Cardinals Head Coaching Candidates 2023

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
TO me, on the surface, that says the guy did EXACTLY what a HC needs to do. WOrk with what you got, find a way to win. Play to the abilities of your players.

I don't disagree but he didn't make Jones better. He just managed his weaknesses with less passing and more running.

And was it Kafka? Or was it Daboll who's also an OC background and just came from a team with a QB that runs a lot? I can't imagine Daboll taking over the Giants and no imposing his own offensive philosophy.

Kafka seems too early. I'm out on one year coordinators.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Mahomes is Mahomes, but playing a role in reversing Daniel Jones entire career arc is something to look at.

No idea how big of a voice he was in KC or NY obviously.
His issue is the ability to come up with a staff (similar to Kliff). Kafka just doesn't have many years in the NFL coaching world and has only been around two organizations (Giants only one year).

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I don't disagree but he didn't make Jones better. He just managed his weaknesses with less passing and more running.

And was it Kafka? Or was it Daboll who's also an OC background and just came from a team with a QB that runs a lot? I can't imagine Daboll taking over the Giants and no imposing his own offensive philosophy.

But that's what was needed for Jones.

I'd argue at this point, the Cardinals need to try and build a good ground game to support Murray first and foremost.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But that's what was needed for Jones.

I'd argue at this point, the Cardinals need to try and build a good ground game to support Murray first and foremost.

Again I agree, but making someone better through coaching and managing their weaknesses through scheme are two different things. Jones still sucks. We should all be clear on that. Kafka hasn't made him even a little better in all the things that he's always struggled with.

But also we don't know what was Daboll and what was Kafka.

Ginats would be dumb to pay him. They are never winning anything with Jones.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you gaslighting all of us? Thats a picture of DD over a song by FGTH. Y'alls grasp on 80s music is poor at best.
It looks like a mix-up on my part based upon on the video that popped up.

I stand corrected, Frankie Goes To Hollywood did indeed perform and write the song "Relax."
@Minski, I wasn't sure whether you were joking, or maybe Duran Duran really did cover "Relax"... a bit of Googling revealed that DD did play Relax live once (as part of a medley). If I could've found a recording of that, we could've really messed with @schutd's mind! :lol:

...dave

WiscoBird

Veteran
Reaction score

I was with you on the one year cordinators till I took a look at active cordinators around the league. I was shocked at how inexperienced the cordinators spots have become. The NFL is full of youth. The Cincinnati guys are some of the most experienced in the NFL right now.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I was with you on the one year cordinators till I took a look at active cordinators around the league. I was shocked at how inexperienced the cordinators spots have become. The NFL is full of youth. The Cincinnati guys are some of the most experienced in the NFL right now.
Yeah. Both are 3 year coordinators with the Bengals. Previously Callahan was a QB coach with the Raiders and Lou was a secondary coach with the Giants.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
At this point, what do you think Loomis would be willing to take? And which would you give him?
1. Our second.
2. Two thirds this year and next year's third.
3. Next year's first.

Lomax to Green 84

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Lou A from Cincy sure has a huge fan in Louis Riddick. I have great respect for Riddick, so to hear him gush about Lou A is really encouraging. Riddick said it’s more than just X’s and O’s. He said Lou A had great ideas and insight about things like salary cap management, roster construction, etc..

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
His issue is the ability to come up with a staff (similar to Kliff). Kafka just doesn't have many years in the NFL coaching world and has only been around two organizations (Giants only one year).
It would be a considerable surprise if Bidwill hired the same kind of guy twice in a row...rarely happens.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Again I agree, but making someone better through coaching and managing their weaknesses through scheme are two different things. Jones still sucks. We should all be clear on that. Kafka hasn't made him even a little better in all the things that he's always struggled with.

But also we don't know what was Daboll and what was Kafka.

Ginats would be dumb to pay him. They are never winning anything with Jones.
Players improve themselves. Coaches only help so much. Arians essentially said as much during the Amazon show. Coaches have such limited time with players during the offseason that self-improvement is like 90% of player improvement.

90% of what a coach does is getting the most out of a player by limiting their weaknesses and highlighting their strengths. It usually takes multiple years before a coach can coach up weaknesses.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It would be a considerable surprise if Bidwill hired the same kind of guy twice in a row...rarely happens.

Kafka has six years' experience as an NFL coach, including two seasons as passing game coordinator under Andy Reid, one of the best developers of coaching talent in the NFL. He has one less year of NFL experience than Zac Taylor had when he was hired by the Bengals.

I maintain that the problem with/for Kliff Kingsbury was that he had zero years of NFL experience when he came into the NFL. People like to roast him for being excited about Andy Isabella, but what do you expect from a guy who spent about 1.5 seasons around the NFL?

He didn't have a network here and got pushed around by Keim. By the time he was left hanging on his own, it was too late.

Players improve themselves. Coaches only help so much. Arians essentially said as much during the Amazon show. Coaches have such limited time with players during the offseason that self-improvement is like 90% of player improvement.

90% of what a coach does is getting the most out of a player by limiting their weaknesses and highlighting their strengths. It usually takes multiple years before a coach can coach up weaknesses.

100%. The NFL isn't about player development -- it's about execution. The players can work on themselves and work with each other in the offseason, but time is so limited that the preseason is all about installing the playbook and getting the offense/defense/special teams to run like clockwork.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
No it doesnt.
The Saints have to believe payton is out of options and Az is willing to walk away...otherwise they wont lower their asking price.
Until we actually hire a guy, payton is still in the mix...
But ya never know, payton screwed NO when he bailed on them...maybe they just want to screw him back.
I feel we’re waiting for them to lower their asking price. Only way to do that is to walk away from the table.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Kafka has six years' experience as an NFL coach, including two seasons as passing game coordinator under Andy Reid, one of the best developers of coaching talent in the NFL. He has one less year of NFL experience than Zac Taylor had when he was hired by the Bengals.

I maintain that the problem with/for Kliff Kingsbury was that he had zero years of NFL experience when he came into the NFL. People like to roast him for being excited about Andy Isabella, but what do you expect from a guy who spent about 1.5 seasons around the NFL?

He didn't have a network here and got pushed around by Keim. By the time he was left hanging on his own, it was too late.

100%. The NFL isn't about player development -- it's about execution. The players can work on themselves and work with each other in the offseason, but time is so limited that the preseason is all about installing the playbook and getting the offense/defense/special teams to run like clockwork.
This highlights my concern with Kyler and the new HC. (Not to hijack this to another Kyler debate) I just don't see Kyler as the guy who is gong to do this on his own and none of these candidates are experienced enough (to me) to navigate that. I guess in two seasons they can bail on him but then you are starting over, again, with a rookie QB or a retread vet after two losing seasons (likely).

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This highlights my concern with Kyler and the new HC. (Not to hijack this to another Kyler debate) I just don't see Kyler as the guy who is gong to do this on his own and none of these candidates are experienced enough (to me) to navigate that. I guess in two seasons they can bail on him but then you are starting over, again, with a rookie QB or a retread vet after two losing seasons (likely).
There are we two things. One is installing an NFL caliber offense, and two is convincing Kyler to become a real franchise-caliber starting quarterback.

I think one alone is enough to get this team competitive again. Get both and you’re competing for Super Bowls.