DJ Humphries restructure - per Field Yates.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This team is going to need all the cap space it can muster in the next couple years.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Exactly. We can use some of the cash available to bring in Carson Wentz also. At least I hope.

Kidding.
If people hate Kyler, but he's who the team wants long-terms, then Wentz is exactly the guy you bring in. After 4-6 weeks, you'll be begging for Murray to play and all past transgressions will be forgiven.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Incredible you have that data in March!

Blah blah, any move I don't like gets the Keim stamp! (Should see who else is using this strategy...might make you rethink)

Old? He's 31. Has been injured? Nothing serious or chronic. Suspended? Unfortunate, but probably in the past.

Again, our team has been much better with Nuk. I don't think you need to see the stats. Did you watch him last year? Did he shows signs of decline?

Dude is still a top 10 WR in football, and people are painting him as a geriatric malcontent.
Let me pose a question to you: How many years do you see Nuk being on this roster? As a follow up, do you feel any of those years will hold regret from the fan base/team because he doesn't live up to expectation/contract?

I'll offer my viewpoint on it. IF we keep him around, we have to re-structure, which means pushing a ton of money into the future. I think that would guarantee him being on the team for a minimum of three more years. I see us regretting that contract by year two or three, and by the time we realize we needed to move on from him, he will not hold trade value, nor will he sign big elsewhere in four years, so there will be negligible, if any, comp picks coming our way. It will have been a total waste of cap.

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
If people hate Kyler, but he's who the team wants long-terms, then Wentz is exactly the guy you bring in. After 4-6 weeks, you'll be begging for Murray to play and all past transgressions will be forgiven.

this is very true. Haha.

Granted, watch somehow Wentz would just play well enough that people would be arguing on this board about who should be the starter if Kyler struggles a bit when returning.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's really hard to understand...we've been a much better team with him, and the NFC is ripe for the picking.

A bold organization would seize this opportunity, restructure available money, and reload.

I feel like so much of the narrative is driven by the idea that Kyler won't be ready until mid season, which seems incredibly unrealistic to me. Would people think differently if they thought Kyler would be ready for the first game?
We feel the exact same way. I don't get it either, but I think it is what it is.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Let me pose a question to you: How many years do you see Nuk being on this roster?
Right now I see him being on the roster for 0 more seasons. :)
As a follow up, do you feel any of those years will hold regret from the fan base/team because he doesn't live up to expectation/contract?
Maybe? Is that the qualification as to whether or not you do a deal? I can see him performing on a high level for another 3 seasons, and I expect him to out-perform any Nuk replacement.
I'll offer my viewpoint on it. IF we keep him around, we have to re-structure, which means pushing a ton of money into the future. I think that would guarantee him being on the team for a minimum of three more years.
A ton? I don't see him signing any record breaking deal. I agree, we'd be tied to him for 3 years minimum.
I see us regretting that contract by year two or three, and by the time we realize we needed to move on from him, he will not hold trade value, nor will he sign big elsewhere in four years, so there will be negligible, if any, comp picks coming our way. It will have been a total waste of cap.
Maybe, if all you see him is as an asset to get more assets. As an alternative he can play for us and make us much better as he always has, and provide Kyler with a critical safety blanket.

Or we can trade and hope - I'm taking the bird in the hand on this one.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's really hard to understand...we've been a much better team with him, and the NFC is ripe for the picking.

A bold organization would seize this opportunity, restructure available money, and reload.

I feel like so much of the narrative is driven by the idea that Kyler won't be ready until mid season, which seems incredibly unrealistic to me. Would people think differently if they thought Kyler would be ready for the first game?
Many feel with all the gaps the team has, it's not possible to reload. This is a multi-year process where you have a guy that ultimately can't put you over the top. In terms of Kyler? I have seen too many of these injuries where even after a guy comes back? It still takes until the following year for a guy to look completely back to normal. I am not banking on Kyler looking like Kyler again until the following year. Hope I am wrong.

I would love to keep him but if he wants to go to a contender and we can get something good back? It's hard to not consider.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Incredible you have that data in March!

Blah blah, any move I don't like gets the Keim stamp! (Should see who else is using this strategy...might make you rethink)

Old? He's 31. Has been injured? Nothing serious or chronic. Suspended? Unfortunate, but probably in the past.

Again, our team has been much better with Nuk. I don't think you need to see the stats. Did you watch him last year? Did he shows signs of decline?

Dude is still a top 10 WR in football, and people are painting him as a geriatric malcontent.

31-33 is the age where many of the Great WRs start to decline.

Julio Jones started to decline at 31:

AJ Green started to decline at 30:

Andre Johnson started to decline at 33:

Randy Moss started to decline at 33:

Hopkins is going to want a big contract extension with lots of guaranteed money. It makes no sense to pay him if we won't be competing for at least a year. By the time the Cardinal will be competitive Hopkins will most likely be on a steady decline.

OP
OP
Solar7

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

Hopkins is going to want a big contract extension with lots of guaranteed money. It makes no sense to pay him if we won't be competing for at least a year. By the time the Cardinal will be competitive Hopkins will most likely be on a steady decline.
Nailed it. We're right on the cliff here with DHop. And unlike how long we let things go with Fitz, he's not some franchise legend. We'll remember his best work about as much as we do David Boston, or Rob Moore.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

There are lots of lists of guys that are productive in this range as well.

Again, would you say you saw any decline last year?
Hopkins is going to want a big contract extension with lots of guaranteed money.
It makes no sense to pay him if we won't be competing for at least a year.
If Kyler were healthy to start the season and we cleared cap space/filled holes, why couldn't be be competing next season.

Who are all the great teams in the NFC we should be fearing? We were a complete train wreck last year, lurching from crisis to crisis without any leadership, yet were in a position to win most of the games we were in.

I'm not saying we're great, but the NFC is historically bad! I'm not completely dismissing any chances next year before FA starts.
By the time the Cardinal will be competitive Hopkins will most likely be on a steady decline.
Pure speculation on your part. Maybe you're right, but I'm sure if we don't adequately replace Nuk there will be plenty of unhappiness.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Kyler were healthy to start the season and we cleared cap space/filled holes, why couldn't be be competing next season.

Who are all the great teams in the NFC we should be fearing? We were a complete train wreck last year, lurching from crisis to crisis without any leadership, yet were in a position to win most of the games we were in.

I'm not saying we're great, but the NFC is historically bad! I'm not completely dismissing any chances next year before FA starts.

Pure speculation on your part. Maybe you're right, but I'm sure if we don't adequately replace Nuk there will be plenty of unhappiness.

The problem is that Kyler won't be healthy to start the season. Even when Kyler comes back which I'm guessing will be somewhere in the middle of the season, he won't be himself for several months. Guys returning from repaired ACL tears don't return to form right after they return to the field. It usually takes months for them to get back to somewhat normal. Kyler is so dependant on his legs that isn't a good thing.

The Cardinals currently have a roster littered with holes. They are missing starters all over the place and have zero depth for the most part. They have a new rookie coaching staff taking over. A broken franchise QB who won't be able to practice with his team all offseason and into the regular season. There are just too many moving parts for this team to compete for a championship this coming year.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The problem is that Kyler won't be healthy to start the season.
Has anyone said this definitively? I know the reports, but we're talking about a simple ACL tear. Not typically a full year plus proposition at this point.
Guys returning from repaired ACL tears don't return to form right after they return to the field.
Most of the time, but there is no guarantee of this.
The Cardinals currently have a roster littered with holes.
Certainly not unique in the NFC.
They have a new rookie coaching staff taking over. A broken franchise QB who won't be able to practice with his team all offseason and into the regular season. There are just too many moving parts for this team to compete for a championship this coming year.
If the Bengals can't provide inspiration, I don't know what will. The Bengals had five straight losing seasons before reaching the Super Bowl in 2022. They had just six wins in the two years prior to this breakthrough season. The Bengals also had plenty to overcome when this season began, including Burrow bouncing back from major knee surgery and playing in a division that placed three teams in the postseason in 2020.

Sounds familiar, no?

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
Right now I see him being on the roster for 0 more seasons. :)

Maybe? Is that the qualification as to whether or not you do a deal? I can see him performing on a high level for another 3 seasons, and I expect him to out-perform any Nuk replacement.

A ton? I don't see him signing any record breaking deal. I agree, we'd be tied to him for 3 years minimum.

Maybe, if all you see him is as an asset to get more assets. As an alternative he can play for us and make us much better as he always has, and provide Kyler with a critical safety blanket.

Or we can trade and hope - I'm taking the bird in the hand on this one.
He.Doesn't.Want.To.Be.Here.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone said this definitively? I know the reports, but we're talking about a simple ACL tear. Not typically a full year plus proposition at this point.

Most of the time, but there is no guarantee of this.

Certainly not unique in the NFC.

If the Bengals can't provide inspiration, I don't know what will. The Bengals had five straight losing seasons before reaching the Super Bowl in 2022. They had just six wins in the two years prior to this breakthrough season. The Bengals also had plenty to overcome when this season began, including Burrow bouncing back from major knee surgery and playing in a division that placed three teams in the postseason in 2020.

Sounds familiar, no?
Burrow and Kyler are completely different types of QB, so I think the similarities aren’t as close as you make them out to be.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Burrow and Kyler are completely different types of QB, so I think the similarities aren’t as close as you make them out to be.
I'm really curious to see what Kyler can be, outside of running much of what he's done since college. I'm also shocked at the lack of experience in the coaching staff that's supposed to "fix" him.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
There are lots of lists of guys that are productive in this range as well.

Again, would you say you saw any decline last year?

Plenty of guys in that age range that should be paid top WR money? I'd say hard no.