Today’s Rumor: Texas is Serious About Signing Garoppolo

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
The Cards’ fans dreams of signing Anderson may be evaporating. Apparently Ryans is a big fan of Garoppolo. This seems like a surpring event as one would assume Garoppolo would prefer to go to a playoff contender. However, the Jets have shown no interest. The Pats may have a spot, but few contenders are chasing QBs. It also would seem better strategy cap-wise for Texas to draft a QB, as Texas figures to be a couple of years from that status. However, new HCs seem to always seek quick improvement and Garoppolo would offer that. It is possible the Texans would pass on Anderson and trade down to a QB chasing team. However, they could use an impact Edge that would move their defensive credibility forward.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
The Cards’ fans dreams of signing Anderson may be evaporating. Apparently Ryans is a big fan of Garoppolo. This seems like a surpring event as one would assume Garoppolo would prefer to go to a playoff contender. However, the Jets have shown no interest. The Pats may have a spot, but few contenders are chasing QBs. It also would seem better strategy cap-wise for Texas to draft a QB, as Texas figures to be a couple of years from that status. However, new HCs seem to always seek quick improvement and Garoppolo would offer that. It is possible the Texans would pass on Anderson and trade down to a QB chasing team. However, they could use an impact Edge that would move their defensive credibility forward.
I think it means getting Anderson is more of a sure thing, if they stay put. If Bears trade #1, it will be to a team who wants a QB...same with Texans, if they sing Jimmy G...however, I've heard Texans may sign Jimmy G to a short contract and still draft a QB, lke Richardson and let him sit...and they may be able to trade back to do that. Cards may be able to get Anderson at #3, but may lose some QB leverage, if they try to trade back.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

This also doesn't preclude drafting their QBOF.

The terms of a Garoppolo contract could tell the tale.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Said this would happen months ago. All depends on the contract though. I don't think drafting a guy is off the table.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Yea with the DT Carter not a part of the top 3 it’s hard for me to see Anderson making it to us. But I can dream

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
This also doesn't preclude drafting their QBOF.

The terms of a Garoppolo contract could tell the tale.
I think Garoppolo would want 3 years guaranteed. That would cut the legs out from under the cap saving of going with a young QB. I just don’t see the taking a QB after signing an FA. Makes more sense to just take your QB. That level of QB will expect to start in year 2 if not year 1.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well now the best case scenario that I doubt the dark suits would swallow is Carter is NOT a felon and
misdemeanor is the charge. As I said I don't believe this group can swallow this, hey the team already has
a speed demon on the roster who may have been cured!

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Texans becoming a preferable trade up option would be bad for us.

Hoping McDaniel and the Raiders get involved.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Garoppolo would want 3 years guaranteed. That would cut the legs out from under the cap saving of going with a young QB. I just don’t see the taking a QB after signing an FA. Makes more sense to just take your QB. That level of QB will expect to start in year 2 if not year 1.
Not really. The Texans have $45 million in cap space after their rookie pool and that's with Laremy Tunsil counting almost $40 million against the cap in the final year of his deal. They can cut that in half with an extension and add even more with a Brandon Cook rework. The Texans could easily have $70 million in cap space and front load a Jimmy deal that pays him and makes him cuttable after year 1, just like the Geno Smith deal.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Well now the best case scenario that I doubt the dark suits would swallow is Carter is NOT a felon and
misdemeanor is the charge. As I said I don't believe this group can swallow this, hey the team already has
a speed demon on the roster who may have been cured!
Felony or misdemeanor has nothing to do with overall character. It's the entire situation. Keep in mind, too, that his arraignment isn't until 3 days before the draft, I think. Charges can always be amended, upgraded or dropped before then. Regardless I think the Cards are just one of several teams that wouldn't draft him now.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Felony or misdemeanor has nothing to do with overall character. It's the entire situation. Keep in mind, too, that his arraignment isn't until 3 days before the draft, I think. Charges can always be amended, upgraded or dropped before then. Regardless I think the Cards are just one of several teams that wouldn't draft him now.
I don't think they will or should, but if he drops to 34, you have to think about it, right? Or is Nkemdiche still too much in our memory?

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
You lost me on that one, because I do not see how a team might think Jimmy G is the quality QB they lack to be a playoff contender... maybe a great backup for a playoff contender :)

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
You lost me on that one, because I do not see how a team might think Jimmy G is the quality QB they lack to be a playoff contender... maybe a great backup for a playoff contender :)
Apparently Ryans thinks he can play and mentor. Garoppolo is running out of options and may be a bargain. Not to mention a new coach wants to at least win a few. There’s a better chance of that with a vet vs a rookie.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose