Rapoport: Cardinals trading out of #3 very very likely

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It all depends on your perception of Will Anderson.

IMO, he is a flat out, blue chip prospect. You don't pass up on that. If it was Carter there, I'd listen to offers, I don't think Carter carries the same potential.
If one takes Anderson...SWAN pick for sure. Although the team had some close SWAN's that were really bad.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You don't know what is going to be there, and would you rather have one Larry Fitzgerald or 4 Bryant Johnsons?

There are 15-20 very good players. We trade back inside the top 10 and for sure we get a very good player.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There are 15-20 very good players. We trade back inside the top 10 and for sure we get a very good player.

IMO, if you have a chance to grab a potential superstar at a premium position you don't pass up on it, especially when you desperately need someone at that very position. End of story.

I'd rather have 1 superstar at one of the most important positions in football than a couple good players.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Give me Gonzalez in a trade back

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
So 3QBs in the top 3 picks? I can't see this at all with this current crop of QBs.
It is early. And there are some QB still to be moved. That said...this current crop of QBs is better than Davis Mills, Sam Darnold, Geno Smith, Matt Ryan, Marcus Mariota, Desmond Ridder, Andy Dalton, and Jarrett Stidham. And all of those teams have top 10 picks.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I would rather roll with CJ Stroud on a rookie deal than any of those guys. Same with Anthony Richardson. and you might have to sit both of those guys the first year.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
He had a 16.5 sack season where we won 6 games.
Guess you ignore other dynamics to follow your narrative, such as the rest of team and their performance but I do agree that nothing is guaranteed (like one player, in other words would you still draft Wadsworth knowing the tough luck of injury or have drafted wisely with additional picks), especially in the draft, and a great trade down could be even more advantageous if your GM and staff gets it right

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is early. And there are some QB still to be moved. That said...this current crop of QBs is better than Davis Mills, Sam Darnold, Geno Smith, Matt Ryan, Marcus Mariota, Desmond Ridder, Andy Dalton, and Jarrett Stidham. And all of those teams have top 10 picks.
Other than the Bears and Houston, the rest have to give up a king's ransom to move up to grab one of the QBs.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Other than the Bears and Houston, the rest have to give up a king's ransom to move up to grab one of the QBs.
That can be the case for some teams but Indy wants to move up from 4...meh I don't know how much it may cost.

You can either remain a bad team, with a bad QB with several picks or you can give up some of those picks to have hope at QB. Do you think Carolina has been happy losing all of those games with failed QBs? Has it worked for Indy? Seattle got lucky but how much you going to pay Geno? Arthur Smith going to want to put his job on the line with another retread vet?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That can be the case for some teams but Indy wants to move up from 4...meh I don't know how much it may cost.

You can either remain a bad team, with a bad QB with several picks or you can give up some of those picks to have hope at QB. Do you think Carolina has been happy losing all of those games with failed QBs? Has it worked for Indy? Seattle got lucky but how much you going to pay Geno? Arthur Smith going to want to put his job on the line with another retread vet?
There are just as many teams that swing and miss on these QBs that set them back even further. It is a big risk.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We missed on Rosen and what did it really set us back?
I know you know that there is a major difference (in draft capital) going from 15 to 10 like we did for Rosen, vs other teams going up to number 3.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So 3QBs in the top 3 picks? I can't see this at all with this current crop of QBs.

I feel like your arguments are in conflict with each other.

You want us to trade the pick to a QB hungry team for a boat load of future picks... but also don't see the QBs going at the top of the draft?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Always debates...

Truth is, we could trade back and miraculously select 3 hall of famers with the picks we get while Anderson goes on to have a short unspectacular career.

The draft is a gamble.... do we take a hit on 17 or stand pat?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
How is trading the number 3 pick not comparable?
You kept banging the Trey Lance drum. 1) We're not drafting a QB and 2) We're not reaching for a small school never has been who barely played any games. The whole "You'd rather be stuck with Lance than all these players" schtick is a false equivalency. Might as well say Sauce Gardener instead.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
There are going to be great examples for and against either side. That's what makes this one a particularly juicy debate. It breaks down like this for me. Do you want:

A: A shot at a truly elite pass rusher

or

B: A shot at a few lesser but still 1st-round graded talents with the hope that they all pan out and maybe, juuuust maybe, one of them is a truly elite player

I could be biased in listing my options :)
Tend to agree that both options are just possibilities for success.
Liklihood is higher with A.... but Hall of fame players have been drafted in every round.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
It isn't. Swap out Trey Lance and use Micah Parsons in Chopper's example.

Are the Dolphins better with Micah, or the combination of Jaylen Waddle, Tyreek Hill, Bradley Chubb and Channing Tindall?
The Dolphins did very well. We could just as easily draft, say, Calvin Pace and Skillet hands.

While your original example is bad, it's a great debate because both sides can easily be right. If Anderson hits and the later players don't, especially if Seattle takes him we're bemoaning 2003 take two. If Anderson's only average and we draft him and a few later players are stars, guys like me will get trashed.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave