Lamar Jackson gets non-exclusive tag - Edit, New Deal!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
It's actually him and his mom from what I've heard on NFL network. That being said, I'd rather work with Kyler Murray than Jackson. Kyler has a rocket arm that he can throw from tons of different angles. We may rip on Kyler, but his skillset can translate to different offenses better.

I mean we can put it simpler, if you could swap Lamar for Kyler would you? I'd say no way. Forget salary and everything else, I just mean a clean swap and I'd say no way in hell.

Kyler is still elite talent even if he hasn't got the rest of it figured out. Lamar is a one trick pony and his stats have decreased significantly every year. He doesn't have the arm of Kyler, he can't throw off different platforms the way Kyler can. And he's also hurt more than Kyler.
I wouldn't want either one of them, to be honest. I don't think either will ever lead teams to a Super Bowl.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It's actually him and his mom from what I've heard on NFL network. That being said, I'd rather work with Kyler Murray than Jackson. Kyler has a rocket arm that he can throw from tons of different angles. We may rip on Kyler, but his skillset can translate to different offenses better.

I mean we can put it simpler, if you could swap Lamar for Kyler would you? I'd say no way. Forget salary and everything else, I just mean a clean swap and I'd say no way in hell.

Kyler is still elite talent even if he hasn't got the rest of it figured out. Lamar is a one trick pony and his stats have decreased significantly every year. He doesn't have the arm of Kyler, he can't throw off different platforms the way Kyler can. And he's also hurt more than Kyler.
Pure homerism. Lamar Jackson won an MVP.

But throwing off a variety of platforms is more important I guess.

HomerPimpson

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

3 years ago he won an MVP. So what. Every single stat since then has decreased significantly.

And yeah dude throwing off a variety of platforms is super important in the NFL. SUPER important.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I wouldn't even say Kyler can throw off platform or from "lots of different angles". Extremely rare to see him do it to the point I can't even remember one.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
3 years ago he won an MVP. So what. Every single stat since then has decreased significantly.

And yeah dude throwing off a variety of platforms is super important in the NFL. SUPER important.
The only QB I can think of that throws off a variety of different platforms consistently is Mahomes. Matter of fact, Mahomes is the only QB I can think of in the history of the NFL that consistently throws off different platforms with success and why before him different platforms were frowned upon. There are no QB gurus teaching players to throw off of 'different' platforms but from the right stance and platform. I am not talking about a few odd throws for the highlight reel but something the QB does game and game out. That is why a QB setting their feet right and throwing with perfect form in the traditional style is what defines a great QB. Joe Montana and Tom Brady are not noted for throwing from unorthodox platforms and that is what is meant really by a 'variety' of platforms, they are the ideal because they showed perfect form from a traditional platform. Mahomes is the anomaly and what makes him super special

HomerPimpson

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The only QB I can think of that throws off a variety of different platforms consistently is Mahomes. Matter of fact, Mahomes is the only QB I can think of in the history of the NFL that consistently throws off different platforms with success and why before him different platforms were frowned upon. There are no QB gurus teaching players to throw off of 'different' platforms but from the right stance and platform. I am not talking about a few odd throws for the highlight reel but something the QB does game and game out. That is why a QB setting their feet right and throwing with perfect form in the traditional style is what defines a great QB. Joe Montana and Tom Brady are not noted for throwing from unorthodox platforms and that is what is meant really by a 'variety' of platforms, they are the ideal because they showed perfect form from a traditional platform. Mahomes is the anomaly and what makes him super special
Mahomes is the best QB I've ever seen play football, and I'm 54 and watching forever. I mean Marino, Dan Fouts, Brady and Montana. And Montana is my favorite QB. But I've never ever seen anyone throw from different sets and platforms than Mahomes. I've watched a lot of football and I always bitch about the rules making it easier, blah blah, but I've never in my life seen a QB like Mahomes throw off different areas. Prime example is one of the playoff games (may have even been the SB) where he was running to his right and stopped and threw a TD to Kelce. That throw is so hard, it's not designed, he just saw him (Kelce) and to stop and pivot your hips and throw with velocity, that is so hard to do, it's an impossible throw.

HomerPimpson

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I wouldn't even say Kyler can throw off platform or from "lots of different angles". Extremely rare to see him do it to the point I can't even remember one.
Really? Dude our offensive line is trash, every throw was him without feet set, unable to swivel his hips. Like every single pass. Every throw was off platform and different angles.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Really? Dude our offensive line is trash, every throw was him without feet set, unable to swivel his hips. Like every single pass. Every throw was off platform and different angles.

Come on man this is nonsense.

Throwing with bad mechanics is not throwing "from tons of different angles".

Remind me of one where Kyler throws sidearm or something.

HomerPimpson

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Come on man this is nonsense.

Throwing with bad mechanics is not throwing "from tons of different angles".

Remind me of one where Kyler throws sidearm or something.
So throwing sidearm is an indication of throwing from different platforms and angles? Who can do that besides Mahomes?

(Edit: I should add, I just think you're being difficult for whatever reason. You know enough about football to know what I'm talking about, but you seem to want to either bait me or you're being abtuse and ridiculous).

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So throwing sidearm is an indication of throwing from different platforms and angles? Who can do that besides Mahomes?

(Edit: I should add, I just think you're being difficult for whatever reason. You know enough about football to know what I'm talking about, but you seem to want to either bait me or you're being abtuse and ridiculous).

Being able to "throw from tonnes of different angles" to me means he's throwing sidearms, back across his body etc. Doing some non standard stuff.

I really have no recollection of him doing that. He very, very rarely even throws on the move.

His modus operandi for 4 years has very much been Shotgun snap, 1....2....pat the ball....3....throw.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Being able to "throw from tonnes of different angles" to me means he's throwing sidearms, back across his body etc. Doing some non standard stuff.

I really have no recollection of him doing that. He very, very rarely even throws on the move.

His modus operandi for 4 years has very much been Shotgun snap, 1....2....pat the ball....3....throw.
Well, it's a very select few, but the 'Hail Murray' was exactly that... there have been more and a lot more early on, but it has become less successful, and the guy is having problems now just throwing from a normal platform consistently with proper form

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, it's a very select few, but the 'Hail Murray' was exactly that... there have been more and a lot more early on, but it has become less successful, and the guy is having problems now just throwing from a normal platform consistently with proper form

Yep that was one I guess. It's certainly not something common, never even seen a "no look" pass from him and even Stafford whips that out now and again.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Yep that was one I guess. It's certainly not something common, never even seen a "no look" pass from him and even Stafford whips that out now and again.
There were a few and frequent enough early on but that sort of all got buried with his play of late. It's not like you or me want to see him making 'no look' passes (I did see a few to Connor I believe which verged more on desperation hot potato) anyways lol

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There were a few and frequent enough early on but that sort of all got buried with his play of late. It's not like you or me want to see him making 'no look' passes (I did see a few to Connor I believe which verged more on desperation hot potato) anyways lol

There are lots of things to compliment Kyler on. His deep passing (before last year), his ability to escape pressure, his running etc but in my opinion is ability to throw unusual passes or off platform isn't one of them. He's no different from any QB in that area.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was an effective pocket passer in a pro-style offense in college.
He may have been in a pro-style offense, but how do you figure he was a "pocket passer"?! In three years he had 619 pass completions and a 57% completion percentage (slightly better than Anthony Richardson) vs. an insane 655 rushes for 4132 yards and 50 TDs!!!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
He may have been in a pro-style offense, but how do you figure he was a "pocket passer"?! In three years he had 619 pass completions and a 57% completion percentage (slightly better than Anthony Richardson) vs. an insane 655 rushes for 4132 yards and 50 TDs!!!
Why agree you comparing completions to rushing attempts?

Kyler Murray Pass ATT, OU, Jr: 377
Lamar Jackson Pass ATT, LOU, Jr: 430

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Doesn’t sound crazy to me. A team would have to let go of 2 firsts on top of giving an astronomical fully guaranteed contract that he is demanding. For a guy that can’t stay healthy and whose PO appearances leave little to be desired.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Doesn’t sound crazy to me. A team would have to let go of 2 firsts on top of giving an astronomical fully guaranteed contract that he is demanding. For a guy that can’t stay healthy and whose PO appearances leave little to be desired.

It's not just that though. Ravens will probably match what any team is offering, so x, y, z team will be doing the negotiations for them (they have their own team to focus on, so why waste their own time?). Also, if they have an offer sheet, that money is locked until the Ravens match(or not) and then intentionally screw themselves over for something they probably won't even get because point 1.

Not to mention the difficulty of the guaranteed money issue, or teams not willing to give up a first this year (but once draft and/or FA is over, there should be interest).

I'm sure many would want Lamar, but the logistics don't make sense for ANY team, no matter what, until after the draft, or at minimum the bulk of FA is over. Doesn't matter if it was the reincarnation of Tom Brady/Peyton Manning in his prime.

Last edited:

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Stafford.

BIM: obtuse.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Kyler of late has lack consistency throwing the ball but has shown to have made throws that Lamar Jackson can only dream of making in his sleep. Those are facts. Will Kyler ever get back to that? Who knows, and it depends on Gannon/OC/QBC and most importantly KM himself. Lamar seems a great guy and has great football character. I do not fault him with all the agent crap and the less than ethical behavior of some of these guys for their own profit, but it then shows the other side of the big business which is the NFL, which will then take advantage of a lack of professional direction, though in the end all that matters is you win and then you will get paid by the higher up vultures no matter your profession. Lamar has reached his ceiling as a passer in my opinion and unfortunately his electric running ability may never be the same because regardless of your size you cannot survive as a running QB and Lamar ran with reckless abandon sacrificing his body for a win

I would certainly want Kyler over Lamar in the sea of uncertainty they both are submerged in for the long run, but I do think Lamar has two more years of possibly being a spark as a decent thrower and QB with elite running back ability to garner a shot at a title... just hope that does not come at our expense with the Niners or Rams