Cardinals Head Coaching Candidates 2023

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
No - it's not. I explained why we can't have Kyler as a game manager. You can't afford superior talent around him with a big contract. Russ/Kap worked BECAUSE they were on rookie contracts. If Keim were a good GM, we would have followed the formula.
Outside of their defense, the Seahawks didn't have elite talent.

Draft well and the Cardinals can fill out the defense and the offensive line.
He was a leading MVP candidate just a year ago - he has the talent, it's a matter of whether or not he'll grow up and live up to his potential. HE'S NOT A GAME MANAGER.
What did he do last year though?
Kyler is one person to fix - the rest of the roster needs lots of work, but a transcendent QB can cover up for a lot of flaws, as we saw in 2021.
Which Kyler are we getting though?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
LOL, you must be misremembering. Here's a breakdown to jog your memory:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

They had a pretty good RB! He ran for almost 1300 yards. The trio of Harvin/Baldwin/Tate was very good, and Zach Miller was a pro bowler. They had Okung and Unger at O-line.

This team was loaded on both sides of the ball.
He was terrible - does that make him a game manager now?
Your guess is as good as mine - last year really rocked my faith in the guy.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Top prospect evaluator & professional scout had this report from the Senior Bowl. It checks with what others & I have posted. He’s very credible. “Why is the Arizona Cardinals head coach job taking so long to fill? If you are to believe what people in Mobile are saying, it’s due to Kyler Murray — and it’s not because the quarterback has a large say in the matter.

Rather, many of the desired candidates don’t want to take the job knowing they’ll be tied to the hip of Murray for the next four seasons. Murray signed a five-year, $230 million contract in late August, and anyone who takes the Cardinals job will have no options in the foreseeable future at quarterback.”

Maybe the 'very credible' source could explain why, with all these concerns, coach after coach have taken interviews for the H-C position?

Are we to believe that one after the other, they opened the interview saying, "I'm your guy if you dump KM."

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Chopper0080, I think a lot of what you have written is correct concerning Kyler, unfortunately.

I do hope that we do bring in a head coach that will do most of, if not all of, the things you have listed.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Maybe the 'very credible' source could explain why, with all these concerns, coach after coach have taken interviews for the H-C position?

Are we to believe that one after the other, they opened the interview saying, "I'm your guy if you dump KM."
Yup, these dudes aren't wasting their time flying in and/or coming back for 2nd interviews, because deep down they don't want to coach Murray. I can only recall 2 candidates saying no to an interview (Bienemy in 2018 and Ryans this year). Did Quinn turn down an offer to go back to Dallas? Who really knows. None of the other candidates, to my knowledge have taken their names out of the hat.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All it takes is the right person to lead an individual down the Rudy past. Kyler is nowhere near a dark place as Carter was and look at how it turned out for him. Get the right coach for Kyler and the team. Kliff wasn't the guy and made it worse as time went on.

"When we got him, (Carter) was struggling and the Vikings really got him the help he needed,’’ retired NFL quarterback Rich Gannon told The Athletic. “It was a pretty good locker room where I think he got some good support. We knew he was a really talented player, and we knew right away we had something special.”

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
Having that security blanket would have helped, but Brady wasn't firing blanks as he went down for the last time.

By most standards, he had a pretty good statistical year.
He did...it just wasn't consistent. He was rarely on the same page with receivers for long periods of time. It was just weird.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Its also funny that the most coveted coach Sean Payton (or at least top 2) was said to have loved Kyler Murray by Ian Rappoport.

Either its from people close to DeMeco or its possible Flores has said he's not interested. Either way seems we have other candidates heavily interested.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its also funny that the most coveted coach Sean Payton (or at least top 2) was said to have loved Kyler Murray by Ian Rappoport.

Either its from people close to DeMeco or its possible Flores has said he's not interested. Either way seems we have other candidates heavily interested.

I read DeMeco's kids go to school in Houston and he was going to move them to SF this offseason if he didn't get a HC job. You can't compete with family.

Also, how wife is from there.

"DeMeco Ryans’ wife is Jamila Ryans, who he reportedly met while while playing for the Houston Texans. They allegedly married in Pearland, Texas, on June 29, 2013."

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Or it's the usual bull-shi* over beers by guys claiming to be in the know.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
I read DeMeco's kids go to school in Houston and he was going to move them to SF this offseason if he didn't get a HC job. You can't compete with family.

"DeMeco Ryans’ wife is Jamila Ryans, who he reportedly met while while playing for the Houston Texans. They allegedly married in Pearland, Texas, on June 29, 2013."
Yup, and the Cardinals weren't the only team he said "no" too.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Payton said that on tv during the combine. I’d need to know if he gushed about every QB that day to be sure haha..

Flores clashing with Tua, who seems more level-headed than Kyler, is slightly concerning but we don’t know what their issues were specifically.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

DeMeco to Houston was the surest thing this offseason.

Drafted by the Texans and his wife from Houston.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Both have merit but he is (likely) not going to be able to do any physical reps when the new offense and scheme is installed which will push back his assimilation of it further.
Wonder if a poll was conducted and the question was " if it was at all possible to dump Murray and start with a clean slate would you do it?"
Now it is kind of silly as no one in their right mind would take this guy, and we don't directly sign his check, with all the baggage he has, but I think it would be an overwhelming yes...a lot more guys would want the job with the possibility of starting with a #3 and maybe signing a solid vet QB and develop a young guy.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
He did...it just wasn't consistent. He was rarely on the same page with receivers for long periods of time. It was just weird.
Brady was not all that good this year and it was not weird, because he is freaking old for the sport and why these guys need to retire with a grip on reality

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
Payton said that on tv during the combine. I’d need to know if he gushed about every QB that day to be sure haha..

Flores clashing with Tua, who seems more level-headed than Kyler, is slightly concerning but we don’t know what their issues were specifically.
You can go back to a Cowherd appearance in Dec/Jan and find more he says about Murray and how he'd work with him and what needs to change. It's the "hero ball" type of treatment that Sean said needs to stop with Murray...that he needs a true running game to take the pressure off, so that he's not the only one on the team being asked to make play after play, to save their butts.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Conversely, anyone that isn't concerned about Kyler isn't a HC I want running this team. If he doesn't think there are concerns--and there are glaring concerns--he won't try to fix him.
“Seeing potential” does not equate to “thinking he’s perfect.” No coach is coming here thinking kyler is flawless. But they need to believe there’s talent there that they can tap, otherwise what’s the point?

Considering this conversation is centered around coaches who aren’t interested at all bc of him I think the post to which you were responding is more a legit concern than is your concern.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
LOL, you must be misremembering. Here's a breakdown to jog your memory:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

They had a pretty good RB! He ran for almost 1300 yards. The trio of Harvin/Baldwin/Tate was very good, and Zach Miller was a pro bowler. They had Okung and Unger at O-line.

This team was loaded on both sides of the ball.
I remember those teams very well. None of those receivers are special whatsoever.

Okung? He was a major disappointment who never played up to his draft potential. Unger was a good one, but there guys in this draft who can probably come close to Unger's ability.

Lynch was pretty damn good, but it's not too hard to find a decent RB.

The rest of the offense was filled with replacement level or below players. Their offensive line was a bunch of pretty bad players even when the Seahawks were at their peak, but they played decently as a unit on run downs because of coaching.
He was terrible - does that make him a game manager now?
The Cardinals have to try something. I'm not getting on Kyler becoming an elite QB anymore, so the best case scenario in my mind is to take the emphasis off of Murray.
Your guess is as good as mine - last year really rocked my faith in the guy.
Agreed. I'm not done with him, but I don't have much faith in him either. Well...I can't be done with him because it's next to impossible to trade or cut him at this point.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I didn't really know about the clash, just thought ownership forced him to play him early.

Interesting stuff.

"(McDaniel's) all about preaching confidence to a guy and building him up, rather than trying to break him down," Fitzpatrick said. "And I think that's translated well, so far to the field."

Fitzpatrick, who played with Miami during Tagovailoa's rookie season in 2020, noted that Flores really believed in tough love and intense mental challenging, and that it may have added more stress than necessary."

jbjarko

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Brady was not all that good this year and it was not weird, because he is freaking old and why these guys need to retire with a grip on reality

If I’m a 7 time SB winner, my reality is play until they don’t pay me anymore. Their reality isn’t ours. You don’t retire with a “grip”, you you retire with a grip of money.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Draft well and the Cardinals can fill out the defense and the offensive line.

yeah I dunno...
for a while there they had Beast mode running behind Max Unger
thats pretty top talent

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose