and ability to field a team. As opposed to taking a chance on someone who isn’t on your team yet and isn’t even in the NFL for that matter.

That being said I’d still draft him.

Agreed, but then I'd argue if you are morally flexible enough to let it slide for the guys contracted to you then you should be flexible enough to not let it get in the way of drafting a monster DT in the top 5 that's going to cost a fraction of a free agent vet.

The only real difference between Carter and most others in the draft is Carter got caught.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Yep there is NO WAY Carter is on the Cards board in rounds 1-3 if they truly believe in their characteristics of a player they covet! No way! Nuff said, end of story imo. Ignoring his red flag off the field issues would be a major mistake. Guys here need to turn the page

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score

Ya except nobody died in those instances. I say let it paly out and then make a decision of if he is worth the gamble. I personally feel as though he will fall out of the top 10 no matter what happens between now and the draft. Two strikes in a couple of months an all.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Zaven, Budda and Hollywood did nothing similar to what Carter did. I can understand still wanting to draft Carter, but trying to downplay his situation to simple speeding genuinely makes me angry.

Zaven, Budda and Hollywood weren't going > 100 in a 35 while weaving into oncoming traffic, after leaving the strip club, on a residential street. That's what Carter was doing. I went to UGA and that street is regarded as one of the most dangerous road on campus because of how it curves. Zaven, Budda and Hollywood didn't watch their friends go flying off the road and decide to ditch them. Carter did because of wanting to save his own skin. Carter left two teammates and and two other friends injured on the side of the road. It's confirmed he saw the crash. There's no way they told him to go home either. One was dead on impact but two of them were still alive and had serious injuries. One died after reaching the hospital. He would have been the first responder if he stayed, instead he called his teammates and asked them to drive over and check on the victims.

Carter can still be a great player and yes he was in a scary high pressure situation that won't always leave people thinking straight. It's very possible this was a mistake that won't be replicated. But his situation is not close to Zaven going 70 in a 35 10:00 AM on a Sunday morning. I'd say a better comparison for Carter is Henry Ruggs.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA