Rumors Confirming Suspicion (Bears Trading Down Possibly More Than Once)

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Several weeks ago I speculated the Bears would trade down more than once. Now that rumor is all over the place. I can even see them trading down three times in round 1. It would go like this. They first trade with the Texans, then Indy and then one more time with a QB needy team. Now the Bears dominate the draft. The plan might be setback if the Cards trade down out of the 3 spot.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I could see the double trade down with Houston and Indy, then if Cards trade out of 3 for another QB needy team then Bears take Anderson at 4, and if Cards take Anderson at 3 then the Bears try to trade out at 4 again (ATL/CAR being the obvious trade partners at this point). I think one of these two is the more likely scenario than the Bears staying in the top 2.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think the Carter situation was a gift to them. They may be able to get him and a boatload of picks if the trade down to just the right spot. I hope ARZ doesn't pass on Anderson, I understand you may be able to get more picks but Anderson looks like the next great NFL pass rusher. You can always trade down in Round 2 or later.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the Carter situation was a gift to them. They may be able to get him and a boatload of picks if the trade down to just the right spot. I hope ARZ doesn't pass on Anderson, I understand you may be able to get more picks but Anderson looks like the next great NFL pass rusher. You can always trade down in Round 2 or later.
U don't get much trading down in round 2 btw

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I believe even more of an ideal situation is we trade back, pick up a couple extra high picks, and then pick Carter for our DT. Let's be honest, half of us wanted him as much or more as Anderson a week or so ago.

I still believe that in a few weeks the accident and legal situation will have disappeared for the most part. He is still the same player he was, and there are so many still in the NFL that did a lot more ethically and morally inexcusable things than he did.

A year or two ago I would have been against having any of these less than mature players on the team, but I guess I have sort of thrown my hands in the air and come to the resolution that they will continue to be treated differently. Maybe due to their age, and their brain not being mature and fully developed yet, I should stop expecting as much as I have from them. If the NFL lets them in and we are going to have to play against them, we might as well get our share in order to compete equally.

So if there is a way we can have our cake and eat it too, why not? I am tired of seeing the Steelers, Pats, and Cowboys of the league continue to win any way they can.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah the rumor out there now is they are trying to get the Colts to trade up to 1 so nobody leapfrogs them for their QB choice. and then at 2 will try and trade down again to someone who presumably wants a QB. The scary thing for us is if someone moves up for Anderson.

I almost think the Bears are locking in on Carter and realizing he's going to slide so they can try and gain extra picks, move down and take him say at 8 something like that

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Yeah the rumor out there now is they are trying to get the Colts to trade up to 1 so nobody leapfrogs them for their QB choice. and then at 2 will try and trade down again to someone who presumably wants a QB. The scary thing for us is if someone moves up for Anderson.

I almost think the Bears are locking in on Carter and realizing he's going to slide so they can try and gain extra picks, move down and take him say at 8 something like that
Did you mean Texans?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you mean Texans?
No the one I read last night was Colts. They are afraid that the QB they want will go in the top 3 so they want to get up to 1 and get that QB. There's also rumors they're going to sign Jimmy G so who knows but it sounds like they want to move up to get their QB.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Texans would be fools to trade up to #1. They are guaranteed a QB and their preferable QB could slide to them anyway. They need all the draft capital they can get.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
U don't get much trading down in round 2 btw
We pick 3rd in second round so its basically a late first round area where teams may want to move and take a guy who slipped out of first round.

I believe even more of an ideal situation is we trade back, pick up a couple extra high picks, and then pick Carter for our DT. Let's be honest, half of us wanted him as much or more as Anderson a week or so ago.

I still believe that in a few weeks the accident and legal situation will have disappeared for the most part. He is still the same player he was, and there are so many still in the NFL that did a lot more ethically and morally inexcusable things than he did.

A year or two ago I would have been against having any of these less than mature players on the team, but I guess I have sort of thrown my hands in the air and come to the resolution that they will continue to be treated differently. Maybe due to their age, and their brain not being mature and fully developed yet, I should stop expecting as much as I have from them. If the NFL lets them in and we are going to have to play against them, we might as well get our share in order to compete equally.

So if there is a way we can have our cake and eat it too, why not? I am tired of seeing the Steelers, Pats, and Cowboys of the league continue to win any way they can.
I feel an elite pass rusher has more value at #3 than a penetrating DT. If ARZ can land Javon Hargrave then I would definitely be cool with that.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Texans would be fools to trade up to #1. They are guaranteed a QB and their preferable QB could slide to them anyway. They need all the draft capital they can get.
When it comes to tying your franchises future to one guy, I don't thin kit is foolish to make sure you get the one you want.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
When it comes to tying your franchises future to one guy, I don't thin kit is foolish to make sure you get the one you want.

Sure. But there isn't that standout guy this year. Their roster is thin af. They let first pick slip their their fingers. They need the picks.

It's a poverty franchise move, like the Bears did for Mitch. Sure, they could have gotten Mahomes, but they picked poorly and lost a ton of picks.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Sure. But there isn't that standout guy this year. Their roster is thin af. They let first pick slip their their fingers. They need the picks.

It's a poverty franchise move, like the Bears did for Mitch. Sure, they could have gotten Mahomes, but they picked poorly and lost a ton of picks.
In your opinion there isn't.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Somehow doubt that Carter gets past Seattle.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We pick 3rd in second round so its basically a late first round area where teams may want to move and take a guy who slipped out of first round.

I feel an elite pass rusher has more value at #3 than a penetrating DT. If ARZ can land Javon Hargrave then I would definitely be cool with that.

Save money and re-sign Allen.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave