Bears Trade #1 Pick to Panthers

reebokalone2001

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
lol why would a divisional rival help a divisional rival possibly acquire a franchise QB?
Maybe the Texans do not see any of the QBs in this year's draft have the franchise QB potential but they do see the opportunity to fleece the Colts for a king's ransom.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Maybe the Texans do not see any of the QBs in this year's draft have the franchise QB potential but they do see the opportunity to fleece the Colts for a king's ransom.
This is how you end up missing out on a QB, year after year.

As dumb as Keim is, I think his Rosen to Murray move is a pretty good one. QB is literally the most important position in sports. It's nearly impossible to win one in today's NFL without one.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
If we sign Ben Jones and re-sign Will Hernandez...that is good progress. Still need to add a young one if around.
This could be the way.
Depends on FA, but I might only want one OL in the first three rounds.
I know we talk about just drafting a bunch of rookie OL, but it's not really a feasible strategy. Target the one we want and get him, even if we have to trade up into the back of round 1 to get him. Sign an OL or two. We also have a few young guys to try out. The OL won't be perfect this year, but it will give them time to work together.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Oh is it entirely dependent on the Indy GM? If Colts believed we truly were dangling that 3rd pick or bought in to our bluff, that won't change anything? Maybe they only like 1 of the 2 remaining QB's. Or maybe Colts don't care who they get? Perhaps we can explore all the multiverses of possibilities.

So now we are circling to Monti is able to accept a trade cause there is no downside for us getting to 4. Interesting. How did we get here again?

Oh right, an opinion piece exclaiming that we should get additional picks and then draft the best defensive player because the situation is ripe for the taking.

So many words to avoid the simple question: what do you do if the Colts have no interest in moving up to #3?

And there isn't a multiverse of possibilities. There are three logical approaches available to the Cards.

1. Ignore all entities and make the selection at #3 (probably Anderson)
2. Flip picks with the Colts, and then make a section at #4 (probably Anderson)
3. Trade down (possibly with Raiders at #7 who have a QB need)*

* The downside of the trade-down is that it's likely Anderson is gone, possibly to Seattle.

Monti doesn't have to be a master of three-dimensional chess to convince the Colts that a trade-down to the Raiders is possible; it's self-evident. So... in the end, the Colts have to decide whether they are willing to pay a relatively small premium to ensure their QB choice.

Buying or calling the bluff is entirely up to the Colts.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Agree. It's really tough to draft  two rookie OL and actually block well.

I think the Cardinals almost have to draft an OL with 34. If you run through mock draft simulators, most of the good ones are gone by 66. It's not guaranteed to happen, but it definitely could.

I wish the Cardinals had a second high 2nd round pick because I'd like to see the Cardinals add a DL and the best ones are gone very early since the pool is so shallow.

Next year's draft is a lot deeper and has more blue chip talent so adding future picks should be a premium as well.
This could be the way.

I know we talk about just drafting a bunch of rookie OL, but it's not really a feasible strategy. Target the one we want and get him, even if we have to trade up into the back of round 1 to get him. Sign an OL or two. We also have a few young guys to try out. The OL won't be perfect this year, but it will give them time to work together.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Dude he'll get to block for Justin fields on runs, and... Fields actually got better throwing the ball last year but honestly i think that's the kind of Wr the Bears probably needed to get, you can't go get a D Hop or someone like that because Fields just isn't good enough throwing the ball to make it cost effective. So get a guy like Moore who's good but not "elite".

I disagree. DJ Moore is elite in my opinion.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree. DJ Moore is elite in my opinion.

Hard to say he hasn't played with a good QB and won't with the Bears. Fields is a good football player he's a remarkable runner, but he doesn't throw the ball that well. So Moore's impact will be limited by Fields.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Honestly it's such a perfect marriage between need and BPA that the only way I consider on missing out on Anderson is for a huge package of picks.

You can say this about most trade back moves though.

Trade back to 6, 7 or 9 and you can argue that Skoronski, Johnson, Carter or Gonzalez are a perfect marriage of need and BPA. We have a lot of needs.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Before Jalen and his fiasco, he was just as worthy of the 3rd round pick.

This team has WAY more needs than an elite pass rusher, so trading down should also be considered.

I'm 99% certain we trade down now. The only question is it to #4 or further.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ballard is a fairly conservative GM. It might cost him his job soon. He's a pretty darn good GM, but he has been loathe to take a major swing at QB.

Not only that though. The price for the Panthers moving up was fire higher than the Colts and the Bears were more interested in getting the most picks or players than picking 4 vs 9.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
At least one person thinks were now in the catbird seat:

So I guess it's welcome to AZ Will Anderson?

What if we could get a haul like CHI did for the #3 pick? Isn't it IND that seems pretty desperate to get into the top three?

There could be a haul from the Raiders, but doubtful from Indy. The latter would have to be convinced the Cards will trade down with the Raiders and leave Anderson on the board. I wouldn't buy it, but out of caution would offer a 4th round pick to flip and secure the spot at #3.

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You can say this about most trade back moves though.

Trade back to 6, 7 or 9 and you can argue that Skoronski, Johnson, Carter or Gonzalez are a perfect marriage of need and BPA. We have a lot of needs.
Positional value is where you lose me.

Skoronski is a good player, but if he's in next year's draft pool, he's probably the 7th best OL.

Gonzalez is good, but if the Cardinals re-sign Murphy, it's not a huge positional need like edge is.

Johnson is a straight up luxury unless DHop is traded, but again, he's significantly worse than last year's top receivers and a monumental fall off from next years crop.

Carter now has significant character issues.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The best trade back for the Cards is not with the Colts but with the Seahawks.

Geno's contract doesn't take them out of QB at all. It's really a 1 year deal. If they like one of the QBs they have to get above the Colts. If they don't take QB this year odds are they don't get near top 5 again.

And the Seahawks have a tonne of draft capital.

Round 1, Pick 5
Round 1, Pick 20
Round 2, Pick 37
Round 2, Pick 52
Round 3, Pick 83
Round 4, Pick 123
Round 5, Pick 153
Round 5, Pick 156
Round 6, Pick 198

I don't think the Colts take Will Anderson. The risk is that the Colts trade back with someone else that wants Anderson like the Falcons.

But trading back to 5 is the best mix of additional picks and a shot at Anderson.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
What I fear is that the Seahawks will become enamored with Anderson and just jump the Cardinals.

We have to hope that the Texans are really enamored with a QB. I know when you need one it's easy to fall in love with lesser guys, but if the Texans are smart, they will understand that Young is a very meh prospect at QB. I see him as a short Bridgewater.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What I fear is that the Seahawks will become enamored with Anderson and just jump the Cardinals.

We have to hope that the Texans are really enamored with a QB. I know when you need one it's easy to fall in love with lesser guys, but if the Texans are smart, they will understand that Young is a very meh prospect at QB. I see him as a short Bridgewater.
Bryce & Teddy are nothing alike except being black.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The best trade back for the Cards is not with the Colts but with the Seahawks.

Geno's contract doesn't take them out of QB at all. It's really a 1 year deal. If they like one of the QBs they have to get above the Colts. If they don't take QB this year odds are they don't get near top 5 again.

And the Seahawks have a tonne of draft capital.

Round 1, Pick 5
Round 1, Pick 20
Round 2, Pick 37
Round 2, Pick 52
Round 3, Pick 83
Round 4, Pick 123
Round 5, Pick 153
Round 5, Pick 156
Round 6, Pick 198

I don't think the Colts take Will Anderson. The risk is that the Colts trade back with someone else that wants Anderson like the Falcons.

But trading back to 5 is the best mix of additional picks and a shot at Anderson.
Until you realize Arizona & Seattle are in the same division & Monti won’t risk a divisional rival trading up for a franchise QB or cornerstone EDGE nor Seattle would want to give up extra draft capital they would for a divisional rival compared to another team.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave