Cards hire Drew Petzing as their OC

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Quick and decisive. Sounds like JG had a plan and is executing it. Who am I to question it? I may have concerns but he should be allowed to sink or swim with his guys. The other way didn't work the past 4 years.
Quick and decisive indeed--that's a good point.

CardsFan1399

Rookie
Reaction score
Don’t know much about either the new OC/DC, but I’m encouraged by the fact that both of these names came up almost immediately after Gannon was hired. It appears that Gannon did his homework, knew who he wanted, and got them. Time will,tell how successful any of them will be, but the early impression of Gannon is that he has a plan. That’s a refreshing change from the previous regime.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First hire I don't like at face value.

Can't tell me EB is not more qualified than Petzing.
EB already signed with Washington.

And he probably want on the short list either.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
But EB is a name that everyone knows. So he must be a savior.

Better to have the up and comer, when you’re a new coach, than a jilted lover, IMO.

The argument for EB was his experience with Andy Reid, an amazing offense, Mahomes, etc.
The argument against EB was he didn't call the plays.

Pelzig has never called plays at any level.

EB is gone and most likely Gannon didn't want him anyway. That is fine but the crowd who criticized EB's experience now has Pelzig. Let's hope it works out.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Albert Breer

The Cardinals are finalizing a three-year deal to make Browns QBs coach Drew Petzing their offensive coordinator, per sources. He joins new DC Nick Rallis, who's coming from Philly with Jonathan Gannon. Both guys topped Gannon's wishlist. Young staff makeup = Similar to Philly.
I like the 3 year contracts as opposed to 5 year

See how this plays out

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Asking from someone who doesn’t know the rules. Can the OC and DC give out their play books, etc. now, so the players can start familiarizing and learning their systems, verbiage, etc? Or do they have to wait for the off season schedules such as OTA’s etc?
Petzing as OC came out a week and a half ago before Gannon was hired. He had a plan and sold it to get the HC job.

He must see something in the guy. I am sure he got to know him well somehow. Because this is deep off the grid.

When that rumor came out I predicted the board would melt down. A few who cared to read that thought I was directing it at Gannon. But Gannon has far more accomplishment compared to Petzing.

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
I am really liking the hires so far. Might just be hopium but it seems like each of them so far have something about them and not just names. Will be interesting to see positional coaches next along with hopefully a wise old defensive & offensive consultant sprinkled in

I like that word.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t know much about either the new OC/DC, but I’m encouraged by the fact that both of these names came up almost immediately after Gannon was hired. It appears that Gannon did his homework, knew who he wanted, and got them. Time will,tell how successful any of them will be, but the early impression of Gannon is that he has a plan. That’s a refreshing change from the previous regime.
Petzing came up as name with Gannon during Super Bowl week.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The argument for EB was his experience with Andy Reid, an amazing offense, Mahomes, etc.
The argument against EB was he didn't call the plays.

Pelzig has never called plays at any level.

EB is gone and most likely Gannon didn't want him anyway. That is fine but the crowd who criticized EB's experience now has Pelzig. Let's hope it works out.
EB did call plays. Zac Taylor didnt. LaFluer didn’t. joe judge didn’t

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EB was never going to work for a first time HC he thinks should be his job
IDK. He could have in his own self interest. He is in Reid's shadow. And that isn't because Reid is a really big guy. A year of great success here would be a slam dunk for HC job next year.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
First off things are as we asked for.

Mike hired Monti
Monti hired Gannon
Gannon hired his coordinators

Regarding Petzing, I don't know if he will be good or not. My concern is does he have a playbook that's not just the Brown's? I assume he must?

Its a big task for him. New team, new scheme, new verbiage for everyone, difficult QB etc. A lot to handle. He'll need a good staff.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
First off things are as we asked for.

Mike hired Monti
Monti hired Gannon
Gannon hired his coordinators

Regarding Petzing, I don't know if he will be good or not. My concern is does he have a playbook that's not just the Brown's? I assume he must?

Its a big task for him. New team, new scheme, new verbiage for everyone, difficult QB etc. A lot to handle. He'll need a good staff.
I don't get this OC hire. DC hire is OK I assume as Gannon is the top guy who will install defense.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Brissett had one of the best years of his career last year.
Brissett was drafted by the Patriots, so MO is familiar with him too. I do expect that Jacoby will fill in for Murray next year. He’s 6’4 & 240. Hell, he can fill in at LB once Murray returns lol. His TD/INT ratio is 48-23.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave