2022-23 Around the NBA Thread

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
If you can be considered for defensive player of the year one year and drop 45 points in the very next year, that's special

Monty had roles for everyone, led to best record in the league
And that's another thing, acting like we can do better than coach Monty, acting like we can replace him. Yall should be ashamed

DJ Tabooh

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Us “Haters” are waiting for KD, who unlike Bridges, wouldn’t have 7 POINTS the night previous to his best game ever.
I was just teasing man. Wasn’t a shot at anyone in particular, just a really passionate fan base lol. Mikal drove me crazy too sometimes.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just watched the Mikal tape. Where was this when he was here? He had a little razzle dazzle on some of those drives. Even some bumps and finishes.

It’s like he was handcuffed here all this time. He looked like a completely different player. My guess is Monty wanted him to play a certain way.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I just watched the Mikal tape. Where was this when he was here? He had a little razzle dazzle on some of those drives. Even some bumps and finishes.

It’s like he was handcuffed here all this time. He looked like a completely different player. My guess is Monty wanted him to play a certain way.
Mikal had plenty of chances to score 45 points when Book was out. I don’t buy that Monty “forced” him to not be a high volume scorer. We lost several games with Bridges as supposedly the primary #1.

Please don’t forget he scored 7 points his previous game.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Anyone watch Doncic last night. I think he has gained 50 pounds at least and is the worst defender in the NBA this year. Maybe all time worst defender in NBA history. Lots of people on this board said he would ware down and he has. Five years from now Ayton is going to be the one that was the best out of that draft.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who are the naysayers trying to convince the KD deal was great, the people who are discussing Mikal's big night or themselves? Seems every mention of it being a potential overpay is met with serious defensive posturing. The deal's done, it can't be walked back. People can still be happy Mikal is playing well.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
I like Bridges and I am glad to see he had a great game. I also don't believe he will be repeating anything close to that very often. One of the issues with him was his lack of offensive consistency, and I expect that will continue to be an issue for him. Bridges is a nice complementary player, but isn't going to suddenly turn into an all-NBA guy just because he's getting more shots in Brooklyn.

And anyone getting on their "I told you so" horse at this point better be ready to eat some crow when both he and Durant are back to their normatives soon enough.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Bridges and I am glad to see he had a great game. I also don't believe he will be repeating anything close to that very often. One of the issues with him was his lack of offensive consistency, and I expect that will continue to be an issue for him. Bridges is a nice complementary player, but isn't going to suddenly turn into an all-NBA guy just because he's getting more shots in Brooklyn.

And anyone getting on their "I told you so" horse at this point better be ready to eat some crow when both he and Durant are back to their normatives soon enough.
Wanna bet?

Mikal is going to be a consistent 22-25 point scorer as long as he is in this role for the Nets, and he will have occasional outbursts like this. The only thing he was lacking on offense was confidence, now he has it.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Who are the naysayers trying to convince the KD deal was great, the people who are discussing Mikal's big night or themselves? Seems every mention of it being a potential overpay is met with serious defensive posturing. The deal's done, it can't be walked back. People can still be happy Mikal is playing well.

I was thinking the same thing. I was legitimately just posting it because I am so happy for Mikal, my favorite player in the league. We can be happy Mikal is doing well and acknowledge that the Suns are in a better spot this year because of the trade. Those things are not mutually exclusive.

haverford

Registered
Reaction score
Mikal had plenty of chances to score 45 points when Book was out. I don’t buy that Monty “forced” him to not be a high volume scorer. We lost several games with Bridges as supposedly the primary #1.

That 7 point game was partly due to Jacque Vaughn not utilizing him effectively, low minutes, weird rotations. Probably an outlier---not saying he'd have scored a ton more, but that bad game was circumstantial and somewhat beyond his control.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The premise is false because he isn't 80% of KD right now.
Not to mention 80% of KD is literally a worse player than KD. I mean, LITERALLY 20% worse. Which is actually a lot. Enough to make the difference in championship or not. It would only mean he’s better than expected and will likely have more years left.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
And that's another thing, acting like we can do better than coach Monty, acting like we can replace him. Yall should be ashamed
This is an ignorant take. Would have kept Doug collins in Chicago and the buccaneers would’ve never won their first super bowl with this attitude.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

My post wasn't about the chances he's had to score big #'s, we all know his window was open and he just had started to increase his output on offense before he left.

But i'm talking about the way he played in those highlight clips. They are only highlight clips, but Bridges didn't play like that (meaning style/type) when he was here. Which is what i mean by he showed some razzle dazzle. Then he scored in ways we never saw; which is what i meant when he drove in, got the bump, and1.

Here he was just more reserved which is why i said Monty handcuffed him, so that is what i mean by maybe Monty wanted him to play a certain way.

But yes he's had his chances to get #'s and we were a bottom feeding team with him as our 1.

That's my thing with Monty, which is maybe what lead to the Crowder deal, is that it seems like he wants guy to present themselves in a certain way or behave in a certain way. AZSteve might understand what i am saying or inferring to. Its a bit difficult to explain for me.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Not to mention 80% of KD is literally a worse player than KD. I mean, LITERALLY 20% worse. Which is actually a lot. Enough to make the difference in championship or not. It would only mean he’s better than expected and will likely have more years left.

Not to get too bogged down in arbitrary %s but the difference between a player of KD's caliber and even an All-Star level player is exponential even if the stat line is close. Bridges is my favorite player and I will be watching a lot of Nets games but I don't see him ever having the same type of impact KD has had when he played this year.

Now KD just needs to stay healthy for the next 2-3 years and close the deal on a title.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Not to get too bogged down in arbitrary %s but the difference between a player of KD's caliber and even an All-Star level player is exponential even if the stat line is close. Bridges is my favorite player and I will be watching a lot of Nets games but I don't see him ever having the same type of impact KD has had when he played this year.

Now KD just needs to stay healthy for the next 2-3 years and close the deal on a title.
Correct. Moving beyond individual stats, how KDs mere presence and gravity opens the floor for everyone else alone is likely only matched by like 4-5 players at present.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My post wasn't about the chances he's had to score big #'s, we all know his window was open and he just had started to increase his output on offense before he left.

But i'm talking about the way he played in those highlight clips. They are only highlight clips, but Bridges didn't play like that (meaning style/type) when he was here. Which is what i mean by he showed some razzle dazzle. Then he scored in ways we never saw; which is what i meant when he drove in, got the bump, and1.

Here he was just more reserved which is why i said Monty handcuffed him, so that is what i mean by maybe Monty wanted him to play a certain way.

But yes he's had his chances to get #'s and we were a bottom feeding team with him as our 1.

That's my thing with Monty, which is maybe what lead to the Crowder deal, is that it seems like he wants guy to present themselves in a certain way or behave in a certain way. AZSteve might understand what i am saying or inferring to. Its a bit difficult to explain for me.
I'm not sure if this is what you mean but yeah, I disagree with the line of thinking on Monty here. I don't believe he's really a player's coach or soft in any way. I think he's a religious martinet. It's precisely his way or the doghouse, a complaint that has followed him throughout his career.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA