Cardinals Head Coaching Candidates 2023

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
First you said one year

We shot that down

Then you switched to 3 years

We were like nope

Then you go with 3 years but 1 year and act like that's what you meant the whole time lol it's like you think we're all idiots not seeing you're just throwing stuff out there hoping it'll stick, or maybe the attempts of being controversial is just your schtick

I said 1 year placeholder, not 1 year contract. If you misunderstood, well that's not my fault.

There's no such thing as a 1 year HC contract. So when I said "1 year placeholder" I didn't think I had to write "with a 3 year deal" because it's obvious.

But believe what you like. I couldn't care less.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Like, Bidwill would be even more of a dope of an owner than he already is if he believes "run the ball and play good defense" is actually feasible.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Once again. If these are the two paths to success for our next HC. (which I think most would agree with)

A. Get Kyler back to being a top 12 QB.

B. Trade Kyler this year, and build a top end roster with a QB on a rookie contract.

If Mike pitches Kyler as a great opportunity to potential HCs, what is the pitch of the candidate? What remaining candidate has any credible history or experience in doing A? And if no history or experience, how do they do that?

I would argue there are far more candidates who are capable of executing option B.

This is where we differ a little.

Most of what Kyler needs to do to get back to being a top 12 QB is in his own hands. Not the new HC. The new HC can help but much of it is on him.

I think Kyler can be a top 12 QB for anyone. If Kyler handles his own business.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If you don't believe those three players are not legit NFL starters, you are being disingenuous because I refuse to believe you are that uninformed.
Sorry, the only player of that group that mattered at all was Humphries. Pugh and Beachum sounded great at the podium, but BOTH are soft & washed. An OL is not made up of individuals, it’s a cohesive unit. And as a cohesive unit, they STUNK. And trust me, I’ve been informed for decades longer than you have, so keep that garbage to yourself.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I said 1 year placeholder, not 1 year contract. If you misunderstood, well that's not my fault.

There's no such thing as a 1 year HC contract. So when I said "1 year placeholder" I didn't think I had to write "with a 3 year deal" because it's obvious.

But believe what you like. I couldn't care less.
Sounds like you're getting a little upset now so I'm just gonna chill

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Sorry, the only player of that group that mattered at all was Humphries. Pugh and Beachum sounded great at the podium, but BOTH are soft & washed. An OL is not made up of individuals, it’s a cohesive unit. And as a cohesive unit, they STUNK. And trust me, I’ve been informed for decades longer than you have, so keep that garbage to yourself.
Man you're dead wrong here. Pugh was an above average guard in 2021. Beachum was middle of the pack.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Sorry man but this just aint true.

It was poor year 1. It was top 20 in year 2 and year 3 and it was poor last year due to injuries.

Maybe @kerouac9 can pull up some DVOA stats.

PFF ranked the O line 12th in 2020 and 15th in 2021. And before anyone says "But PFF" they consistently ranked the Cardinals O line bottom 5 nearly every year since 2006 apart from a couple of years in the BA era.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think I got it from several places. It seemed common knowledge. Here’s a Fansided headline, “Cowboys DC Dan Quinn turns down Cardinals, stays with Dallas.”

Quinn informed all interested parties that he was staying in Dallas.

There is no suggestion that he'd received a formal offer from the CARDS or any other team.

Drawing that conclusion was yours.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone who'd rather work with Davis Mills, Sam Darnold, an unproven 1st round pick who's never played an NFL snap vs Kyler...or who doesn't understand how easily we can cut Kyler in 2 years relatively stress-free is a moron not worth hiring. I get Kyler has his challenges but anyone preferring the above or waiting to inherit a Burrow/Mahomes/Herbert type in his prime is either dumb or delusional.
You keep saying that the team can easily get out of Kyler after two years as if the first two years of any coach’s tenure don’t matter and they all get oodles of time to develop a team, which just completely ignores reality for NFL coaches. If the Cardinals DO need to get out of Kyler after two years, that’s likely because he continued to stink, which likely means the team continued to stink, which likely means whoever the HC is probably sitting on a major hot seat in Year 3… with no QB.

Thinking that line of thought enters a coach’s mind and doesn’t weigh heavy is either dumb or delusional. No coach can afford to just eat the first two years of their contract, especially if they have questions about Kyler coming in.

That said, it’s not the only reason we are having problems getting great candidates in here. Mikey has proven himself the type of idiot owner smart people don’t want to work for. But now he’s got a pretty big question ON the field to go with him being a major problem off it.

Last edited:

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
build a top end roster with a QB on a rookie contract.
Which involves great drafting & having personnel in place before the QB. Otherwise, you’re banking on being the Andrew Luck Colts. I don’t know why you’re so hungry for that.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
None of those guys mandate their coaches sit down with them and watch a few hours of film every week. Most of the above don’t hover around the draft room and practice either. All of the above also invest significantly more money into their franchises and coaches than the Bidwill’s too.

The Bidwill’s have had a difficult time attracting coaches for decades. Coaches don’t want to be micromanaged by a clueless trust-funder

Whoa!

According to what I read, he didn't mandate that the coaches give him a weekly video session. They offered and he took it up.

And where, pray tell, do you get all of this inside info on how other owners interact with management and coaches?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's worth remembering that nearly all coaching hires are not first choice and are often down to luck.

For all the Sean Payton talk this year he wasn't the Saints first choice for HC and they weren't his first choice. Neither was he a hot commodity. He only interviewed for Packers and Saints and he wanted the Packers.

Zac Taylor's 2 seasons as an offensive coordinator saw his offensives finish 25th and 28th. He was not the Bengals first option.

My point being, we don't know what Aaron Glenn or Amurumo etc might be as a HC. Nobody ever does.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
You keep saying that the team can easily get out of Kyler after two years as if the first two years of any coach’s tenure don’t matter and they all get oodles of time to develop a team, which just completely ignores reality for NFL coaches. If the Cardinals DO need to get out of Kyler after two years, that’s likely because he continued to stink, which likely means the team continued to stink, which likely means whoever the HC is probably sitting on a major hot seat in Year 3… with no QB.

Thinking that line of thought enters a coach’s mind and doesn’t weigh heavy is either dumb or delusional. No coach can afford to just eat the first two years of their contract, especially if they have questions about Kyler coming in.

That said, it’s not the only reason we are having problems getting great candidates in here. Mikey has proven himself the type of idiot owner smart people don’t want to work for. But now he’s got a pretty big question ON the field to go with him being a problem off it.
As I’ve said multiple times Bidwill needs to be framing the job to any prospective candidate as guaranteeing them a crack at a second QB if Kyler fails.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As I’ve said multiple times Bidwill needs to be framing the job to any prospective candidate as guaranteeing them a crack at a second QB if Kyler fails.

God no.

I can't imagine a worse sell than "Well Kyler might suck, but don't worry. If he does you get another shot in 2 years with a $20m dead cap hit".

We're stuck with Kyler. He has no choice but to sell Kyler being great.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well if the owner is framing it to the candidates and their agents in this way of course we are not getting coaches.

The owner pitch should be that the new coach has his crack at Kyler. Then if that doesn’t work same coach will get a crack at a QB of his choice in 2024/2025 before being totally judged.
The owner doesn’t have to pitch that to candidates. It’s the reality of the NFL.

You’re smarter than this to keep ignoring the reality that coaches don’t get 4-5 years to rebuild at this point in the league.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
God no.

I can't imagine a worse sell than "Well Kyler might suck, but don't worry. If he does you get another shot in 2 years with a $20m dead cap hit".

We're stuck with Kyler. He has no choice but to sell Kyler being great.
Just heard Cowherd pitch the idea of sitting Kyler for the entire season so they can get Drake Maye or Caleb Williams.

Basically the Zac Taylor plan of being really bad for a year, get off your previous franchise QB and draft a young guy.

Imo really to sell Kyler as great you gotta sell the idea that Kyler will be back sooner than whats being reported.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just heard Cowherd pitch the idea of sitting Kyler for the entire season so they can get Drake Maye or Caleb Williams.

Basically the Zac Taylor plan of being really bad for a year, get off your previous franchise QB and draft a young guy.

Imo really to sell Kyler as great you gotta sell the idea that Kyler will be back sooner than whats being reported.

To be fair we don't have to sit Kyler to be bad for a year...

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
In March you can, but if you designate them a Post-June 1 cut, you still have to carry their contract to June 1 as if they're still on the roster. In Kyler's case, that would mean guaranteeing $36.8 million in 2026 compensation.
agree on new league year

i beleive you have to carry the cap ramifications to June 1, not the actual contract

so on day 1 of the new league year the Cards could cut him, Kyler becomes a free agent and the Cards avoid the guaranteed comp --- but any cap savings wouldnt be available until after June 1

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Which involves great drafting & having personnel in place before the QB. Otherwise, you’re banking on being the Andrew Luck Colts. I don’t know why you’re so hungry for that.
I think it is an easier path because you will have the cap space to execute it.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
agree on new league year

i beleive you have to carry the cap ramifications to June 1, not the actual contract

so on day 1 of the new league year the Cards could cut him, Kyler becomes a free agent and the Cards avoid the guaranteed comp --- but any cap savings wouldnt be available until after June 1
I don’t believe that is correct. Otherwise why have the guarantees kick in at or near the start of the league year?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I think it is an easier path because you will have the cap space to execute it.
There’s a midpoint between Kyler’s contract and a rookie deal.

You can get a Mariota/Jameis/Trubisky type for a year or two while you build the rest of your roster and then drop the rookie into a more supportive situation.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
agree on new league year

I believe you are talking about spreading the remaining bonus money paid over the current season and next season, but that doesn't work when it comes to roster bonuses or triggers to guaranteed money.