Crying about the refs….

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many times have you heard a coach say, “ Take it out of the Refs hands.”?
What do fans want? Should the NFL have 24 cameras, one on every player? Maybe 24 refs in the sky reviewing each play?
Can you imagine 10 cameras on the offensive and defensive lines? You could conceivably have holding on every play.

Could there be corruption among a few refs. Perhaps. But how? When would they know to throw a flag at precisely the right time to change the outcome of a game?

The refs are going to piss off 1/2 the fans even when they get the call right. No matter how the Bengals/ Chiefs game was reffed in your eyes, they might be still be playing if not for a blatant unnecessary roughness penalty.

The refs are attempting to do a thankless job making calls AS THEY SEE THEM instantaneously while 22 very athletic bodies are flying around in every direction. And if replays finds they are wrong they correct it.

Probably one thing that should be looked into is the OBVIOUS wrong calls that are deemed non-reviewable.

Like the block in the back on Harrison’s int. return in our Super Bowl.

JMHO.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It boils down to incompetence. Until we have full-time refs it will continue to be a problem.
Even if we have full time refs, they are human. They will still make mistakes.
I believe the only real thing they could address is on why certain things that are blatantly obvious can’t be reviewed.

FB94

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Basketball and MLB have seasons that seem to go on forever, which you could say the refs are full time. Bottom line they are human beings and make mistakes.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It boils down to incompetence. Until we have full-time refs it will continue to be a problem.
What does them being full time really do? Theoretically, they wouldn’t ref games year round so how are they going to get better? Watch film?

I am skeptical that it makes a difference to make them full time. I am interested to hear your take

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Refs need to be more consistent over the course of a season. need to only call penalties that are relevant to the outcome of a play if at all possible. I see too many tick tack calls that are irrelevant to the outcome of a play that change the course of a game.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
What does them being full time really do? Theoretically, they wouldn’t ref games year round so how are they going to get better? Watch film?

I am skeptical that it makes a difference to make them full time. I am interested to hear your take
Professional development. Working year round would get them through infinitely more workshops, trainings, live-fire (so to speak) exercises, classes, etc. Imagine the different do just don't those on occasion and then reffing games to doing so 5 days a week in the offseason for 8 hours a day, or however they want to lay out the work week.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Professional development. Working year round would get them through infinitely more workshops, trainings, live-fire (so to speak) exercises, classes, etc. Imagine the different do just don't those on occasion and then reffing games to doing so 5 days a week in the offseason for 8 hours a day, or however they want to lay out the work week.
But, but, but, how will the cash strapped NFL owners PAY for full time refs? They barely have enough money to make ends meet. :sarcasm:

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I get burned up when I see a ref RIGHT THERE miss an obvious call. That's when it becomes a problem. Either learn the rules and enforce them or find another profession.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
The late hit on Burrows was so obvious, the ref who was standing right there either was so incompetent or decided to just ignore it. I could probably pull a 100 other instances during the season where similar hits were flagged every time.

The intentional grounding call, can anyone tell me when was the last time you saw the refs huddle together and then throw a flag? We have seen it the other way around but I can't recall ever seeing a huddle before a flag. And to make it worse, #34 Perine was only a couple yards from where the ball hit the ground.

In the second half there was an extremely late hit on the Bengal running back when they had the ball near the Chiefs end zone and no flag. The Bengals scored a TD, but again another blatant miss/non call.

I get that it's a hard job to see everything as ref. I reffed soccer for 10 years and with soccer you are asked to watch 22 players and call a good game with just 3 refs and when your the center ref you not only need to watch the players but you need to see your two sideline refs too because the only communications is by sight. For me the only way to call a good game was to remain focused and drown out the fans and the players and have your entire focus on the game itself.

gamebird98

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I refereed for 15 years. Mostly high school and some D3 college football. The speed that things happen on the field is incredible. Just the difference between high school and D3 ball was night and day. I can't even imagine the speed in the NFL. The fact that they get as many of the calls correct is quite impressive in my opinion. Keeping in mind, we get 10 different camera angles...in High definition and super slow motion.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson