Would Brian Flores really be all that bad??

Should Cardinals hire Brian Flores as Head Coach?

• Yes

Votes: 34 29.1%
  • No

Votes: 50 42.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 33 28.2%

• Total voters

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
MB and Monti would simply say that they lived up to their commitment to throw out a wide net and have concluded that he best meets the criteria they set going into the job interviews.

Oh yeah I know what they will say.

"We wanted to make sure we got the best man, and after casting a wide net it only confirmed what we thought as soon as we met with Brian".

In reality, you don't invite 3 more guys this last if 1 of the first 9 really rocked your boat.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something about casting a wide net rings a bell.
Lol… perfect plan. Our guy is right there for the taking after 3 weeks of casting a wide net and where our 1st choice went off the board. So let’s take even more time because then another team could take our 2nd choice while we continue searching… even though our 2nd choice is sitting there for us.

You don’t REALLY buy that, do you? That’s nonsensical.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The only reason to rush a hire is due to getting the rest of the staff you want.

The Colt's are nothing to worry about. Of the million guys they have interviewed the only crossovers are Eviro, Kafka, Glenn and Callahan.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol… perfect plan. Our guy is right there for the taking after 3 weeks of casting a wide net and where our 1st choice went off the board. So let’s take even more time because then another team could take our 2nd choice while we continue searching… even though our 2nd choice is sitting there for us.

You don’t REALLY buy that, do you? That’s nonsensical.

At this point there isn't really another team to compete with regarding Flores. As many people as the Colts have interviewed they haven't even sniffed around Flores.

But yeah having a HC in place to start building your team would be nice at this point.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only reason to rush a hire is due to getting the rest of the staff you want.

The Colt's are nothing to worry about. Of the million guys they have interviewed the only crossovers are Eviro, Kafka, Glenn and Callahan.
Lol… it would be a rush to hire a guy… AFTER THREE WEEKS OF SEARCHING.

And heaven forbid the only reason we “rush” is to actually have a chance at putting together a good staff around the HC. I mean, that’s never been an issue for this franchise before… well, ignoring the Kliff hire and staff around him… or Wilks and the pathetic staff around him.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Something about casting a wide net rings a bell.
I can paint a better picture for you, too...Given the BFlo lawsuit, if the Cardinals, or any team for that matter, runs right out and hires him, the optics would just be "well they only did it because of the lawsuit"...We even saw reports of that, when his name came up, with guys like Florio pointing out the obvious legal advantages of Mike hiring Flores. However, if they actually take their time and exhaust all realistic HC options (so far I haven't seen them interested in anyone that would just be a fluff interview) and hire BFlo, a real argument can be made he was the best man for the job. Because Mike really liked him back in 2018, it's doubtful they even need a 2nd interview this time around.

Anyway, that's just how I see things.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lol… it would be a rush to hire a guy… AFTER THREE WEEKS OF SEARCHING.

And heaven forbid the only reason we “rush” is to actually have a chance at putting together a good staff around the HC. I mean, that’s never been an issue for this franchise before… well, ignoring the Kliff hire and staff around him… or Wilks and the pathetic staff around him.

Not a single other team has hired a coordinator or other staff member yet. Colts are no cometition. What's a couple more days?

There won't be any more interviews after tomorrow and by riday I expect we have an announcement.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At this point there isn't really another team to compete with regarding Flores. As many people as the Colts have interviewed they haven't even sniffed around Flores.

But yeah having a HC in place to start building your team would be nice at this point.
If this team really is thinking Flores is their guy, maybe it might want to consider why no one else has sniffed around him… or why we’re continuing to sniff everywhere outside of him.

I just don’t buy he’s their 2nd choice because of those reasons or the building out a staff. It’s a nonsensical approach to making a hire like that.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this team really is thinking Flores is their guy, maybe it might want to consider why no one else has sniffed around him… or why we’re continuing to sniff everywhere outside of him.

I just don’t buy he’s their 2nd choice because of those reasons or the building out a staff. It’s a nonsensical approach to making a hire like that.

I honestly think MB didn't have much of a plan for a future HC prior to firing Kliff. MB is very loyal and I'm guessing that he had hoped Kliff could turn things around late in the season or something stupid like that. Sure there might have been names floating around his head but I doubt that MB had a list of them rank ordered prior to firing Kliff.

IMO MB didn't really start looking at HCs until he hired Monti and was honest about casting his net far and wide. Whether that is a smart strategy or not remains to be seen.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What? Of course they all are. That's why they are interviewing.

You asked a version of "Why are we interviewing Glenn when he's not been great at the Lions?" well it's because people think he has the qualities to be a good HC.

Nobody seems to be asking the same about Mike Kafka's stats who's offense was 18th in yards and 15th in points. 26th in passing and 24th in passing TD's.
Kafka would piss me off more.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
Kafka would piss me off more.
I'm not on fire for Kafka, but his resume seems pretty decent. You can argue he's more qualified, or at least as qualified as Eric Bienemy. Being QB coach for Mahomes, there's no questioning his actual role in the offense. He's actually done what Bienemy needs to do...break from Reid in order to get the next promotion.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I repeat. Connect the dots. MO hires his assistant from Detroit. He knows everthing he needs to know about Aaron Glenn. Glenn will be our next head coach and we will retain VJ as our DC.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
I repeat. Connect the dots. MO hires his assistant from Detroit. He knows everthing he needs to know about Aaron Glenn. Glenn will be our next head coach and we will retain VJ as our DC.
Like I've mentioned, I'll give anyone who's name doesn't rhyme with Vance Joseph a shot. To be honest, I'd rather have a different DC, though. Whoever it is, I'm all for Lincoln Riley's brother (OC at TCU) to come in and work with Kyler...there should be some familiarity.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think Glenn is getting a poor rep around here. Yes his Lions record is not great on paper but that was a team in turmoil that's going to take a while to turn around, and he's done that. He's apparently a great leader and coach. Players love working for him. He's very highly respected around the league. And he has a little scouting and FO work on his CV too so understands that side of football.
And let’s not forget that our Assistant GM came from the Lions too. When we hired MO, Bidwill did sound like it was his ultimate goal to create a franchise that stood the test of time. A team that could win over much longer stretches of time than what this franchise has ever been able to do. I still think that Payton didn’t fit that mindset. Payton would have been like BA, in that his decisions would provide very quick results. And once that window slammed shut, we would be back in a similar position that BA left us in. Could it be Glenn? Who knows. Hell it could be any of these guys & it would seem to better fit what MB & MO want to do here. Bidwill may say we’re not in a rebuild, but we almost have to be. The system he wants to build will not happen overnight. Doesn’t mean we can’t be a better TEAM than last year, but like the Lions under Campbell, it could take a couple years to see actual results from a win/loss standpoint.

RON_IN_OC

Reaction score
And let’s not forget that our Assistant GM came from the Lions too. When we hired MO, Bidwill did sound like it was his ultimate goal to create a franchise that stood the test of time. A team that could win over much longer stretches of time than what this franchise has ever been able to do. I still think that Payton didn’t fit that mindset. Payton would have been like BA, in that his decisions would provide very quick results. And once that window slammed shut, we would be back in a similar position that BA left us in. Could it be Glenn? Who knows. Hell it could be any of these guys & it would seem to better fit what MB & MO want to do here. Bidwill may say we’re not in a rebuild, but we almost have to be. The system he wants to build will not happen overnight. Doesn’t mean we can’t be a better TEAM than last year, but like the Lions under Campbell, it could take a couple years to see actual results from a win/loss standpoint.
Whoever the HC is, if he's given a trash roster like Wilks and comes up with 3 or 4 wins in year one, is Mike going to give him year 2?

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I am not saying I agree with the Vance Joseph part or the scenario as a whole in who I would want to hire for the positions, but it has as much logic as any other prediction and plausible

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So you'd be ok with Vance Joseph as the new HC? He's well respected throughout the league.
The only way I would want VJ has HC is if someone else ran their own defensive philosophy. Just assume he manage the game and let coordinators do the calls. But I hope it never comes to that

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
What a compelling and original vision for an NFL franchise.

This Bruce Arians slander will not stand, either. Bruce went 8-8 in a season when Blaine Gabbert and Drew Stanton combined for nine starts and David Johnson appeared in all of one game.

The Cards drafted one quarterback when Arians was head coach and he was a tight end.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Whoever the HC is, if he's given a trash roster like Wilks and comes up with 3 or 4 wins in year one, is Mike going to give him year 2?
Unless there are fisticuffs in the locker room like under Buddy Ryan, our next HC will be given at least 2 years & probably more. I’m not saying that Wilks had a good roster, but his ineptitude was worse than KK’s. We went 3-13 and 2 of our wins were against a Niners team that had more injuries that year than any team I have ever seen. And we lucked out winning both of those games. And our 3rd win was against a Packer team that had thoroughly quit on McCarthy. Packers dropped like 3 easy pick 6’s in the 2nd half.

PACardsFan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What a compelling and original vision for an NFL franchise.

This Bruce Arians slander will not stand, either. Bruce went 8-8 in a season when Blaine Gabbert and Drew Stanton combined for nine starts and David Johnson appeared in all of one game.

The Cards drafted one quarterback when Arians was head coach and he was a tight end.
Not sure what point you’re trying to make? I’m not sure this franchise has ever had a long term vision. Under BASK, they loaded up on vets that we hoped would get us over the hump. Almost did. Then the window slammed shut. BA is a very good coach so that 8-8 the last 2 years was misleading. Most Cardinal coaches would have only won 4-5 games those 2 years. I wasn’t bashing BA at all, just saying that he was 60 years old & wanted a roster that at best would hold up for 3 years. I don’t think that’s what MB wants moving forward.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose