Is Anything Real? If so, how do we know?

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
We have memories of what we assume are real. And we have thoughts that we call imagination, illusions of grandeur, or simply daydreaming. They both seem to appear or happen in the brain or our heads in the same way. So how are we to distinguish one being more real than another? They both are real in the sense of them being real thoughts. But who is to say that one actually happened in the past and one didn't? Is one more real or valid than another? Can one even be more important than another since they seem like just thoughts of something not of the present? Can we dream or imagine something that we haven't actually experienced in some way? If so, how did that imprint ever get in our minds? Could all our thoughts and dreams be of forgotten realities we once experienced? Actually, isn't who we think we are simply based on those same thoughts/memories? How can we be sure which are 'real'? Can't we simply be whoever we want to 'think or imagine' we are?

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your post made me think of this:

"Once, Zhuang Zhou dreamed he was a butterfly, a butterfly flitting and fluttering about, happy with himself and doing as he pleased. He didn't know that he was Zhuang Zhou.

Suddenly he woke up and there he was, solid and unmistakable Zhuang Zhou. But he didn't know if he was Zhuang Zhou who had dreamt he was a butterfly, or a butterfly dreaming that he was Zhuang Zhou."

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We have memories of what we assume are real. And we have thoughts that we call imagination, illusions of grandeur, or simply daydreaming. They both seem to appear or happen in the brain or our heads in the same way. So how are we to distinguish one being more real than another? They both are real in the sense of them being real thoughts. But who is to say that one actually happened in the past and one didn't? Is one more real or valid than another? Can one even be more important than another since they seem like just thoughts of something not of the present? Can we dream or imagine something that we haven't actually experienced in some way? If so, how did that imprint ever get in our minds? Could all our thoughts and dreams be of forgotten realities we once experienced? Actually, isn't who we think we are simply based on those same thoughts/memories? How can we be sure which are 'real'? Can't we simply be whoever we want to 'think or imagine' we are?
To all this.....sure! Real...not real...does it matter at the end of the day? Not really if the ego is understood as the illusion it serves imo. The physical representation of the spiritual endless multiverse, universe... what have you. Some say seeing is believing. I say what we believe, is what we see. This can also get into the illusion of choice. Do we have actual choice in what happens to us or what we do?...or is it predetermined? Either one....does it matter? If one can let go of the egoic self, I'd say no.

My little side rant here... :)

kevin_hall

Reaction score
I think that it is an eternal question, which means that everyone has a unique answer. While reading this a quote came to mind: "If you are given $84600 every day you would do everything to spend them, wouldn't you? The next day you will receive the same amount of money. So, everyday you've got 84600 seconds. Why waste time? Take every moment to make something unique and positive out of it".

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score
Yeah, I've often wondered if this moment is all that exists. Not sure, but in the meantime I'll keep on grinding and building a future for my kids.

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Yeah, I've often wondered if this moment is all that exists. Not sure, but in the meantime I'll keep on grinding and building a future for my kids.
Are you sure they are your kids? Are you sure they have a future? Could they be something like a reflection of what you wish your childhood was like? Or worse yet, what if their future entails bringing your life to an end?

Or, what if you are not here and I am simply talking and typing with and to myself.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you sure they are your kids? Are you sure they have a future? Could they be something like a reflection of what you wish your childhood was like? Or worse yet, what if their future entails bringing your life to an end?

Or, what if you are not here and I am simply talking and typing with and to myself.

Interesting that you bumped this because I was reading this earlier about a CIA study to basically escape the confines of time and space called the Gateway Experience:

and then found this :

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Interesting that you bumped this because I was reading this earlier about a CIA study to basically escape the confines of time and space called the Gateway Experience:

Yes, I was part of that study where they had convinced me that I had been transported to another world nearly identical to ours. In this other world our politicians were nothing more than actors pretending to govern, supposedly having our interests at heart. Yet really in charge were the rich and powerful, who control the financial markets and the world's resources, and who dictate to the politicians what direction they want our country and world to go.

Wait, wasn't that in the early 80's when Reagan was president. Never mind!

Last edited:

Bada0Bing

Don't Stop Believin'
Reaction score

Lol, nope. But I'm going to keep grinding anyway lol. Got goals to accomplish!

I read a lot about quantum entanglement and string theory though. I love to find podcasts like this to listen to as I fall asleep. Mind bending.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose