2022-23 Around the NBA Thread

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome to see him coming into his own.
He was already coming into his own and had been showing it for several weeks before the trade but I think his legend is now outpacing his game. That's not on him though, he's just a very likable player (even with the annoying 3 point gesture to the sidelines) who gives 100% and plays every night.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mikal's view of himself has changed. I do wonder what this team would look like if Mikal stepped into the #2 guy role ahead of CP3. He was on the verge of doing that.

Not that I regret the trade, but Mikal would have continued to improve here too.

ProdigalSun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Mikal's view of himself has changed. I do wonder what this team would look like if Mikal stepped into the #2 guy role ahead of CP3. He was on the verge of doing that.

Not that I regret the trade, but Mikal would have continued to improve here too.

I don’t know if you can truly contend with a guy like Bridges as a #2. He’s a nice likable guy, great teammate, and great 2 way player who is improving his offensive game. He just doesn’t strike me as an “alpha killer” aka “The Guy” that just has ice in his veins and unafraid to take that crucial high stakes game winning shot. We now have 2 of the best in the NBA in Book and KD

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Memphis with a chance to give the Clips a 6th loss in a row...choke a 15pt lead here in the 4th. Cmon man

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Memphis with a chance to give the Clips a 6th loss in a row...choke a 15pt lead here in the 4th. Cmon man

This was an odd game to watch. The 2 teams are taking turns forgetting how to play basketball.

That turnover by JJJ was baaaaaaaaaaad.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mikal Bridges had already come into his own in Phoenix.
So much so that he completely disappeared in the playoffs and as he came into his own, he led us to a sterling 5-17 record. Throw in his team’s play with the Nets 3-5 and that Sterling record jumps to unbelievably impressing 8-22.

Look, the dude is balling right now but it’s a hell of a lot easier with zero expectations and heavy usage than playing under pressure where we routinely saw him completely meltdown during ends of game as recently as this year and in back to back playoffs.

AND, I place some blame on Bridges not showing more here on Monty’s dogmatic adherence to his CP3/Booker offense and never adjusted for what else Bridges could do.

And all that being said, I’d make the trade 10 times out of 10. Teams don’t win without a unicorn leading the way. We did NOT have that with Booker. He’s the perfect #2 and we can finally kill teams that way with KD closing.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Just a few years ago a player would get absolutely reamed for pulling this.

I guess triple doubles have become so ubiquitous that no one really cares.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

I recall someone doing this a few years back and they decided not to count it as a rebound.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I recall someone doing this a few years back and they decided not to count it as a rebound.

I remember someone doing it too, but I think they did it on the opposing team's basket, so it didn't count as a shot either. It was some idiot, I wanna say Lance Stephenson but I'm not finding it.

EDIT, lol, it was right there in the comments of my link. Ricky Davis.

I might be giving Giannis too much credit, but I wonder if he did this as a joke because of all the "Jokic stat padding" stuff that has been out there the last few days.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score

Yeah, that's pretty lame. But I also think triple doubles are kind of like saves in baseball - one of the most overrated stats out there. Particularly given how easily assists are credited these days.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I remember someone doing it too, but I think they did it on the opposing team's basket, so it didn't count as a shot either. It was some idiot, I wanna say Lance Stephenson but I'm not finding it.

EDIT, lol, it was right there in the comments of my link. Ricky Davis.

I might be giving Giannis too much credit, but I wonder if he did this as a joke because of all the "Jokic stat padding" stuff that has been out there the last few days.
Ricky Davis did it against the Jazz and Jerry Sloan's reaction was priceless. Bobby Sura also did it and was the player the NBA removed the rebound from.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So much so that he completely disappeared in the playoffs and as he came into his own, he led us to a sterling 5-17 record. Throw in his team’s play with the Nets 3-5 and that Sterling record jumps to unbelievably impressing 8-22.

Look, the dude is balling right now but it’s a hell of a lot easier with zero expectations and heavy usage than playing under pressure where we routinely saw him completely meltdown during ends of game as recently as this year and in back to back playoffs.

AND, I place some blame on Bridges not showing more here on Monty’s dogmatic adherence to his CP3/Booker offense and never adjusted for what else Bridges could do.

And all that being said, I’d make the trade 10 times out of 10. Teams don’t win without a unicorn leading the way. We did NOT have that with Booker. He’s the perfect #2 and we can finally kill teams that way with KD closing.
You think he has ZERO expectation coming the other way in a Durant trade? I don't. Sure, they don't expect Bridges to replace one of the greatest players of all time but they sure as hell expect him to lay the foundation for a future team.
He is also balling because his role has changed. He isn't playing "clean up" guy on a team with Booker, Ayton and Paul. His role on the Nets is completely different. Saying he is playing like this just because he has no expectations is selling him short. Monty either didn't know what he had in Bridges or simply didn't think he could prioritize Bridges over the other 3.

I agree with the last part. I still make this trade 10 out of 10 times.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Scott Foster at it again,

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Really crappy ending to a well fought basketball game. Toronto led most of the 2nd half but couldn’t close. Denver has the best defensive rating in clutch time. Do they have an elite defense…no. But they’re very sound in what they do and although Jokic isn’t the most agile, he’s always swiping at the ball and comes up with deflections to disrupt teams offensively.

Murray is a really good closer. He can make almost any shot. His stats are eerily similar to CJ McCollum from his Portland days, that’s why he’s not an all-star. MPJ can shoot it and is growing in confidence.

Denver is tough to beat at altitude and are 30-4 on the season at home. They’ve lost those 4 games by a total of 8 points. Will be curious how we matchup with KD now against them….each team’s bench is good but not great. Going to come down to ancillary pieces in who wins a game/series against them.

Jokic is incredibly unique. Almost had a triple double (missed it by 1 assist) but never forced anything the entire night.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score

The NBA officially retracted his triple double.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose