Mavericks @ Suns Thursday game thread 1-26-2023

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This bench is simply thin. It's not as deep as they appear. It's good for occasional game where someone goes off but for the most part they are inconsistent, and you can't depend on them. When you have a starter who goes 6/20 it's a lock we are going to lose.

THIS TEAM NEEDS HELP.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This bench is simply thin. It's not as deep as they appear. It's good for occasional game where someone goes off but for the most part they are inconsistent, and you can't depend on them. When you have a starter who goes 6/20 it's a lock we are going to lose.

THIS TEAM NEEDS HELP.

Suns bench tonight

11 points
8 rebounds

That’s not good

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who in the world was guarding Dinwiddie in that game--nobody?
They were talking about this on NBA Radio. They didn't understand what Monty's strategy was. They said something like 80% of the shots Dinwiddie made were on switches. Meaning that the Suns were constantly giving him mismatches with various players.

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Dinwiddie went off watch the high lights, he was lights out. Its hard to defend a 30 and 40 foot shot. Dallas front court is so big

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who in the world was guarding Dinwiddie in that game--nobody?

Predominantly whomever was playing the 4 or 5 is whom he scored on. Bridges was usually on the opposite side.

So they bring him away from Bridges, wait for the switch, and he scored.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve never seen a Suns game day thread get so ridiculous. It happens every Sunday with the Cardinals that game day thread is bad.

I think it’s crystal clear Kidd has figured out Monty and Monty is helpless.

Ayton
Hate: 6/20 FGA
Love: 7/10 FTA
Love: 20 rebounds.

His shot was off first game back meh. At this point honestly I hope he gets traded. I don’t think there has ever been a player that divides this fan base like Ayton. It’s human nature to want to be validated and when he has a bad night the Ayton critics scream to high Heaven I TOLD YOU SO.

Bridges I’m good with him being moved to. Let me know when our defensive stopper actually stops anyone in an important game. That stupid 3 point celebration has to go and I blame Monty for letting amateur hour stuff like that go.

I am SHOCKED these two teams have the same record. The sky is falling in Phoenix, yet Luka is getting MVP talk in Dallas.

Both players were rightfully ripped this morning on 98.7.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They were talking about this on NBA Radio. They didn't understand what Monty's strategy was. They said something like 80% of the shots Dinwiddie made were on switches. Meaning that the Suns were constantly giving him mismatches with various players.

I've pointed this out a few times from the previous Mavs games. Suns just switch everything, Mavs just get the matchup they want all too easy. Perfect example was when they targeted Saric. The Mavs actually plan/scout the other teams and build real strategy, add a good Coach like Kidd, success. Instead we have motivational Monty, running the same crap that just doesn't work.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ayton had a great game by his standards, and since he bothered to show up and give the effort I demand of him, I don't care to jump on his back for late-game errors. I blame the loss on the bench and on the failure to guard Dinwiddie.

What a wasted opportunity. Doncic not playing most of the game only makes the Suns look ridiculous.
Don’t mistake rebounds for effort. Ayton was lazy and ineffectual on defense and gawd awful offensively. His 3 pointer was a terrible decision at a terrible juncture in the game. Even the color guy was berating him for that shot.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That’s our defense. We switch everything or go over on occasion, but mainly switch. Random weak doubles which lead to easily identidied wide open 3s.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I've pointed this out a few times from the previous Mavs games. Suns just switch everything, Mavs just get the matchup they want all too easy. Perfect example was when they targeted Saric. The Mavs actually plan/scout the other teams and build real strategy, add a good Coach like Kidd, success. Instead we have motivational Monty, running the same crap that just doesn't work.
Yup. It’s in stark contrast with the difficulty we have forcing defensive matchups we want other than getting Ayton to pin down a smaller defender whom he refuses to overpower.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris Paul says his left hand is"cool."

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve never seen a Suns game day thread get so ridiculous. It happens every Sunday with the Cardinals that game day thread is bad.

I think it’s crystal clear Kidd has figured out Monty and Monty is helpless.

Ayton
Hate: 6/20 FGA
Love: 7/10 FTA
Love: 20 rebounds.

His shot was off first game back meh. At this point honestly I hope he gets traded. I don’t think there has ever been a player that divides this fan base like Ayton. It’s human nature to want to be validated and when he has a bad night the Ayton critics scream to high Heaven I TOLD YOU SO.

Bridges I’m good with him being moved to. Let me know when our defensive stopper actually stops anyone in an important game. That stupid 3 point celebration has to go and I blame Monty for letting amateur hour stuff like that go.

I am SHOCKED these two teams have the same record. The sky is falling in Phoenix, yet Luka is getting MVP talk in Dallas.
I don’t think Ayton is as polarizing as you believe. At this point I believe the overwhelming majority of suns fans think he’s a disappointment/tease and then there’s a small minority who thinks he’s Superman.

This board is solid proof of that. We’re a pretty good microcosm of the fan base.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to feel amused, because I was skeptical of the entire team's depth a long time ago when everyone seemed to be touting it. Unreliable players don't count for depth.
Many of us were skeptical of the team's offseason and lack of depth. Go back and look.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don’t think Ayton is as polarizing as you believe. At this point I believe the overwhelming majority of suns fans think he’s a disappointment/tease and then there’s a small minority who thinks he’s Superman.

This board is solid proof of that. We’re a pretty good microcosm of the fan base.

And that’s exactly what I’m talking about.

Nobody here thinks he’s “Superman” that’s how you want people to feel. I’ve been plenty realistic about Ayton and what he is and plenty critical but yet that’s never talked about.

Ok let’s trade him. See is we can get some solid guys for him at this point. Hopefully an unprotected first

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had time to sleep on it
Ayton is still a soft turd
We’ve had 4 plus years to sleep on it.

I’m not gonna call DA a turd, but we have had almost half a decade showing dude’s softer than Charmin.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What was it? 11 shots missed in the paint....the FREAKING paint. He converts half of those....it's game over. But no.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don’t mistake rebounds for effort. Ayton was lazy and ineffectual on defense and gawd awful offensively. His 3 pointer was a terrible decision at a terrible juncture in the game. Even the color guy was berating him for that shot.

Rebounds are 100% an effort stat.

So when he gets 7 rebounds he shouldn’t be ripped for lack of effort?

Nothing is more effort than rebounding and defense in basketball.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rebounds are 100% an effort stat.

So when he gets 7 rebounds he shouldn’t be ripped for lack of effort?

Nothing is more effort than rebounding and defense in basketball.
Effort is a big part of it but it's just a part of it. Rebounding out of your area though is almost entirely effort and that's one of DA's weaknesses.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We’ve had 4 plus years to sleep on it.

I’m not gonna call DA a turd, but we have had almost half a decade showing dude’s softer than Charmin.
Definitely not a turd and he is a good player. However, the ship has sailed (hope) that he will turn into the next David Robinson/Tim Duncan level player that is usually expected from the #1 overall pick. It is what it is.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose