Are we in an Offensive Rebuild?

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I'd say yes, we have Kyler Murray signed thru 2028 but other than that...

RB
We have James Conner signed for 2 more seasons so we'll call the running back position a wash and hope he stays healthy but we should add some depth

WR
D-Hop wants out, I'd be surprised if he doesn't get his wish. Dortch is no longer signed. We have Hollywood for 1 more year. We do have Moore and that dude Robbie Anderson signed thru 2024

TE
1) We have a 32 year old Zach Ertz coming off major knee injury, 2 seasons left on his contract

2) McBride, will likely be the best we have to start 2023 and from what I gather he is the only other currently signed TE on the roster?? That can't be right lol

OL
If you thought the RB and TE rosters were thin you're going to love our offensive line

Hudson is done son, no other Centers are currently under contract

Humphries is signed for 3 more seasons, same goes for both Guards - Smith and Hayes

After that we have Tackle Josh Jones inked thru next year and that's it, that's all she wrote - screw having any back ups for our back ups lol we don't even have back ups

So yeah... I'd say we're in a rebuild lol and that even the great Sean Payton himself couldn't have done jack squat with this offensive roster. Monti certainly has his work cut out for him

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Obviously these aren't the only pieces we're going to take into training camp. Hopefully we'll add a solid RB in the third round or later. We'll likely sign two mid-level free agent OL.

I think you can limp along with Hollywood, Dortch (who is an ERFA and will be back), Rondale, someone like Noah Brown (DAL) and a draft pick at WR.

The offensive personnel were designed to be QB-centric, but it's pretty clear this group is likely to struggle in 2023. You hope to unearth some gems and polish them up going into 2024.

People hoping for something from Smith and Hayes are probably wishcasting. Smith couldn't even keep his job over Coward in the last quarter of the year.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd say yes, we have Kyler Murray signed 2028 but other than that...

RB
We have James Conner signed for 2 more seasons so we'll call the running back position a wash and hope he stays healthy but we should add some depth

WR
D-Hop wants out, I'd be surprised if he doesn't get his wish. Dortch is no longer signed. We have Hollywood for 1 more year. We do have Moore and that dude Robbie Anderson is signed thru 2024

TE
1) We have a 32 year old Zach Ertz coming off major knee injury, 2 seasons left on his contract

2) McBride, will likely be the best we have to start 2023 and from what I gather he is the only other currently signed TE on the roster?? That can't be right lol

OL
If you thought the RB and TE rosters were thin you're going to love our offensive line

Hudson is done son, no other Centers are currently under contract

Humphries is signed for 3 more seasons, same goes for both Guards - Smith and Hayes

After that we have Tackle Josh Jones inked thru next year and that's it, that's all she wrote

So yeah... I'd say we're in a rebuild lol and that even the great Sean Payton himself couldn't have done jack squat with this offensive roster. Monti certainly has his work cut out for him
We don’t know what the Hopkins situation is going to be. He will either be extended or traded. Anderson won’t be here. Dortch is a erfa. He stays.

We desperately need speed at running back if we are going to be entertaining. Blocking for Connor is like blocking for a bulldozer. We can’t ask this offensive lines to hold their blocks for 3-4 seconds and sustain drives. We need a corvette running through the hole every once in a while.

Yes Kyler is gone but I believe we have to bring in a guy that can hold the fort down and maybe, MAYBE, add a little competition. Bridgewater, Brissett is a possible answer.

Is Ertz done? If not we are ok at TE.

That leaves bolstering the o- line. Lots of work. Can’t call it a complete rebuild but it is certainly more than just a flat tire.

NMCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think during the firing process, Bidwill himself said that his Cardinal’s were not in rebuild mode.

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
barely anything to spend, holes all over, more than likely a backup qb for most of the season

This team is primed for the 1st overall pick next season. Monti Ossenfort will have plenty of opportunities this year and next in the draft to gather and assembled an entirely new team. I really hope and the new draft guru from detroit can right the ship..

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This franchise needs to have the guys on This Old House involved.

CT CARDSFAN

Veteran
Reaction score
I want to rebuild the OL in free agency. Sign Evan Brown from Detroit or Nate Davis from Tennessee. In the third round, pick up a center; Jarrett Paterson, Notre Dame, Joe Tippmann, Wisconsin, or Ricky Stomberg, Arkansas. Resign Will Hernandez. There is enough cap space and enough to sign a corner like Jamel Dean after making some cuts. Cuts: Makus Golden save $3,080,000; Robbie Anderson save $12,000,000; Rodney Hudson save $3,050,000; Dennis Gardeck save $3,610,000. Maybe more after June 1st. Other cuts might happen, don't know.
Use the draft to upgrade the Defense. If you can get Anderson, do not trade back.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I want to rebuild the OL in free agency. Sign Evan Brown from Detroit or Nate Davis from Tennessee. In the third round, pick up a center; Jarrett Paterson, Notre Dame, Joe Tippmann, Wisconsin, or Ricky Stomberg, Arkansas. Resign Will Hernandez. There is enough cap space and enough to sign a corner like Jamel Dean after making some cuts. Cuts: Makus Golden save $3,080,000; Robbie Anderson save $12,000,000; Rodney Hudson save $3,050,000; Dennis Gardeck save $3,610,000. Maybe more after June 1st. Other cuts might happen, don't know.
Use the draft to upgrade the Defense. If you can get Anderson, do not trade back.
Robbie Sanderson at $12m is just wrong.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
100% build the Oline first priority.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Denver's roster isn't much more attractive IMO. That team stunk and Wilson was a very expensive corpse out there.
Yeah, but Denver has $9 million in cap space with 62 players under contract for 2023. Very few of their pending free agents are looking for a big second contract or are major contributors. It's one reason why the draft matters less to the 2023 Broncos than it does to us.

Denver was 10th in defensive DVOA. They were 3-9 in games decided by 7 points or fewer. They're getting Javonte Williams back.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
It is as much of a rebuild as the new GM and HC want it to be. You can sell of some older and expensive parts if you wanted and get younger. You can keep your older and more expensive assets and supplement with bargain players until your draft picks can contribute. Lots of different ways to approach this.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
If it were me.
trade Hop...dude wants out, this is a solid draft, get value while there is value to get.
get into some serious discussions with Allen and Murphy. They are both decent young players. But neither are stars.
eat as much dead cap as possible in 2023, fill out the roster with rookies and 1 year Jags

then look forward to 2024 where another solid draft and some decent FA's can put us in position to be a competitive team

having free agents under contract until they are 34 years old just has to stop

in this draft I would hope to get Anderson at 3
round 2 Ika or a CB
round 3 a center...should be a starting center here
round 3 comp pick running back...we need a real one

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Anderson - save $12m
Gardeck - save $2.8m
Golden - save $3m
Hudson - There are no savings. He restructured to become a June 1 cut.

Significant further Cap room comes from trading or restructuring Dhop, a new deal for Hollywood, and the restructuring of a few other likely starters - Humphries, Baker, Ertz, Conner.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, we are in a very offensive and vomitous rebuild.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose