I Guess You Wouldn’t Call It a Rumor

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Today’s The Athletic is speculating about whether Richardson could go number 1 in the draft. Wow! I’ve been slamming the idea that he would even go third if the Cards were to trade down. I’m left with one stunning thought if that happens. The power of The Combine is out of control. Being based here in Florida I’ve seen every game he’s played. I’ve written on this forum that he has tremendous upside. However, as in most cases that means he hasn’t done it yet. Florida had a mediocre year. He has made some tremendous plays, but in the end he’s partly responsible for that mediocrity. From ill-advised throws to simply inaccurate throws, his passing issues cost them games.

Even in the Combine his passing inaccuracy was apparent. He left no question he is easily the best athlete of the group. At this point he is not the best QB or even close. His ball placement is weak, his judgment of when to throw into coverage is questionable and his occasional happy feet makes him concerning. If that sounds like someone you know, he’s like a bigger version of that guy with a weaker college career. His tenure at Florida also makes one worry about his coachability. He didn’t grow his QB skill as much as I would have expected.

So, if he goes even top 5, that is not based on his college performance. It’s based on his athleticism. History says that’s a risky basis for selection. The number of failed great QB athletes is long. There’s a few struggling ones in the league right now. Trey Lance being the example that comes to mind. He was not a dominant college QB. He may still work out, but clearly he was taken based on athletic prowess.

I’m not saying Richardson won’t go top 5. I do know QB desperate teams make reaches. I just think history says it‘s a bad position to reach to get. Nonetheless, if the Lions wanted to offer 2 number ones to get him, I’d take that deal.

Billy Bob

Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
Here is Richardson going #1 to Carolina!

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Carr is signing with the Saints. So that is another + for us and a possible trade down leaving Panthers and Jets still in the QB hunt.

It is becoming a QB desperate league. A few QBs are so good other teams feel hopeless to compete. They are all panicking and will try anything in hopes of finding a hidden Brady or Allen.

My hope is to see a team and coach who finally says, "Screw it." And instead of paying a fortune on QBs and WRs, and still finding themselves at home when playoffs begin each year, they have the guts to go totally in the opposite direction. Accumulate the best run blocking team ever, OLmen across the board, great blocking WRs, two fast beasts at RB, and a big tough running QB. And do nothing but run the ball down teams' throats play after play, having broken them down totally by the second half. Turn each game into a blood fest, controlling the clock, making other teams wish they were anywhere but there on a Sunday afternoon.

Reminds me of a dominate high school team in L.A. in the early 60s, Loyola. They won the CA state championship a few year just running the ball play after play. You knew what they were going to run, but could do nothing to stop them. They gained probably an average of 8-10 yards per play. They opened up holes so big, a RB doing a hand stand could go through them. We played them every year, and every year we stopped them on their first series, and then never again. After one series we were beaten to a pulp by their huge fast linemen that looked like a string of mach trucks storming at you. All you could do every play is say "Oh sh_t" and sacrifice your body once again. For them to score 60 or 70 points was commonplace.

Science will soon come to the rescue and develope cloning of whole human beings, thus leveling the playing field. Players names will include a # like Mahomes 1, Mahomes 2, Mahomes 3. Each clone of Mahomes will come with a built in salary amount and cap # that is equal to one another. Your backup to Mahomes 1 could simply be Mahomes 8.

Last edited:

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
I think Richardson is a good prospect...I would like the Cards to take him at #34.

I figured he would go 1st round because hes a QB....and maybe even mid round because teams get desperate.

If he really goes top 5, I think its a HUGE risk for whatever team takes him, especially if they trade up to take him.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Today’s The Athletic is speculating about whether Richardson could go number 1 in the draft. Wow! I’ve been slamming the idea that he would even go third if the Cards were to trade down. I’m left with one stunning thought if that happens. The power of The Combine is out of control. Being based here in Florida I’ve seen every game he’s played. I’ve written on this forum that he has tremendous upside. However, as in most cases that means he hasn’t done it yet. Florida had a mediocre year. He has made some tremendous plays, but in the end he’s partly responsible for that mediocrity. From ill-advised throws to simply inaccurate throws, his passing issues cost them games.

Even in the Combine his passing inaccuracy was apparent. He left no question he is easily the best athlete of the group. At this point he is not the best QB or even close. His ball placement is weak, his judgment of when to throw into coverage is questionable and his occasional happy feet makes him concerning. If that sounds like someone you know, he’s like a bigger version of that guy with a weaker college career. His tenure at Florida also makes one worry about his coachability. He didn’t grow his QB skill as much as I would have expected.

So, if he goes even top 5, that is not based on his college performance. It’s based on his athleticism. History says that’s a risky basis for selection. The number of failed great QB athletes is long. There’s a few struggling ones in the league right now. Trey Lance being the example that comes to mind. He was not a dominant college QB. He may still work out, but clearly he was taken based on athletic prowess.

I’m not saying Richardson won’t go top 5. I do know QB desperate teams make reaches. I just think history says it‘s a bad position to reach to get. Nonetheless, if the Lions wanted to offer 2 number ones to get him, I’d take that deal.
All apparent, but what I heard from "those who should know" is his one on one interviews were as good as his performance for the physical tests.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Carr is signing with the Saints. So that is another + for us and a possible trade down leaving Panthers and Jets still in the QB hunt.

It is becoming a QB desperate league. A few QBs are so good other teams feel hopeless to compete. They are all panicking and will try anything in hopes of finding a hidden Brady or Allen.

My hope is to see a team and coach who finally says, "Screw it." And instead of paying a fortune on QBs and WRs, and still finding themselves at home when playoffs begin each year, they have the guts to go totally in the opposite direction. Accumulate the best run blocking team ever, OLmen across the board, great blocking WRs, two fast beasts at RB, and a big tough running QB. And do nothing but run the ball down teams' throats play after play, having broken them down totally by the second half. Turn each game into a blood fest, controlling the clock, making other teams wish they were anywhere but there on a Sunday afternoon.

Reminds me of a dominate high school team in L.A. in the early 60s, Loyola. They won the CA state championship a few year just running the ball play after play. You knew what they were going to run, but could do nothing to stop them. They gained probably an average of 8-10 yards per play. They opened up holes so big, a RB doing a hand stand could go through them. We played them every year, and every year we stopped them on their first series, and then never again. After one series we were beaten to a pulp by their huge fast linemen that looked like a string of mach trucks storming at you. All you could do every play is say "Oh sh_t" and sacrifice your body once again. For them to score 60 or 70 points was commonplace.

Science will soon come to the rescue and develope cloning of whole human beings, thus leveling the playing field. Players names will include a # like Mahomes 1, Mahomes 2, Mahomes 3. Each clone of Mahomes will come with a built in salary amount and cap # that is equal to one another. Your backup to Mahomes 1 could simply be Mahomes 8.
Ask the Titans how that's worked out. They're trying to trade their stud RB.

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
Ask the Titans how that's worked out. They're trying to trade their stud RB.
Id say ask the Ravens....and the answer is "pretty well".

You can be a perennial playoff team with a dominate run game and a better than average defense. Always has been, always will be. Can you beat the super high powered offenses....sometimes, but you're game plan has to work perfectly and you have to play a rather boring style of football.

Im not trying to toot my own horn....but the year we drafted Rosen...I has a similar idea about "blowing it up" and going all in on a run first team. I wanted to sign Tyrod Taylor and Draft Lamar Jackson at #15....and then just run the ball 45 times a game.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Serious question: Why are we not considering a trade of Kyler Murray to a needy team like the Panthers, or Raiders? I'd take their first and nothing else to move on from that contract.

I think that is below trade value and personally, I may be ready to do it. Can the raiders possibly say no? the Colts might at #4 but the Panthers, Falcons & Raiders? I'm not sure about that one.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Serious question: Why are we not considering a trade of Kyler Murray to a needy team like the Panthers, or Raiders? I'd take their first and nothing else to move on from that contract.

I think that is below trade value and personally, I may be ready to do it. Can the raiders possibly say no? the Colts might at #4 but the Panthers, Falcons & Raiders? I'm not sure about that one.
I think you gamble on him coming back healthy and give him a shot to increase his value. You may not get a 1st for him today, with the injury plus the contract. I think the Cards would be eating a large portion of the contract on the cap, so they would need multiple picks in return.

Stout

Reaction score
Id say ask the Ravens....and the answer is "pretty well".

You can be a perennial playoff team with a dominate run game and a better than average defense. Always has been, always will be. Can you beat the super high powered offenses....sometimes, but you're game plan has to work perfectly and you have to play a rather boring style of football.

Im not trying to toot my own horn....but the year we drafted Rosen...I has a similar idea about "blowing it up" and going all in on a run first team. I wanted to sign Tyrod Taylor and Draft Lamar Jackson at #15....and then just run the ball 45 times a game.
...and the Ravens have won nada. There's a reason they got rid of their OC this offseason. Oh sure, they took a QB with limited passing skills and made him an MVP but that pass-limited QB has, predictably, failed to get the team even to an NFC Championsip game despite some quality players. Why haven't they gotten over the hump? Lack of passing game.

Stout

Reaction score

It's undoable from a cap perspective is why.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The Anthony Richardson debate is a funny one for me. He has amazing athletic talent. On par with Cam Newton and Lamar Jackson. He also has significant areas for improvement in his passing mechanics. I feel like Lamar Jackson still has those. The question is, what are you drafting a top QN to be? Do you want a guy who has a chance to be one of the top 5 QBs in the NFL, or do you want a guy who after his rookie deal you debate on paying him because he is a top 16 guy vs a top 5 guy? That is the debate between Richardson/Stroud and Bryce Young.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The only scenario for Richardson that makes sense in my head is a Jordan Love scenario where he gets picked in the late 20's of the first round by a team that can afford to let him sit for 3 years. #1 overall is insane to me.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

No one would take that salary. The cap hit would be so large the Cards would be hard pressed to field a team.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The knock on him is that he inaccurate but so was Josh Allen, Cam, and Lamar Jackson. Those three proved with good coaching it could be fixed. Previously if you’re inaccurate in college, you won’t be accurate in the pros.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Here is Richardson going #1 to Carolina!
That would be a disaster for us imo. Pass on Anderson and he lands in Seattle.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score

If Kyler wasnt hurt...the trade winds would be circling him hard and that is 1000% FACT

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Too big of a cap hit to trade him this offseason.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The only scenario for Richardson that makes sense in my head is a Jordan Love scenario where he gets picked in the late 20's of the first round by a team that can afford to let him sit for 3 years. #1 overall is insane to me.
It shouldn't be.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

lol

There’s others reasons besides cap hits that others have mentioned already that Kyler still wouldn’t get traded

It looks bad, but the best thing about the Kyler extension is that the team is FORCED to go trenches, something Keim rarely did with premium capital.

Last thing this team should do is draft another QB that lacks massive talent in the trenches just like we already did with Rosen & Kyler.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
1000% unfactual, you mean. His contract makes him untradeable.
eh maybe so. But i find it hard to believe that a team out there still wouldnt want to get their hands on K1 and run a different style of offense or try and fix him.