4-3 v 3-4 Scheme for Gannon

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Hi all, I understand that Gannon runs a 4-3 base alignment for his defense. If correct, does this mean that we will now be changing personnel extensively on that side of the ball? Who sticks? Who doesn't?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Hi all, I understand that Gannon runs a 4-3 base alignment for his defense. If correct, does this mean that we will now be changing personnel extensively on that side of the ball? Who sticks? Who doesn't?
Doubt it. I listened to an early interview when he took the Philly DC job and said he doesn't prefer either base D, he builds the playbook based on the current personnel.

the team has 4-3 personnel

Simmons is a WOLB. Collins is a SAM or a Mike

Zach Allen and Cam Thomas are 4-3 DEs

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
I will expect both Simmons and Collins to make a huge improvement. If not, keep the scissors handy

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Doubt it. I listened to an early interview when he took the Philly DC job and said he doesn't prefer either base D, he builds the playbook based on the current personnel.
That’s refreshing. A coach that actually adapts his schemes to fit the strengths of your players. If he can get Simmons on the right track, that will be a great start

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
This season the eagles had this great player named Hasson Reddick that gave them a lot a of flexibility where they could morph between a 3-4 and 4-3. If only we had players like that I think we would be a much better team

Jasper

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This season the eagles had this great player named Hasson Reddick that gave them a lot a of flexibility where they could morph between a 3-4 and 4-3. If only we had players like that I think we would be a much better team
The same tweener that was too small/light to play DE/pass rusher so me moved him to ILB a position he never played before?

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The same tweener that was too small/light to play DE/pass rusher so me moved him to ILB a position he never played before?

Reddick played ILB at the Senior Bowl, leading to the evaluation that he could make the transition at the next level.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

We played 4-3 most of last year but my understanding is that Gannon uses multiple fronts so I don't think he's tied to anything and will adjust based on the personnel.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Simmons could be used more often to pressure the QB like Reddick. I think that would play to his strength.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Thank Goodness. I am tired of stubborn coaches who force major adjustments of scheme regardless of personnel.
It is a bit of a cliche. Facts are that our defense front has very few players that are scheme dependent.

Nice part is that both Anderson and Carter fit player comps for guys in Philly. Carter's game is similar to Fletcher Cox and Will Anderson can fill the Reddick LB/DE role very easily. If they re-sign Allen, he would fit in as a DE. Same with Cam Thomas. Philly likes to run a defensive front rotation so that would shape the roster nicely.

Collins and Simmons have the most to win/lose in this shakeup. FA and the draft will likely tell you what you need to know there.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson