Rapoport: Cardinals trading out of #3 very very likely

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anderson is going to go #2 to the Bears. Why would they make any other trade then with Houston? Picks + the player they wanted anyway

The hitch in all this happens if the Texans trade for Trey Lance
The more they trade down, the more picks they acquire. The Bears arguably need more help than Cards do.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The more they trade down, the more picks they acquire. The Bears arguably need more help than Cards do.

Yeah but they need help in the form of numerous good players now 1.

Bears taking Anderson is putting go faster stripes on a Pacer.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You're arguing that the passing game trumps all but then trying to devalue edge players. And edge players don't just make an impact rushing the passer--less than half their plays? That's grossly inaccurate. They don't play against the run? #1 CBs are important, but not as important as edge simply because the rules have lessened their impact. A shut down corner (not merely a #1) is extremely rare and not as valuable to a defense as an equivalent talent edge, IMO. You also argued against WR because it can be a WR or a TE, so WR isn't the end-all be-all. Your argument is that a top edge is, what, like 5th or so in importance? My retort is it is the most important position on defense and 2nd most on the team.
Sure they play against the run, but a ton of times they don't even know it's a run till they have run themselves out of position trying to get to the QB. This is fine, the defenses are constructed to have LB's and safeties for just such errors. In contrast however there are a ton of plays where a CB is on an island.

Yes, I would say they are about 5th in importance mainly to speed the QB up. But my point is a very good Oline, or a very good QB can make that impact very minor. Brady pretty much never got sacked, and neither does Mahomes. Basically I believe edge is far more important and useful when playing bad teams then when playing very good ones. If your ultimate goal is winning a championship, they probably help you get there, but they usually won't help you win it.

The reason I say WR is because, 9 times out of 10 the number one receiving target is going to be a WR, but if there is a guy that produces like Kelce in college I would have no problem drafting such a guy high.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
this team is not one Wil Anderson pick away from competing.

This team needs to stock pile picks and completely rebuild the trenches. if someone like Detroit wants to give the cardinals another first rounder to trade down you run to that.

we need MULTIPLE o-linemand and MULTIPLE D-lineman. They need to rebuild the running back room and draft actual talent and size in the WR department.

They ultimately will have a top five pick NEXT year and I would like to see the same mindset there as well. Draft Corners/D-lineman, O-lineman.

Jesus Christ our punter and Place Kicker are a combined 100 years old. THEY need to be replaced.

At least we'll be able to watch a new team grow from the ground up
Ok, so are we better off with:

Option 1: Terrell Suggs
or Option 2: Bryant Johnson & Calvin Pace

Hopefully the team learns from it's past mistakes.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Are you better off with
Option 1: Trey Lance (#3) Good comparison since it was the exact same pick.
Option 2: #12, 29, #94 and another 1st round pick. (3 1st rounders and a 3rd)

It isn't that you trade, it is what you do with the trade that counts.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
The Jalen Carter arrest warrant changed the draft for us IMO.
this is the reality

given his showing: Anderson sure seems likely to go in the top two picks

if this comes to pass: i have no issue trading down for the right offer

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that would be very un-Schneider and Carrol like
Maybe, but I don't think so. I think it is why they got all of those picks for Russ. Package them and move up. I'd be surprised if they don't move up actually. Maybe not to #1, but I see them moving.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Are you better off with

The Dolphins turned those picks into Jaylen Waddle, Tyreek Hill, Bradley Chubb and Channing Tindall.

Reaction score
Maybe, but I don't think so. I think it is why they got all of those picks for Russ. Package them and move up. I'd be surprised if they don't move up actually. Maybe not to #1, but I see them moving.
I’d feel a lot better passing on Anderson if Seattle aren’t there at five to pick him.

The truly ideal scenario for me is that someone like Carolina trade up to number one for a huge haul and take a QB, as do the Texans…. Indy get antsy we’ll trade back with another QB needy team and flip us next years #1 to drop back a place and we get Anderson anyway. Unlikely, but a man can dream…

I feel MO and team will look to pick up picks in the 2024 draft rather than this years - where possible - as they’ll have had a full year scouting and grading players in their new system.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I do not think pass rusher is the 2nd biggest need. Left Tackle is. I would argue number 1 CB and number one WR are also bigger needs, probably RT also.

With all that said, even you have to admit there is some package of picks that makes trading down worth while.

Just blanketly saying trading down for any price is unwise makes no sense to me.
Nah, pass rusher is the number one need by a long shot. We have some promising young guys but they are more complimentary to a stud. The NFL is no longer fair when it comes to defense, meaning a guy can play perfect at CB to a large extent but only appear to have a decent game because; he is not allowed to cover for the most part, and still leaves the game with at least 1 PI. The only way to really protect against the pass now is to get there before the ball is thrown

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I’d feel a lot better passing on Anderson if Seattle aren’t there at five to pick him.

The truly ideal scenario for me is that someone like Carolina trade up to number one for a huge haul and take a QB, as do the Texans…. Indy get antsy we’ll trade back with another QB needy team and flip us next years #1 to drop back a place and we get Anderson anyway. Unlikely, but a man can dream…

I feel MO and team will look to pick up picks in the 2024 draft rather than this years - where possible - as they’ll have had a full year scouting and grading players in their new system.
I do not think they can afford to wait and a down year is the perfect year to get a strong rookie class experience

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
What difference did CJ make to us?
You're honestly asking if Chandler Jones in his prime made an impact? You don't understand the fact that other offensive coordinators had to factor for him, and he would often get doubled?
The league is full of great pass rushers on bad teams that achieve nothing.
Let's take a quick look at which teams led the NFL in sacks, shant we?

Oh! The two teams in the Super Bowl were 1 and 2...seems like sacks/pass rush is pretty important!

Let's look at team pressure rates:

Another strong relationship between sacks/pressure and making the playoff teams.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
No amount of great Edge play will overcome a poor roster either. I see your point, it has merits, but surely you can see the merits of trading back too? Not every trade back is terrible.

What if we traded back and got Gonzalez as CB1? Or Skoronski at tackle? Maybe add a 3rd round pick while adding 2 future 1sts?

Gonzalez and Skoronski are both high floor players and we add 2 more top 32 picks in the future.
I get where you're coming from although I don't agree. This feels like us getting our Von Miller--or Suggs as a rookie. For me, you do that ten times out of ten. You're right, no amount of great Edge play will fix a bad roster. No question. We're not going to have a good roster this season, though. Average, maybe, but there are too many holes to fill and the draft isn't the place you simply try to plug all your immediate roster holes.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Are you better off with

Because yeah. Trey Lance and Anderson are suuuuuuch comparables LOLOLOLOLOL There is nothing in the least bit the same in the situation other than we have pick #3. If Anderson's gone, jump all over it. Otherwise, awww hell nooooo.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
You're honestly asking if Chandler Jones in his prime made an impact? You don't understand the fact that other offensive coordinators had to factor for him, and he would often get doubled?

Let's take a quick look at which teams led the NFL in sacks, shant we?

Oh! The two teams in the Super Bowl were 1 and 2...seems like sacks/pass rush is pretty important!

Let's look at team pressure rates:

Another strong relationship between sacks/pressure and making the playoff teams.
Eagles and Chiefs also had top 3 OL's, rated across the board. I shared that earlier.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score

well yeah but ask yourself is the team better with Wil Anderson and no other talent for the next few years or should we just rip the bandaid off and rebuild the whole team

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA