DJ Humphries restructure - per Field Yates.

Cardinal88

Veteran
Reaction score
Great news for DJ!

I don’t get why so many board members want to get rid of DHop! Sure he’ll be 31 but HOF WRs can play into their mid 30’s.

DHops contract was structured to make us renegotiate. Take the $30M due to him, add it a 3 year contract of $70 with $46m guaranteed with $30m guaranteed as a bonus and Yr 1 salary is $15m guaranteed (still saves $5m in cap this year - $15m salary plus $10m bonus). Yr 2 salary is $13m ($23m hit) and Yr 3 salary is $12m ($22m hit). As his services diminish, so does his pay. Even if he misses 3-4 games each year, he is still more productive than anyone else on the roster or anyone in this draft.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Either a resigning or we are going to land one of those Philly free agents like Hargrave or Bradbury.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Great news for DJ!

I don’t get why so many board members want to get rid of DHop! Sure he’ll be 31 but HOF WRs can play into their mid 30’s.

DHops contract was structured to make us renegotiate. Take the $30M due to him, add it a 3 year contract of $70 with $46m guaranteed with $30m guaranteed as a bonus and Yr 1 salary is $15m guaranteed (still saves $5m in cap this year - $15m salary plus $10m bonus). Yr 2 salary is $13m ($23m hit) and Yr 3 salary is $12m ($22m hit). As his services diminish, so does his pay. Even if he misses 3-4 games each year, he is still more productive than anyone else on the roster or anyone in this draft.
I think most are like me. I'd rather keep him, but if he doesn't want to be in AZ, then you should trade him if you can get fair value.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
Either a resigning or we are going to land one of those Philly free agents like Hargrave or Bradbury.
im not sure we should be "making a splash" in free agency by signing older dudes... isnt Hargrave an older player?

Reaction score
Who here wouldn't have wanted Calais here for 3 more years after we let him go? I think we'll regret letting DHop move on.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who here wouldn't have wanted Calais here for 3 more years after we let him go? I think we'll regret letting DHop move on.
Calais was 29 when He left not 31 and doesn’t play a position that requires speed and cutting ability to be successful. He also
Didnt have an injury history and wasn’t one ped pop away from a year long suspension.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Calais was 29 when He left not 31 and doesn’t play a position that requires speed and cutting ability to be successful. He also
Didnt have an injury history and wasn’t one ped pop away from a year long suspension.
Didn’t they make an offer we couldn’t match? No one wanted him gone.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great news for DJ!

Perhaps you don't realize that Hopkins is already signed through 2024, with a $10.5M cap hit this year and next solely attributable to his pro-rated signing bonus. So are you saying to add three MORE years, through 2027, his age 35 year?

The numbers you describe would make sense if he were getting a brand new contract this year without any years remaining on his current contract, or any of his previous bonuses remaining to account for. Alas, that's not the case.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA