Ian Rapoport Dhop trade likely happening in the next ten days

LA Redbird

All Star
Reaction score
Next sentence says we need to replace the studs. You're right--you're just not understanding, but that's a you thing ;)

This roster is cooked. It won't be ready to challenge for the playoffs this year, or even close to it. By the time it is, we'll either ready to be rid of DHop or will be wearing his shiny new contract as a millstone around our salary cap. It is eminently short sighted to grasp at straws and clutch an old WR close because he's still good when he's not going to make a damn bit of difference in whether or not we make the playoffs. Then, by the time a top WR would be able to make a difference, he won't be that guy any longer. Lose-lose.

I'm tired of the team being shortsighted. I want the FO to take the long view and successfully build a roster. Otherwise, why'd we bother getting rid of Keim? Extending Dhop and getting nothing for him later while still not winning is prime time Keim time.

All of this.

And this is exactly why I would not have cared if we had given HC to VJ for a couple years then we'd be able I hire a premier coach then with a rebuilt roster.

To say Keim screwed us is a major understatement.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
The tricky part with Brown to me is that I don't believe we should re-sign him. I don't believe he is worth the contract he wants. Turned out to be a bad trade and if I can get something back better than a 3rd rounder, might as well do it.
The problem is that this draft severely lacks top end talent. In some years, there are 40 players with 1st round grades, but this year it's about 20.

I'd keep Brown for one more year. If he has a great year, resign him. If he is average for his career, let him walk for the compensatory pick.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The problem is that this draft severely lacks top end talent. In some years, there are 40 players with 1st round grades, but this year it's about 20.

I'd keep Brown for one more year. If he has a great year, resign him. If he is average for his career, let him walk for the compensatory pick.

SPOTRAC Market Value
  • 3 yrs, $49,915,569
  • Avg. Salary: $16,638,523
  • NFL Rank: 87
  • WR Rank: 21

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see our ceiling as 6 wins, unless Kyler is back healthy all year long (he won't be) and he's fixed all his problems (which I doubt). Keim and co have simply left us in an awful position, and with the QB injury to boot, we're in bad shape.
Your opinion is probably closer to reality than mine.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Personally, I am not super concerned with it. Darius Slayton, Allen Lazard and Greg Dortch could work for a year. My entire goal for this season would be to get out of bad contracts, get off of players that don't fit, and add talent where I can. If I can trade guys that don't fit for assets, let's go. If I can trade for valuable assets, I am good with that as well.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The tricky part with Brown to me is that I don't believe we should re-sign him. I don't believe he is worth the contract he wants. Turned out to be a bad trade and if I can get something back better than a 3rd rounder, might as well do it.
Blecch. I don’t want to watch an Arizona Cardinals team that puts this trash on offer for 17 weeks and pushes exciting defensive football (maybe soon) with no playmakers on that side of the ball either.

You have to field a team. I want something fun to watch.
The other issue with the compensatory pick route is you end up with nothing if you sign good players.
Yes. What’s the point of clearing 2024 cap space if you’re going to handcuff yourself chasing comp picks?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lots of Chandler Jones syndrome going on here.

I was saying from 2020 we should have traded him and recouped some capital while he still had value. We should have traded him at the end of the 2020 season and we could have got at least a 2nd and 5th for him considering he had a pretty friendly contract.

I have the exact same feeling about Hopkins. He's still a very good player but his value isn't getting higher and we don't have the roster or the situation with Kyler's injury to take advantage of what he has left. The money a trading team gets him for is friendly and if we are going to swallow the dead money next year is the time to do it.

Why keep him for potentially one year of premium usage in 2024 when he will be 32?

I don't even mind trading him for a future 1st. If the options are a current 2nd or a 2024 1st take the 2024 1st.

Last edited:

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Lots of Chandler Jones syndrome going on here.

I was saying from 2020 we should have traded him and recouped some capital while he still had value. We should have traded him at the end of the 2020 season and we could have got at least a 2nd and 5th for him considering he had a pretty friendly contract.

I have the exact same feeling about Hopkins. He's still a very good player but his value isn't getting higher and we don't have the roster or the situation with Kyler's injury to take advantage of what he has left. The money a trading team gets him for is friendly and if we are going to swallow the dead money next year is the time to do it.

Why keep him for potentially one year of premium usage in 2024 when he will be 32?

I don't even mind trading him for a future 1st. If the options are a current 2nd or a 2024 1st take the 2024 1st.

Don't you mean 'this' upcoming league year? - 2023.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Well, there's a difference between a $22m 'dead' money hit in 2023 and a post-June-1 designated cut that splits the 'dead' money and affects our available Cap in this upcoming Free Agency period, etc.

Clarity and not picky in the least. A bit of a surprising comment from you.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, there's a difference between a $22m 'dead' money hit in 2023 and a post-June-1 designated cut that splits the 'dead' money and affects our available Cap in this upcoming Free Agency period, etc.

Clarity and not picky in the least. A bit of a surprising comment from you.

Twas a joke. And yes I did mean this year.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
when it truly is the RIGHT time to trade a good player when their value is high---it always hurts the most.

But in the end its the right thing to do. Chandler is a perfect example.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bottom line is I don’t want ANY player that doesn’t want to be here. Obviously money is not enough to make some players happy.
We lost with him and maybe we will continue to live without him but at least we have a shot at getting a quality young player in return.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Kupp's 2021 season is stuff of legends but I guess I'd like to see him have one more season with over 1200 yards. Just a little more consistency.

Adams is awesome. I just really value Hopkins hands and catch radius. So many times I've watched Kyler make a stupid throw into double coverage, but it didn't matter because Hopkins was there.
I think if you were analyzing for their careers your position would make sense but at this point going forward I don’t think a single personnel guy in the nfl would agree with you.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Blecch. I don’t want to watch an Arizona Cardinals team that puts this trash on offer for 17 weeks and pushes exciting defensive football (maybe soon) with no playmakers on that side of the ball either.

You have to field a team. I want something fun to watch.

Yes. What’s the point of clearing 2024 cap space if you’re going to handcuff yourself chasing comp picks?
I get wanting something fun to watch but that is a different focus. Being the Lions for a year can be a good thing. Like I said, I don't see a reason to pay Marquise Brown long term, I don't want to avoid signing premium FAs in 2024 to help my comp pick formula, and that leaves trading him as the best option IMO if we want any compensation for him.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I get wanting something fun to watch but that is a different focus. Being the Lions for a year can be a good thing. Like I said, I don't see a reason to pay Marquise Brown long term, I don't want to avoid signing premium FAs in 2024 to help my comp pick formula, and that leaves trading him as the best option IMO if we want any compensation for him.
Yeah. I get it. It's just hard to imagine a season with no Deandre Hopkins and no Hollywood Brown being much fun to watch.

Real "Jason McAddley is gonna break out!" energy.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Yeah. I get it. It's just hard to imagine a season with no Deandre Hopkins and no Hollywood Brown being much fun to watch.

Real "Jason McAddley is gonna break out!" energy.
Kevin Kasper and Bryan Gilmore are nodding.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man talk about potential never realized. It seems we had so much potential one time with a DHOP Kyler matching.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson