POLL: Sean Payton in 2023 (Officially Going to Denver)

Should Cardinals pursue Sean Payton after the season?

• Yes

Votes: 175 85.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 15.0%

• Total voters

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Like Buck and has been mentioned before, compensation was agreed to when permission was granted. It's why originally only 3 of 5 teams were granted permission...2 said no, then 1 of them said yes a couple days later. Can't remember if it was Houston or Carolina.
Possibly 3 out of those 5 were actually interested? I doubt that means compensation was agreed to before actually interviewing the guy unless Bidwill is a fool, which he probably is.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just thought of something hilarious. So, Mikey fired Kliff and Keim before their extensions even started, right?

How Cardinals would it be for them to turn around and fire Monti a week after signing him to close the deal with Payton? It’s not like Mikey is adverse to sunk costs!

Last edited:

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I just thought of something hilarious. So, Mikey fired Kliff and Keim before their extensions even started, right?

How Cardinals would it be for them to turn around and fire Monti a week after signing him to close the deal with Payton? It’s not like Mikey is adverse to sunk costs!
Hate to say it but the fact
Monti was Bidwill's backup option makes me ok giving Payton control. Also Payton had plenty of players with lots of ego. Thats ok to have when you got the right coach to control/lead them.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hate to say it but the fact
Monti was Bidwill's backup option makes me ok giving Payton control. Also Payton had plenty of players with lots of ego. Thats ok to have when you got the right coach to control/lead them.
Uh… I think Bidwill is an idiot of biblical proportions if he chooses Monti over Payton. Fire the dude if you have to as far as I’m concerned.

But this also flies in the face of “the agreement came to be a month ago” smoke some are peddling here. If this agreement was made a month ago, why would Mikey go get a GM who’s role would then get in the way of bringing Payton on board?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why do I feel were going to be the one left standing when the music stops?

Mike thinks he's getting Payton. Flores take a DC job because he's tired of waiting. Payton then goes to Denver and we're left with a bunch of guys who were 5th or 6th choice.

Reactions: PJ1

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Looking all around YouTube today everyone who is talking about Payton seems to not even acknowledge that he was/is in AZ. They are all talking about him going back to Fox... crazy stuff.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
I think it’s called taking leftovers or desperation. Like I gotta get something before they run out.
Out of all the jobs out there, AZ has the most to offer SP. I don’t blame him even a little for leveraging all/everything he has to maximize his $$$. I’m pretty sure I’ve read that league wide nearly a billion has been spent over the last 5 yrs on coaches who are no longer with those respective teams. If I were SP I’d play it the same way.

Wolf declared “Friday” (today) would be the day the organization would announce the new HC.

People I respect on this board aren’t keen on SP being the next HC, but I got to meet him/have some candid conversations with him; he is cool as ish, a real badass, and knows how to lead men.

I’m going to be elated if this happens.