Durant to Suns

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Has a player of KDs age, production, injury history ever been traded? This is a fairly unique fact set.

Hall of famers have been traded at every age, but that is my point, this is rather unprecedented. No one has given up so much for a player of that age, or a player of such questionable durability.

KG and Pierce were in the mid 30s, still playing in all-star games but didn't have the production KD does... but they were more durable, that trade ended up as one of the worst in history.

Harden was playing like an MVP when the Nets gave up their haul for him but he was 5 years younger and more durable.

Davis was nearly a decade younger and seen as the guy to carry the Lakers into the post-LeBron era.

The durability is obviously the huge issue. Yeah, KD looks like an MVP when he plays but lately he doesn't play enough to be in the MVP conversation.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thought the nets would let him go solely as salary dump was patently ridiculous (what I bolded). We know they were demanding assets.

And yes the statement that they didn’t do analysis or ignored it is an arrogant statement from anyone who as exactly zero insight what they did or didn’t do.
I even acknowledged they wouldn't take it as fair value. But IMO Kevin Durant's contract is upside down in value and just giving them relief should have been enough even though I know there is no way it would be. And I stand by that opinion. I hope to hell I'm wrong but I believe in 4 years most fans will say much the same thing. That contract, because of his age and injury risk is an albatross and was when Brooklyn made the deal.

And we all make statements and offer opinions on things here that we know little about. That's why my posts are usually littered with "I think" and "I believe" and "I suspect" and "IMO". Are you going to call all of us out for being arrogant when we make judgements about Monty's coaching even though we're all in the stands or in our living rooms or in sports bars when the game is played? We reach opinions with the information available to us, I'm doing the same thing.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel partly responsible for jinxing us. Before the Hornets game I said I hadn't felt as excited or optimistic pregame since Amar'e came back from microfracture surgery. He returned for 3 games. KD has been a Sun for 3 games.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has a player of KDs age, production, injury history ever been traded? This is a fairly unique fact set.
This. I can't think of a player who was considered a HOF player, arguable top 3 to 5 still in his prime got traded in similar circumstances post injuries. Typically, these players are never available.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Has he not played 28 straight games at any time in recent years? That’s what would be required.
He played 40 of the first 41 games of this season and the only missed game was load management on the 2nd of a back to back. He also was healthy for the last 23 games of last season to include the 4 playoff games they played. The notion that he can't string together hardly any games before getting injured just isn't true. He is just clearly more likely to get injured than many others.

clyde2tw

Veteran
Reaction score
Don't panik. This may be blessing in disguise that 1. KD can reserve more energy for playoffs and 2. it gives Monty more play time for new reserves to get used to the system and figure out how they might fit in better.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't panik. This may be blessing in disguise that 1. KD can reserve more energy for playoffs and 2. it gives Monty more play time for new reserves to get used to the system and figure out how they might fit in better.
I don't think anyone here is really panicing because of his ankle. It's bad luck but it's just an ankle and hopefully it's just a few weeks.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I even acknowledged they wouldn't take it as fair value. But IMO Kevin Durant's contract is upside down in value and just giving them relief should have been enough even though I know there is no way it would be. And I stand by that opinion. I hope to hell I'm wrong but I believe in 4 years most fans will say much the same thing. That contract, because of his age and injury risk is an albatross and was when Brooklyn made the deal.

And we all make statements and offer opinions on things here that we know little about. That's why my posts are usually littered with "I think" and "I believe" and "I suspect" and "IMO". Are you going to call all of us out for being arrogant when we make judgements about Monty's coaching even though we're all in the stands or in our living rooms or in sports bars when the game is played? We reach opinions with the information available to us, I'm doing the same thing.
I’m not going to go back and search for your words, but I commented solely because it didn’t sound like you were stating opinion it came off as a definitive statement of fact. A fact that you wouldn’t possess actual knowledge of. Hence my assessment of arrogance.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not going to go back and search for your words, but I commented solely because it didn’t sound like you were stating opinion it came off as a definitive statement of fact. A fact that you wouldn’t possess actual knowledge of. Hence my assessment of arrogance.
I'm also too unmotivated to follow the trail backwards and see what I said, but yeah, it's possible I failed to qualify my comments.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Doesn't he tape up? Really a great signing so far. Sit out a month, play three games, sit out a month. Idk. Hope he can get healthy before the season ends. SMH

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The article is behind a pay wall, but James Jones reportedly says Kevin Durant would play through left ankle sprain if it were the playoffs.

Here is a tweet from Duane Rankin at azcentral.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The article is behind a pay wall, but James Jones reportedly says Kevin Durant would play through left ankle sprain if it were the playoffs.

Here is a tweet from Duane Rankin at azcentral.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Based on this, I'd guess that it will have to be a pretty major setback if he sits out the whole 3 weeks.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based on this, I'd guess that it will have to be a pretty major setback if he sits out the whole 3 weeks.
Doesn’t matter. My call is the day of his comeback game, he separates his shoulder toweling off from the shower, @Ouchie-Z-Clown style.

We’re cursed. The sooner y’all accept that, the easier the pain will go down.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be a real hoot at cocktail parties.
Actually, I am! But being a Suns fan ain’t no cocktail party. More like a never ending funeral, with brief moments of the body coming alive, providing false hope until the body inevitably dies again. Each time in more preposterously painful ways than the last. Over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Actually, I am! But being a Suns fan ain’t no cocktail party. More like a never ending funeral, with brief moments of the body coming alive, providing false hope until the body inevitably dies again. Each time in more preposterously painful ways than the last. Over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

I realize you're, somewhat joking around, but knowing how snake bitten we are was part of my dislike of the trade.

I think the odds of winning a title are better if you can contend for a long stretch, as opposed to putting together a team with perhaps better odds, but a far shorter window.

I was hoping we'd follow the path of the 2000s Mavs. They didn't pull any wild trades, they didn't overhaul the team when they suffered playoff heartbreak (and they had several) they just kept plugging away with good rosters and eventually things came together and they had their magical title run.

Ironically... AFTER they won the title Cuban stopped being patient, blew up the team and has been swinging for the fences ever since.

But, maybe instead we will be the Raptors. They took a wild risk, broke up a relatively young team, and got a ring in a very short window.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I realize you're, somewhat joking around, but knowing how snake bitten we are was part of my dislike of the trade.
That makes more sense now that I think about it.
I think the odds of winning a title are better if you can contend for a long stretch, as opposed to putting together a team with perhaps better odds, but a far shorter window.

I was hoping we'd follow the path of the 2000s Mavs. They didn't pull any wild trades, they didn't overhaul the team when they suffered playoff heartbreak (and they had several) they just kept plugging away with good rosters and eventually things came together and they had their magical title run.

Ironically... AFTER they won the title Cuban stopped being patient, blew up the team and has been swinging for the fences ever since.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

But, maybe instead we will be the Raptors. They took a wild risk, broke up a relatively young team, and got a ring in a very short window.

No matter what happened in the playoffs last season, the Suns were close.

There is something satisfying about building your team from the ground up with the core players the Suns drafted. Mikal Bridges developed into the player you don't trade.

I'm hoping the current path is kind to the Suns. If they get and stay healthy, the opportunity is there.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn’t matter. My call is the day of his comeback game, he separates his shoulder toweling off from the shower, @Ouchie-Z-Clown style.

We’re cursed. The sooner y’all accept that, the easier the pain will go down.
I am not all doom and gloom yet because all the statements seem to indicate it's minor and they just want him back 100%. I would be lying though if I didn't say our luck beyond sucked. I think we get him back for the stretch.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose