POLL: Sean Payton in 2023 (Officially Going to Denver)

Should Cardinals pursue Sean Payton after the season?

• Yes

Votes: 175 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 15.0%

• Total voters

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't really expect to hear anything until Sunday at the earliest at this point, and more realistically, not until Monday.

Sunday's early game is on Fox, with plenty of leadup, and I could imagine Fox has either begged him to keep it quiet until the broadcast and announce it there in a designated segment, or a day after so it doesn't interrupt planned coverage. Any Saturday announcement makes everyone on the broadcasting team have to scramble (my buddy works for Fox's main NFL broadcasting, so I have a solid idea of how locked in this stuff tends to be). Hell, he could also have space there to announce he's coming back to Fox.

Not that a leak would shock me, either.
Would love to see it, but I don’t think the NFL wants their Conference Championship games upstaged by a coaching hire. I don’t see it happening today, so if it happens, it’ll be Monday at the earliest. I think the Cardinals want a coach before the end of the month, which is Tuesday.

WiscoBird

Veteran
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I don't buy it. If Joseph was the guy than what's the hold up? Mike Bidwill has to know that he is the worst case scenario. The fan base won't buy it and you are going to get the "same old Cards" talk.

You just invested 230 million dollars in your QB. You have the opportunity to bring in one of the best offensive minds in the game and a guy who has had success with a shorter QB. If it's not Payton the only other reason why they haven't hired a guy is the reports about Ryans were not accurate and they are waiting to interview him.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I don't buy it. If Joseph was the guy than what's the hold up? Mike Bidwill has to know that he is the worst case scenario. The fan base won't buy it and you are going to get the "same old Cards" talk.

You just invested 230 million dollars in your QB. You have the opportunity to bring in one of the best offensive minds in the game and a guy who has had success with a shorter QB. If it's not Payton the only other reason why they haven't hired a guy is the reports about Ryans were not accurate and they are waiting to interview him.
He has to make good on his "casting a wide net" speech...even if that net has a short handle that doesn't reach beyond Hardy Drive.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
99% of the stuff online about all these coaching hires. It's nothing more than guesswork in the hope that they get it right and can say "told you".

I thought Payton was using the Cards for leverage with Denver but the fact he spent 7 hours here and there's no sign of a 2nd visit to Denver I think it's Cards or Fox.

But I don't think anyone in the media has a clue and it's all click bait.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
It is appearing to me that he doesn´t want the job. If he did all he has to do is say so and I would think it is his at this point.

Either that or there is some big hurdle that the three of them can´t agree on. But that doesn´t seem likely to me.

I am starting to wonder if he will coach anywhere this year. He might think he will get a lot more if he turns down one or more teams this year and plays hard to get for a season.

Jasper

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Facts so far.

1. SP interviewed other teams remotely and/or other teams came to see him in LA/NY.

2. He spend the whole day last thursday at our complex.

3. No other interviews are scheduled for SP.

4. Absolutely quiet since thursday

Either an agreement was reached before KK was fired.
Now just tying up loose ends, assembling the staff.

or

He has cold feet and wants to return to Fox

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
Will SP be in the broadcast booth this weekend? I would imagine if so he will get grilled about his plans for next season....booth, or coach????

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The challenge and opportunity to take not one, but two, perennial sad sack franchises to a Super Bowl victory is the stuff of legends imo. Returning to the Fox broadcast booth may mean that Sean Payton misses out on that opportunity.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave